S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The Art Lovers' Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 07:28 AM

Received 4,929 Likes on 2,989 Posts

Here's my latest..a pen & chalk illustration of MGA's racing roots.

If anyone is interested here is the story behind the two race cars and transporter:

MGA’s racing roots

The new MGA two-seater to replace the MG TF was publicly presented in September 1955 at Frankfurt, Germany. In June three protypes, works registered EX182’s, appeared at the LeMans 24-Hour race, ostensibly to gain experience before finalizing the design, but this was really making a virtue of necessity. Production of the TF ceased in April and the new cars should have been rolling out by June. The first production car, 10101, was built from May 16 to 25th but production was delayed due to trouble with experimental plastic body tools. It did not come off the finishing line until July 27th. By year end the total output was a mere 1,063 with all but 90 for export.

For twenty-five years MGs had been based on the stark, slab-tanked swept-wing cars of the twenties, but as speeds rose, the laws of aerodynamics defeated them. Above 85 mph the addition of extra horsepower produced little effect. The streamlined body of the new MGA, which Syd Enever, MG’s Chief Engineer, approved in June 1954, paid dividends with higher performance, better weather protection, more space for passengers and under-cover accommodation for luggage. LeMans would demonstrate their high-speed reliability.

In December 1954 MG lifted its ban to return to official competition after 20-years. The newly formed B.M.C. Competition Department soon had four cars, a magnificent new transporter, and the mechanics, all under the command of Marcus Chambers, Competition Manager. The workshop-transporter was B.M.C.’s impressive 1955 Morris Commercial with a body by Appleyard of Leeds.

At their LeMans appearance the cars had special Weslake crossflow heads for the B.M.C. “B-series” engine but externally the cars followed the intended production car very closely, except they were alloy bodies rather than steel. Four cars were prepared; one to bear the blunt of pre-race testing. A constant lap speed of 85 mph for 24 hours was the target. In the race #64 hit a speed of 119.5 mph on the straight. #42 had a serious crash shortly after the tragic horror of a grandstand crash in which over 80 spectators died. In spite of its darkest moments, the 24 Hours of LeMans remains one of the greatest events in all motor sports. Lockett and Miles finished 12th overall in #41, averaging 86 mph, and #64 finished 17th. Thus MGA wrote a new chapter in MG’s rich racing history.

MGA was publicly presented to the USA in May 1956 at the New York Motor Show. John Thornley, MG’s General Manager, returned with 3,600 orders. Jocelyn Hambro, offspring of a London banking family, managed against all odds to set up a distribution network for MGs. Hambro Automobile Corp. on 57th Street in NY City had a staff of 500 for the complex financing and broking operation of importing MGAs for well-known distributors such as JS Inskip and Wacky Arnolt. Hambro advertised heavily in the car magazines of the day.

For the 1956 Sebring 12-Hour race, North American BMC dealers entered three MGA’s. NY distributor, Inskip, prepared MGAs for David Ash and Gus Ehrman. The cars finished 4th, 5th, and 6th in class assuring them the team prize. Ash wrote about his 1956 experience in an article entitled “Preparing for Sebring” published in Sports Cars Illustrated. Car #51 with its highly recognizable twin blue stripes and octagons was featured in a 1957 AMOCO film on Sebring. MGA’s took the team prize again for a first and second in class. Probably no other MGA has had its photo in so many ads, book covers, film and countless other publicity items than #51. Ash was a wholesale sales distributor for Inskip and fantastic publicist. Known as “Mr. MG”, he was responsible for selling 5,000 MG’s and establishing 200 dealerships over his 14 years with Inskip.

Private owners still race MGAs in vintage-racing series throughout the USA and Europe. MGAs have never stopped competing and never will.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:48 AM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,565 Posts

Nice, Dave!
Old 11-29-2014, 12:26 PM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Really nice, Dave. Talent! You've got it!
Old 11-30-2014, 03:38 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

Wow! Great story and very nice drawing, Dave.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:03 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow! That’s a beautiful illustration and a well written documentary, Dave.

gary
Old 11-30-2014, 09:07 PM

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Here's my latest..a pen & chalk illustration of MGA's racing roots.
Very nice!!!
Old 12-04-2014, 07:46 AM

Received 4,929 Likes on 2,989 Posts

Thanks for the nice comments. Experience has taught me never to go back and try to correct mistakes once you sign off. However, I knew from the start I made the dark shadow from the truck too black. Probably not as noticeable in the photo. So I went back to see if I could soften it up, which I did, and it turned out ok. Then I added a title.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:40 AM

We are using this painting of the +1's as our Christmas card. Although we got some other cards, since it appears it may be too late to send these by the time we get them back from the printer. Might be next year's card.

He's done another sailing ship I need to post. His classmates think he should concentrate on ships since he does the detail in the rigging so well. Here is an earlier painting of the USS CONSTITUTION. He gave this one to a friend of his who was the captain of the ship in Boston Harbor for a couple of years. We got a VIP tour of the ship - very .

This last one is a favorite of mine.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:00 AM

His five paintings he took into the office for a charity auction are getting some fairly big bucks already. Auction ends on Dec 15. Will be interesting to see how much each one earns. Peeps are raving about them, even though to me they are not his best stuff. Just some I was willing to part with. I can't find one of them, a bar scene.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:20 AM

Here is the one he took to the art class party the other night. The teacher said bring the one you would take if your house is burning down. He took this because he said I love meerkats and he did it for me. Such a sweetheart.

Quick Reply: The Art Lovers' Thread