S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Avanti

Old 09-16-2003, 06:18 PM

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Avanti

Golden Hawk
Old 09-16-2003, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I understand the history, the Avanti II was the same as Studebaker's original, but w. Chevy drivetrains. The later 80's-90's car is based on GM underpinnings (Monte Carlo, Camero, I'm not sure) and doesn't really look like the same car, and may be called something else--GT, whatever.
Re Golden Hawk--when I first saw these in the late 50's they were very exciting cars. They seemed very low to the ground. and you did sit low compared to the family Buick. The gauges were round and the shifter was on the floor--very European, it seemed. My older brother would buy neat cars from time to time and let me drive them; a Silver Hawk was among them (not supercharged: the Golden was blown). Another time he appeared w. an MG-TF (headlights partially sunk into the fenders). Both cars felt like low-slung rocket sleds. It's funny: today they both look rather square and upright, more brick than rocket. Beautiful still, tho.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:22 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Does anyone like the regular Studebakers from the late 40's/ early 50's???

The ones with the propellor front end, aerodynamic design, some with the split rear window
Old 09-17-2003, 07:28 AM

It would appear that the Avanti is still being manufactured: http://www.dealerauto.com/index.htm?pag=avanti.htm

I always thought that the '53 Coupe was the prettiest of the Studebakers, but the Avanti was a close second. Jerry, I do remember the 1948-1952 model you described. I think it was called a "Starlight Coupe," but I'm not sure. Regardless, the Studebakers were an interesting car.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:39 AM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

Speaking of Golden Hawks...does anyone remember diamond chains? A short lived traction device from the past? I seem to remember seeing them on a golden hawk once.

fltsfshr
Old 09-17-2003, 06:49 PM

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,105 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fltsfshr
Speaking of Golden Hawks...does anyone remember diamond chains?
Old 09-17-2003, 09:06 PM

Studebakers were always interesting cars: often heralded for design but short on quality control. I never could seem to afford one, so they were apparently priced above many common makes. I was unhappy when they went out of business in 1966 as I was saving my pennies.
The 1948 was ahead of its time (the "propeller" model, "You can't tell whether it's coming or going!"). It probably wasn't as advanced as the Tucker or Kaiser/Fraser of the time, tho. The '53 was the real beauty; it was the Starliner. It won awards, but rattled and rusted badly. I also love the Avanti and the Hawks. There were two generations of Hawks, the 57's and a later, 60 model which was much larger, both beautiful, I think.
I've never heard of diamond chains. Studebaker had another nice device I remember, called the "hill holder". In standard tranny cars, when stopped on a hill at a light, just touch the brake pedal with the clutch in and the brake will hold the car until you drive off. No more clutch slipping. Why can't cars have that today?
Old 09-17-2003, 09:35 PM

Testut- That Avanti link was interesting; it didn't give much info, did it? I guess they've bought the name Avanti from whoever owned it. They don't look as good as Studebaker's original; somehow they seem too long to me. But in comparing the lengths, there isn't much difference! The Study versions were a tad longer, from 192"-197", verses this GM hybrid's 187". Ralper, aren't you surprised at that? I've always carried around the idea of the Avanti as a stubby, compact 4 place GT car, even after seeing a dozen of them this year. But they're as long as our Acura TL! Amazing to me how design can fool the eye, or at least mine. I wonder what designers would do to make a contemporary Avanti? Certainly reduce the front overhang, move the wheels out more with fat tires, and give it real bucket seats, I should think.
Old 09-18-2003, 03:30 AM

Originally posted by The Professor
Studebaker had another nice device I remember, called the "hill holder". In standard tranny cars, when stopped on a hill at a light, just touch the brake pedal with the clutch in and the brake will hold the car until you drive off. No more clutch slipping. Why can't cars have that today?
The hill holder was an interesting device and made a lot of sense, especially to folks, like myself, who drive in hilly, urban areas. I believe it consisted of an extra brake on the back of the transmission. It wasn't perfect, however, as a friend told me his would suddenly engage if he were to back up quickly. I think that Studebaker used their customers for R & D.

As for cars today, the Subaru did offer a "hill holder" within the last decade, but I don't know if they still offer it. Anyone?
Old 09-18-2003, 03:45 AM

Received 2,577 Likes on 1,563 Posts

Boy, you guys really know your cars! I, on the other hand, just love them for their looks, mostly...some of them anyway. I don't like the design of the newer MBs, for example. I prefer the older models, like my 1982 240D. Simple, classic lines. I kept it for 20 years - very reliable car, never a problem. Would have held on to it if I had had the garage space... But I did get my baby, so the news wasn't all bad! I really think the stock S, like the Avanti, has that simple, classic line that I miss in other cars today.

Quick Reply: Avanti