S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Bad news, could be worse...

Old 07-11-2019, 09:22 AM

Received 784 Likes on 434 Posts
Default Bad news, could be worse...

All-

Just wanted to give this community a little bit of my personal life recently. I'd suspect this community may have some experience unfortunately in the space.

Cindy, my wife has breast cancer. It's ductal carcinoma, a slow moving, non-aggressive version. All the tests and markers are aligned and the current path forward is a lumpectomy (July 16) and then a radiation regiment.

They found the mass as just a "something odd" on a CT Scan (not good for finding tumors/masses) for her yearly checkup from her heart surgery. That led to two mammograms and a biopsy and a few discussions with a team at UPenn Hospital.

What's interesting is the amount of "down" comments about how unlucky she's been from people. The flip side is that maybe she's been very lucky. The severity of her heart condition was found during a new doctor/visit checkup after she got shingles. The mass was found during a routine checkup for her heart. So, while both conditions are significant, severe and could be devastating, they were both found in time.

I'm doing OK. I'm very pragmatic, so we have the data we have and until something changes, that's the reality of it. Cindy is much less that way. She's evaluating every possibility (almost all of which are worse than the scenario that exists today) and looking down ratholes at every chance. I guess that's my job? - to keep her sane?
The following users liked this post:
JoePhotographer (08-13-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 09:40 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A bitter scenario, Gary. I hope that you have the ability to keep your wife in an upbeat mindset. Doing so could be a lifesaving effort. May she have good luck and God’s graces.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:43 AM

Received 3,509 Likes on 2,375 Posts

Gary, first congrats on the sunny side up view of the world.
Sometimes life takes a crap in our hat.
We can be mad that we have crap in our hat or be Happy we didn't put it on our head!!!!

If your married, yup it's your job to help maintain sanity. It's tough at times but as times goes by she will get used to it and I suspect her attitude will improve.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:54 AM

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Gary, always look on the bright side. My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer in January. She was sure that nothing good would come of it and the end was coming. I on the other hand kept a positive attitude in an effort to keep her attitude up. Her latest test show that some of the tumors have shrunk and a few other have not increased.

Our thoughts and prayers are with your wife and with you! It CAN be beat!!!!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
JoePhotographer (08-13-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 10:58 AM

Received 2,982 Likes on 1,659 Posts

I see Cindy's health predicament as you do, Gary. The issues were discovered early and they are treatable! I hope Jerry is correct and once the shock of it wears off she'll see the bright side.

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
Gary, always look on the bright side. My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer in January. She was sure that nothing good would come of it and the end was coming. I on the other hand kept a positive attitude in an effort to keep her attitude up. Her latest test show that some of the tumors have shrunk and a few other have not increased.

Our thoughts and prayers are with your wife and with you! It CAN be beat!!!!!!!!
Awesome, David!

Old 07-11-2019, 11:00 AM

Received 2,592 Likes on 1,569 Posts

Yes, if you have to have cancer, breast cancer is probably the best one in terms of remission/cure rates. It sucks to have anything, of course. I would say for her own mental health, she needs to get rid of those people in her life who are not supportive and positive. You are obviously not one of those.

David - that is good news about your wife!
Old 07-11-2019, 11:21 AM

Received 784 Likes on 434 Posts

Thanks all.

Scoots- Good to hear your wife is improving as well.

MsP - even within the breast cancer, this kind is better than many.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:45 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Our thoughts and prayers are with your wife and with you!
Old 07-11-2019, 11:46 AM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Gary good luck to Cindy and to you as you cheer her on. It does appear her preventive visits have worked in her favor. Early diagnosis is key.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:28 PM

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

Dude... So sorry. Praying for her.

Quick Reply: Bad news, could be worse...