S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Is baseball why people smoked?

Old 06-12-2017, 05:19 PM

Received 4,917 Likes on 2,982 Posts
Default Is baseball why people smoked?

Just venting: I am in the minority but I find baseball the slowest and most boring game there is. Can I be the only one who feels like that? Seems so.

Just got back from 7 long innings with 7/8th graders. One of my grandson's is a 7th grader and got to sit out the entire game because they were up against one of the best two teams in this league and winning is everything to coaches. So, he and the other 7th graders get to watch too. Normally he does play 2nd base since he made the cut to even be on the team. But, honestly, even if he were playing every second I'd still be bored. His younger brother was at baseball practice on the other side of town. Between the two of them they play every M-T-W-T and since that isn't enough the older one is on a travel team that will be playing a double header an hour away on Saturday. And, is starting to ref at younger games!

OMG I can not understand how this game in this day and age is still so popular. I loved going to my oldest grandson's hockey, and my middle grandson's football and basketball games. But baseball takes so long and is so slow and is so boring I just don't get it, other than just about any kid can stand around bored in the early years and say they were on a team. Last summer the family dragged me to the major's and thankfully they have booze but otherwise it was no different. And the Tiger's won. And we saw a Tiger hit a home run with the bases loaded. They tell me that's rare but ask me if I care.

4 weeks of baseball done and only 4 more weeks to go. Done venting!

Last edited by dlq04; 06-12-2017 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:29 PM

Received 1,128 Likes on 991 Posts

No, the most boring spectator game is soccer. First team to score goes into a prevent defense and you may as well leave then as the score will still be 1-0 at the end of the game. Well it seems like it anyway.

I attended a AAA game last summer with a "pitch timer" as part of the game. Still dragged on forever. I understand Cricket games can last days...

-- Chuck
Old 06-12-2017, 06:17 PM

Received 1,423 Likes on 954 Posts

Uh... I vote for Curling, as a spectator sport. And I've sat and watch a hour's worth of competition, on CBS Sports.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:49 PM

Received 2,735 Likes on 1,613 Posts

I'm with you, Dave! I've been to one major league baseball game in my life, it was one too many. I'm not a bit sports fan, but back in the Larry Bird days, I watched a fair amount of basketball. I can tolerate a football game on TV, I don't watch hockey. I do not mind watching the grandson's soccer game. It's over in an hour. I enjoy going from time to time, but I don't feel the need to be at every game.

I'm sure I've mentioned our house is directly across from a little league field. I see these parents and kids out in the nasty spring weather and the heat of the summer. They take it seriously, but participation seems to be down over previous years. Two towns have merged together. I wish they would all just go away.....last week they had the local radio station broadcasting live....most annoying. We used the noise as an excuse to head out for dinner in the S. I guess that's making lemonade out of lemons.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:17 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Baseball is tough to watch. I get so bored that my attention shifts and I usually miss the one good play in the game because I was focused on something else. I agree with watching soccer. Golf is up there too. I could watch football if they got rid of the timeouts, shortened the commercials and got on with playing the game. I have a hard time watching racing too. Nascar, F1, Indy are all tough to watch. Too long, too many races won in the pits, and not enough passing. I like motorcycle racing and the SCCA Runoffs as they are 45 minute sprint races, no pit stops. It keeps my attention because the drivers/riders are going all out from the green to the checker. I can enjoy a sprint race without dedicating my whole day to it.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:54 AM

Received 694 Likes on 470 Posts

Baseball is boring unless you have a favorite team to root for. Mine is the Orioles, I watch most of their games on TV and went to Baltimore 2 weeks ago to see them play the Red Sox. To each his own. I don't follow basketball or hockey. I did follow hockey when the Flyers won multiple Stanley Cups in the 70's. And I will catch some of the College playoff games. If I want to take a nap I turn on Golf.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:08 AM

Received 2,575 Likes on 1,561 Posts

Go Nats...
Old 06-13-2017, 05:16 AM

Received 1,128 Likes on 991 Posts

My magic solution to this is to allow tie games until the finals. Game is tied after 9 innings, four quarters, or 3 periods or other regulation play? It's a tie. End the game and go home! Computer can handle the standings. Will change some game strategy of course. Take the easy path to a tie or go for a win decision.

-- Chuck
Old 06-13-2017, 05:22 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,582 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Any "sport" that requires the audience a mandatory stretch to wake everyone up is by far the most boring one.

I used to enjoy baseball, going to the Astrodome to watch the Astros play with the massive screen when someone got a hit or homerun was awesome, I gave up watching when they went on strike in the 80's.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:32 AM

Received 1,423 Likes on 954 Posts

I played baseball since pee-wee. Through HS. So, I know the routines (positioning, defensive positioning, cut-off, etc). Makes watching a bit move tolerable. One thing that really helps... keeping score. A lost art. My Dad taught me a LONG TIME ago. Like when I was 5 or 6 years old.

Knowing what each batter did, in the previous at-bats helps with figuring out strategy, in later innings. You can go home and recall specific plays, later in the season. Or a year later.

Quick Reply: Is baseball why people smoked?