S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Cable Boxes and smart TV's

Old 02-27-2019, 04:37 PM

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Cable for local channels or purchase some streaming option that provides some local channels?
Antenna for over the air (local) channels.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:39 PM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts

I don't keep such detailed records! BUT, once the cable bill gets close to $170.00 I get annoyed. It was $171.00 after recent price increase. Before Comcast, I was spending about $65.00/month for phone and DSL and another $65.00 or so for cable. That was quite some time ago, so in reality, what I'm spending now isn't too over the top, but I have to stay on them to keep the price down. I do have much better service with Comcast for internet vs Verizon. Their customer service is better too.

We have the digital starter package. That in itself itsn't too bad. Once they add on fees for this and that, equipment rental, etc, the price rises.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:23 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

100 mega byte internet is $66. We also pay the equivalent of $10 for Amazon Prime for a total bill of $76 per month. We have an over air DVR with no monthly fee. We record all our favorite shows and watch when we want with commercial skip. The DVR is connected via Wi-Fi and we've never had an issue with buffering.

Edit: We do pay an additional $45 for a land line. I would cut the cord on that, but am having a hard time convincing my wife to let it go.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:09 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

I wanted to drop my land line but that would actually increase my monthly bill as it's part of the package discount. Just tv and internet is more expensive. Only thing connected to it is a printer with a FAX. One time payment of the hardware keeps the monthly cost down.

Regarding "smart tvs" my first big Samsung plasma (big then) stopped receiving YouTube a year or so ago. $25 RoKu dongle restored it. Yet another remote. I don't think I've watched network tv since Ziva left NCIS.

-- Chuck
Old 02-28-2019, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Conedodger
100 mega byte internet is $66. We also pay the equivalent of $10 for Amazon Prime for a total bill of $76 per month. We have an over air DVR with no monthly fee. We record all our favorite shows and watch when we want with commercial skip. The DVR is connected via Wi-Fi and we've never had an issue with buffering.

Edit: We do pay an additional $45 for a land line. I would cut the cord on that, but am having a hard time convincing my wife to let it go.
What is over air DVR? How are you receiving other shows? Antennae? With your phone you are still at $121.00. If I toss in my Amazon I'd be at $165.00 after the equipment is returned.Net Flix is extra but we both enjoy it, grandkids use the account too. While I would not mind a $40.00+/month savings we are not yet willing to cut the cord. I'm not sure what internet speed I have...I think it's higher than yours, not sure if it does/doesn't make a difference. My cell phone doesn't get the best reception in the house. Rick is not a cell phone fan, so we still take the bundle with the land line. However, I'm about ready to unplug it as I can't stand the constant robo/sales calls.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:08 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Over the air is from an antennae. We've always watched primarily network TV. With the antennae we get great HD reception. With the DVR we record enough stuff that we can make it through the summer hiatus. When we are in the mood for a movie, we use Amazon Prime. I'm not a sports fan, so I don't need cable or satellite for that. Our cell phone is ~$100 a year and we never come close to using up the minutes. I would love to drop the land line. We only make/receive a call or two a week. We've gone to screening all calls due to the robo calls.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:53 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Lainey, in another thread I talked about our land line AT&T phone with Smart Call Blocker. It's a $59 phone, no monthly fees and if it's a robo call our phone doesn't ring. Not one sales call rang through in six months. I love it.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Morris
Lainey, in another thread I talked about our land line AT&T phone with Smart Call Blocker. It's a $59 phone, no monthly fees and if it's a robo call our phone doesn't ring. Not one sales call rang through in six months. I love it.
Can the phone be used with any telephone service?
Old 02-28-2019, 08:31 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Yes, it's just a normal ole telephone, with a built in blocker. If anyone calls and their number is not in the telephones memory (50#s) then they have to say their name to have your phone ring. Robo calls don't have humans to hear the instruction and say a name.
You can also check the phone at any time to see the numbers that called you where the phone didn't ring.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:56 AM

Received 4,945 Likes on 2,999 Posts

I guess those of you who always want to drop your landline get much better phone reception in your area than we do. On some cell phones around here people have to go outside the house to use them fully. Personally, I really like landline phones. No break up, easy caller ID, nothing to carry around, two ways to leave a recording - at the house or in the cloud if the house phone is in use.

Quick Reply: Cable Boxes and smart TV's