S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Can you bring an Acura to a Honda dealer for a recall?

Old 03-18-2017, 04:57 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts
Default Can you bring an Acura to a Honda dealer for a recall?

Here's the problem. Liz drives an Acura TLX. Not a bad car, but our Acura dealer is awful. This is the second Acura we've brought from this dealer and both times we were sorry. Aside from the fact that they're rude, their service is awful. Things don't get fixed the first time and sometimes not at all. Across the road, about 1/2 mile away, is Joyce Honda. We've been dealing with them for quite a number of years and we love working with them. They've always treated us fairly, gone out of their way to make sure that we're happy, and almost always get the repairs right the first time. For the last year, Liz has been taking her Acura to Joyce Honda for oil changes and such.

Two days ago we received a recall notice in the mail for the passenger airbag in the Acura. The recall advises us to take the car to our local Acura dealer, but we really don't want to. We really want to take the car to Joyce Honda. Both Acura's and Honda's are Honda products but I wonder if because they're different divisions would a Honda dealer get reimbursed for recall work on an Acura. I hope they do. I'm going to call Honda on Monday to find out.

What do you think? Is it worth a shot? Will the Honda dealer do the Acura recall?
Old 03-18-2017, 05:01 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

I kinda doubt it, since there is an Acura dealer so close. But, you can try calling the Service Manager.

Good luck!
Old 03-18-2017, 05:20 PM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Then again you could trade it there for a Honda.
Levi
Old 03-19-2017, 12:34 PM

Received 3,520 Likes on 2,381 Posts

I absolutely hate it when you can't trust your local dealer and have to make other accommodations.
My local MB dealer service has decided that screwing the customer is now their new business model. ( re: the $724.82 oil change/ B service)
but
I don't think you can. Since the recall is a paid for by the factory, there is not a method for payment to the dealer.
Secondly while the mechanics would probably recognize the designs, it is unlikely that they would have the parts, shop manuals etc. to be able to execute the repair.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:10 PM

Received 4,956 Likes on 3,004 Posts

I would think you can take it to any Acura dealership but not a Honda dealership.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:01 AM

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

I used to take the S to the local Acura dealer and had no issues so it should work both ways. They have since closed and I am going to the Honda dealer who has all the records. I had no issues with either dealer but at the time the Acura dealer had a performance division. Any Honda/Acura dealer has full access via their computer to anything outstanding and can fix it under warranty (at least in Canada)
Old 03-20-2017, 06:19 AM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

No. All warranty work and recall work must be performed by the dealer associated with the car. I had a failure of the front pax seat belt buckle (female part from seat side) for my MDX. California requires lifetime warranty on restraint systems; the MDX is a 2004. I checked with a convenient Honda dealer, who has worked on the car for non-warranty items, and was informed they could not perform the warranty work. So, while I was on the phone arranging the service at the Acura dealer they mentioned I was up for the airbag recall. They ordered the parts; later in the week when the parts arrived I took the MDX in. Got a new MDX loaner while they replaced both front airbags and replaced faulty belt buckle. No charge and it was not the dealer I purchased the vehicle from.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:39 PM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Yeah, once I was considering an Infimity, G35 if memory serves. Since the nearest dealer is in New Orleans I asked the service manager at the local Nissan store if they could honor warranties on Infinities. Answer was a polite but firm "no". Probably the same deal with Acura, but the worst thing that can happen if you ask is to hear the word "no". And this might be a dealer by dealer decision.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:27 PM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Rob, what did you find out today?
Levi