S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Capital Punishment

Old 11-06-2003, 03:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tommyra,

I got a question. How are murderers treated in prison? You know, the ones in for life. Do they get books, TV, interaction with other inmates, solitary confinement?

I believe Gary gets visitation rights from people that love him, his family.

Rot my ass. F___s live like kings. I
Old 11-06-2003, 04:17 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PWRMKR
tommyra,

I got a question. How are murderers treated in prison? You know, the ones in for life. Do they get books, TV, interaction with other inmates, solitary confinement?
Old 11-06-2003, 04:25 AM

I understand. If you play the system, life in prison would not be to bad. Sounds better then "not being".

Thanks Tom,

pwrmkr
Old 11-06-2003, 05:04 AM

Death is no punishment at all, no more than Birth. They're just two experiences that neither killers nor saints nor any of us can avoid. If you want to punish somebody, I say punish them with something not so run of the mill, like prison.
Old 11-06-2003, 02:08 PM

Received 2,595 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Buzz - This is a very disturbing and sad story you have told here. My understanding in the Green River case is that they only had evidence to tie the killer to seven of the murders and wanted to close the other 40 or so by bargaining with him. I believe the prosecutor said it was the hardest decision he's ever made.

The death penalty is controversial and a difficult issue. Many people say that it doesn't deter anyone else from committing crimes. But it certainly deters the criminal, who ultimately pays for his crime with his life.

To me, the most important thing is that anyone in this kind of situation can do is to try to come to some sense of peace within him or herself no matter what the outcome, and let go of the pain and anger. I hope you and your family have been able to do that and concentrate on the good memories your son brought you.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Buzz,

I read everything on your web site and printed it out. Then I just sat here and stared at the ground not knowing how to reply. In fact, there is no adequate reply. There is no way any of us can even come close to knowing the pain and heartbreak you feel. And yet I sit here stunned. Being the author of the Kids & Cars thread this is exactly the kind of stuff I worry about.

I am so sorry you lost your boy this way. There is just no way to explain it or try to understand it. For whatever reason it was part of a master plan. I believe there is a reason for everything, even these horrible, horrible events. I don't know what those reasons could possibly be, but I believe they exist. Perhaps your web site will touch someone in such a way to stop another of these horrific events. Or perhaps several. Or maybe your post here today will cause a sequence of events.

Just remember that you, your wife and your other son will be with Mike again some day. The happiness you will feel that day will be overwhelming. The people who took Mike from you will never feel that joy.

And remember that you have friends here who care about you and your family and are available day or night. Whenever you need to talk, I'm sure eveyone on Vintage is willing to PM their home phone number to you.

Bill, keep the faith. Not knowing where your son is has to be hard. We hope and pray that he is out there safe and he is going through a maturing process. And that someday he will come home.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:45 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

When I was younger I had some very hard and fast ideas about capital punishment. Now, as I've gotten older, I'm not so sure anymore.

For me, one of the big questions has always been, what does it accomplish? If capital punishment served as a deterrent my position would be easy to know. If it brought justice and closure to those close to the victims it might be justifiable. If putting the murderer to death could somehow make things right again, it might be the answer. I'm not sure that this is the case.

My family and I have been very lucky to never have felt the horrors of losing a loved one to a murderer. My heart goes out to QPhox4 and all of the families touched by this brutality. Buzz, I have a great deal of respect for what you've said.

I just went to your website and read your statement and your other son's statement. I cannot find the proper words to say.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:06 PM

When I left for work this evening, my son was not home. He had left to spend some time with some kid he met at the alternative school he is going to. This is all very new to him. We just moved into this area and my son has been spending time with his other friends on weekends, 50 miles away. So, he is making new friends. Is this something to be happy about or something to worry about?

I don't trust any of them. My son is not a strong young man. Never has been. He may think he is, but he's not. He has his strengths, but they are not physical and he's a pushover. He has been robbed and beaten in the past. I worry about him every moment.

Anyway, I bookmarked your web page, and pulled it up before leaving, hoping he will read it when he comes home. Every time he leaves I wonder.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:42 PM

Thanks for the words of friendship. My therapy is posting to the Internet, I guess, and talking about it. My wife finds it too hard to discuss it much. I hope you all realize that I would have preferred the Electric Chair (old sparkey, as some friends from law enforcement call it!) BUT, it would have meant three trials, at different times. I couldn't have afforded the time, and the wife couldn't have stood the pressure and feelings of three separate trials. This Green River murderer is still facing charges in Oregon. How many trials? How much time? Mandatory appeals! Probably 15 years minimum before the sentence is carried out! In that time, the death sentence may be outlawed in the U.S.--that was my biggest fear. AND, I may not have lived to see the sentence carried out, in my son's case(s). They may escape, but they made a deal for NO APPEAL, and NO PAROLE--L I F E in prison. If I could choose the penalty, I think being lowered in boiling oil to the waist may be reasonable. I fully support capital punishment--but it is too easy to get out of it, and it takes too long to carry out.

I considered a poll when I started this thread--which may be interesting to those who prefer to click a button rather than express a written opinion. But, I chose to write myself, as I feel I owe something to my kid to keep his memory alive. Pwrmkr/Mark, maybe it's something to do with Tyndall's hospital (Mike in '77)? Mike was a problem child. I don't know what he'd be doing now, at age 26, cause he wasn't very smart and made some very bad decisions. He didn't get along well with his mother or me. He had nothing to live for, but he didn't deserve to be tortured, killed, and left in the woods for God knows how long. Luckily for my wife and me, we never knew he was "missing." Although, missing leaves some hope? You think the worst is happening when your kids are late coming home. I don't know what is worse--knowing, as I do, or not knowing, as Bill. Being a parent is so rewarding at times, but there's a lot of room in a child's life for a parent's heart to be shattered. And now, I have two grandsons to worry about, too. Take each day as it comes, and be greatful for the happy times.

P.S. Sorry to be late in responding. Seems the company firewall started blocking out S2Ki.com, and I had to wait 'till I got home.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:06 AM

Death penalty? I walk a very thin line on that one. On one hand I think it is important to rid our society of predators. On the other hand I feel that it is important to retain our rights as citizens and to be proven guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt before Capital Punishment is imposed. Regardless of all the "wiggle room." If I were accused, I sure would want all the "wiggle room" that I have a right to. Our rights are so easy to give up and have been fought for on battlefields all over the world. They should not be taken lightly. Many good men and women have died for these rights. Phox4. I don't have to tell you this but I have the utmost respect for your thoughts on both sides of the line. I wouldn't hesitate or remotely question your decision or stand on Capital Punshiment. How could I?

QPhox4: My sympathies and prayers go out to you and especially your wife. Only people in your situation can know. I can relate but don't know. Talking and writing is good therapy. I frequent a widow and widowers room where I find solace and understanding. It's been the best damn therapy out there. I found this out five years ago after my wife of 20 years passed away with Cancer. Diagnosed in Feb or 98 and gone by July of the same year. The thoughts, the guilts, the what ifs....Remember that you did the best you could with what you knew at the time. Everybody does.

Bill: The same goes for you. As a father of 3 daughters, 23, 21 and 19, I do understand and relate. My eldest went off the deap end as I did when her mother died. There is nothing I can do about it now. I, as you, did the best I could under the circumstances. Sure I could have done different or turned left instead of right but.......who knows? Sometimes I think it's destiny and destiny isn't always pretty. However, destiny is never finished and everyday is a new deal. At least I know where my daughter is and that she is ok. I am thankful for that. My other two are doing fine and we have a good relationship.

We have to go on and take the road that leads us out of the dark abyss. Life is good and it is here for us to enjoy. I pray that all continue to heal and find the road to happiness and peace.

Quick Reply: Capital Punishment