S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Car Brand Prejudices and Preferences

Old 01-24-2005, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I for one am looking forward to when the solstice/saturn roadsters start hitting the road. Hopefully GM will keep and make the necessary improvements for this new platform and not tank it like they did the Fiero just as they started to get it right!
Old 01-24-2005, 11:04 AM
lig
Community Organizer

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Fiero? Did they ever get that car right?

The only ones I see these days wink at me with the one headlight up, one down look.

I suppose the last V6 one was o.k. - but nothing I'd even remotely consider.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:49 PM

The only American car that seems go above the 50k and turn to crap line that I hear about is the Cadillac.
Maybe everyone else enjoys a discussion of two or three Japanese cars that are all pretty much the same.
"Legal Bill thinks there are good cars made by manufacturers other than Honda and Toyota, and will even recommend the purchase of non-Japanese cars."
Perhaps the real question that needs to be considered is "Does the nationality of a car have anything to do with its quality?" or maybe more to the point - "Is there an American made car?" Personally, I don't think nationallity has anything to do with the quality of a car. And as for American cars (traditional Ford, GM, Chrysler)the most American made car - that is a car assembled in the USA with the most USA parts is Honda - the Accord built in Ohio. As for the Cadillac, the new STS will be built in China - so much for US built machinery. so, buy Ford built in Canada, a Chevy built in Mexico or Caddy built in China - or just for a change buy a Honda, built in the USA. Quality is more about design and execution of manufacturing - do it right and you get a quality car. Do it wrong and you get a Dodge
Old 01-24-2005, 12:54 PM

The only Toyota I have ever had was only one of 2 cars that ever had to be towed because of a mechanical problem and that was 3 times in 2 years before I decided to cut my loses. I have had zero problems with my new GM cars (3 from 1988 to 2004). I even sold my Pontiac GTP (6 1/2 years and 83k miles) to my mom and I get to drive it when we go out together. I don't hold any prejudice against Toyota and even looked at an MR2 before getting a S2K.

My prejudices go toward Chysler products because when you look for a truck, everyone I knows says don't buy a Dodge truck no matter the price. This is 7-8 different people, all that i have know for a long time, giving the exact same advise.

Mostly I have noticed that used vehicles have been way more prone to break down than new ones. So I tend to buy new ones and drive them for 6-8 years. Every used vehicle I have owned has had a problem that needed to be fixed, every single one.

The only other prejudices I have are looks. I can't own a vehicle that I hate how it looks. This rules out every Ford car made in the last 15 years beside the Mustang. The only reason I even own a S2K is because there is not a single sedan out there that is even looks OK that I can afford. They are all very bland with nothing distigusing them from each other or anything made in the last 10 years. The 1997-2004 Pontiac Grand Prix' looked good enough to own for me. There where some Japanese sedans from the last 5 years as well, but no longer. The new GM sedans are a step back for sure. The acura line of sedans has been ugly as hell for 8 years. This is in stark contrasts to the S2K, which is very good looking and distinctive.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:57 PM

[QUOTE=Legal Bill,Jan 24 2005, 08:07 AM]I'll admit, you folks have me on the issue of such cars as Buick Regals and Pontiac Sunbirds.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:16 PM

Received 4,951 Likes on 3,003 Posts

Originally Posted by LINESUPER,Jan 24 2005, 05:49 PM
Personally, I don't think nationallity has anything to do with the quality of a car.
Generally speaking the Nationality can be used to generalize the differences. For example, I believe 100% of the Lexus & Infiniti are still built in Japan, as 100% of the Kia's & Hyundai's are built in Korea, and 100% of the Jaguars & Bentley in England, and 100% of the Audi's in Germany. The bulk of the BMWs in Germany except Z3/X5 in South Carolina and the bulk of the MB as well.

True, some are split like the Acura RL in Japan and Acura CL & TL in Ohio but, and it's a big but, the EXPECTATIONS of management in Ohio reflect those of management in Japan. So in that sense I still think nationality is a major factor.

The so-called-American car are, as you suggested, likely to appear anywhere from the US, Canada, Mexico, China, etc.

And, least we forget all the Ferrari's are still from Italy!
Old 01-24-2005, 03:16 PM

We had several Oldsmobiles and Buicks when I was growing up---don't recall any problems. I learned to drive in an Oldsmobile. My first car was a Pontiac 6000...bless its heart. It had some health issues with the brakes, transmission, and something else I don't recall.

I also grew up with Nissans---we had several Maximas in the 80s. They were all trouble free. I got a new 1990 Sentra my first year in college (Christmas '89) and it was the car I learned to drive a clutch in. That poor car survived all manner of abuse, overloading, and miles--not a single problem until the day a guy pulled out in front of me 7 years later. I leased a '97 Altima and then a fantastic '01 5-spd Maxima (oh, how I miss that Bose). Still no problems with Nissans (and I hate to admit that the fit and finish of the Altima's and the Maxima's interiors were better than the S2000).

I might still be in a Nissan were it not for the fact I really don't like any of the new designs. And my +1's uncle let us take his S2000 out of a drive when we went to visit him in Colorado in '03. It was love at first curve.

So, brand loyalty? Perhaps to Nissan and Honda. Regardless, I'll try and check out an owner's site like this before I get my next car.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by dlq04,Jan 23 2005, 09:23 PM
Certainly the editors and readers of Consumers Report would as well. I have found their risk assessments to be very accurate.
Interesting - I find that Consumer Reports tends to almost entirely miss the point as far as I am concerned. They have certain biases in their preferences, and that's fine for people who agree with those biases, and makes them close to worthless for people who have different biases.

I mean, we're talking about the magazine that rated Tang above fresh squeezed orange juice here. And on paper, they were right - Tang has just as much vitamin C, rehydrates you just as well, etc. etc. But what about the taste?

Similarly, in cars, Consumer Reports seems to care nothing for the driving experience, and little for conveniences and creature comforts that can be big time savers for some people. Their reliability ratings might be worth something, but even those don't go far enough out to tell you whether the car will last for 10 years. I find that Consumer Guide provides a much better overall picture for automobiles.

I do have a theory that cars tend to be better for the environment where their designers and engineers live. Unfortunately, all three U.S. manufacturers are based in Detroit, so unless you live the the midwest, you aren't going to get the perfect car from them. European cars are better suited to the older cities on the U.S. East Coast because those cities have plans that are more similar to European cities.

Japanese cars used to be well suited to city life, too. Recently, though, it seems that their sedans - the Accord, the Camry, Lexuses, etc. - have become just as overgrown for this environment as the most popular cars coming out of Detroit. Whenever I hear some great Accord story, it always turns out to be about one of the early '90s cars, not the most recent generation.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:09 PM
lig
Community Organizer

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

IIRC - CU though very highly of the S2000.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:21 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

[QUOTE=ralper,Jan 23 2005, 01:05 AM] .....I simply opt to stay where I've had no problems.

Quick Reply: Car Brand Prejudices and Preferences