S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

A car problem that I need some help with

Old 02-13-2019, 11:50 AM
tof

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,306 Posts

^^^ Now THERE is some sound advice.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:20 PM

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Originally Posted by Hertz Donut
As much as it pains me to type it, since it's under warranty I'd suggest making it the dealer's problem. Tell them to park it outside on a sub-32 night while they give you a loner vehicle, and see if they can start it in the morning. If it doesn't start they've got the perfect opportunity to diagnose the faulty component,

Of course, if it does start then they can just keep right on looking because you've been driving Hondas since 1932 and the old cars worked just fine but you're really starting to lose faith in their newer cars with all their new-fangled electronic gizmos and gosh darn it you might just head on over to Toyota for your next vehicle after all.

(I haven't quite achieved full Grumpy Old Man status yet but I'm getting in all the practice I can. )
That is exactly what I did about 3 hours ago. The temperature went to about 35*f and after about 15 pushes on the starter button the starter finally turned over and the engine started. I brought the car to Honda, told them to park it outside overnight and try starting it tomorrow morning if the temperature is below freezing.

As far as the grumpy old man status, it sounds like you're well on your way.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by ralper; 02-13-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:32 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
I'm hoping that someone here can help with this problem.

Is it possible that water got into a relay or some other part of the circuit going to the starter and freezes when the temperature is below 32*f? I'm just grasping at straws, hoping to stumble on an answer.
I didn't read the other post. But yes this is the first thing that comes to my mind based on the scenario. I would for shits and giggles, at least pull the starter connection and spray some kind of terminal solvent/cleaner in there, grease it and see how it does. That's the easiest thing to do first. It could be what sounds like the starter solenoid, and on some starters that can be serviceable, but it may be prudent to just yank the entire starter, see if you can service out of the car or replace it. Im betting a nickel to a dollar its from the electrical connector down to starter somewhere. Not further back into the electrical system.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 02-13-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:02 AM

Received 3,500 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Sorry Rob. I have to be that guy.
Doesn't Honda have roadside assistance?
When it doesn't start tell them to get there tech over to your house.
When it still doesn't start flatbed it to them.
or ( bare with me I haven't had coffee yet.)
talk with the service a manager when the forecast is freezing overnight.
Get a loaner and leave it there over night outside. when it doesn't start just push it on into the garage and diagnose.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:13 AM

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,513 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
Sorry Rob. I have to be that guy.
Doesn't Honda have roadside assistance?
When it doesn't start tell them to get there tech over to your house.
When it still doesn't start flatbed it to them.
or ( bare with me I haven't had coffee yet.)
talk with the service a manager when the forecast is freezing overnight.
Get a loaner and leave it there over night outside. when it doesn't start just push it on into the garage and diagnose.
I had a problem with my Civic. It wouldn't start. I called Honda and they came and got it. When they took it into the shop it started first time. I told them early on that I thought it was a bad spot on the start windings but they would not remove the starter to check it because it started for them plus I was talked down to and treated like crap! THEY BILLED ME FOR THE TOW!!! BTW, no loaner!

When it happened again I got the tow truck driver to sign a statement saying that it would not start before he put it on the truck. This time it didn't start at the dealer and they replaced the starter. I was told that the starter had a bad winding!

When I picked the car up the second time I told my salesman that after spending close to $80k at this dealer you should not be treated like I was treated and I would never step back in that dealership again.

To this day Jack Matia Honda in Elyria, OH can rot in hell!
The following users liked this post:
LagunaPearlAP2 (02-19-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 11:03 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Any update Rob?
Levi
Old 02-16-2019, 12:21 PM

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
Any update Rob?
Levi
On Wednesday, after quite a few pushes on the starter button and more mild weather, the car started. I drove it to Honda and told them to park it outside and see if it starts in the morning. Unfortunately, the weather has been mild with temperatures above freezing. Yesterday, Friday, they called me and told me that the car has been behaving perfectly and they can't seem to find anything. According to them it started right up every morning. I picked up the car and brought it home.

This morning the temperatures were in the high 30s and the car started right up. I'm waiting to see over the next few days if the temperature goes below freezing if the car will continue to start. Right now I have it siting on my driveway with the hood up hoping that if there is any dampness anywhere the airflow will dry it out.

I hope the problem solved itself, but we'll see over the next few days.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:52 PM

Received 784 Likes on 434 Posts

Hmmm, sorry to hear Rob. I just test drove an '18 Civic Si Coupe Monday - looking to replace my Altima, and FWD, Manual Coupes aren't made by too many auto companies anymore.

It's been a very busy few weeks at home and another one this week - we might go back next Monday to negotiate and buy.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:23 PM

Received 4,934 Likes on 2,992 Posts

Originally Posted by Heyitsgary
Hmmm, sorry to hear Rob. I just test drove an '18 Civic Si Coupe Monday - looking to replace my Altima, and FWD, Manual Coupes aren't made by too many auto companies anymore.

It's been a very busy few weeks at home and another one this week - we might go back next Monday to negotiate and buy.
I hope that Civic does not have a Direct Injection engine. If so, DO NOT buy it. Research it for oil dilution issues.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:02 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
I hope that Civic does not have a Direct Injection engine. If so, DO NOT buy it. Research it for oil dilution issues.
Oh interesting, hadn't considered fuel washing could be an issue with this configuration, but thinking about it makes sense if the injectors dont deliver a perfect spray pattern for proper atomization. At least if the injectors are further back in the runner they have some time to mix with the air and atomize better. Id think direct injection in general is sound or it wouldn't be done, so must be some other factor exacerbating the issue?

Last edited by s2000Junky; 02-19-2019 at 08:07 PM.

Quick Reply: A car problem that I need some help with