S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

A car problem that I need some help with

Old 03-02-2019, 05:28 AM

Received 3,500 Likes on 2,367 Posts

A $30 oil filter

pffft: here hold my beer.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:47 AM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

You Merc lovers have to hear this story. Yesterday was the first time we went to the Honda dealer for service. The service write-up people each have their own office. When done he advised us what door to take to get to the waiting area. As I was walking across the garage entrance I made the smart-ass remark, "Will they have bacon and eggs ready?" Well, I'll be damn - - they did! They have a breakfast/lunch counter and menu. I had bacon, eggs, and swiss cheese. All made and served by a delightful cute young lady. Now that's what I call service. Later the write-up person said they love it as well because it helps the customer's enjoy the experience and they often start up conversations at the counter which helps the time fly!
Old 03-02-2019, 06:23 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

^^^Wow, that is neat.
Levi

Last edited by NNY S2k; 03-02-2019 at 06:25 AM.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:33 AM

Received 784 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
You Merc lovers have to hear this story. Yesterday was the first time we went to the Honda dealer for service. The service write-up people each have their own office. When done he advised us what door to take to get to the waiting area. As I was walking across the garage entrance I made the smart-ass remark, "Will they have bacon and eggs ready?" Well, I'll be damn - - they did! They have a breakfast/lunch counter and menu. I had bacon, eggs, and swiss cheese. All made and served by a delightful cute young lady. Now that's what I call service. Later the write-up person said they love it as well because it helps the customer's enjoy the experience and they often start up conversations at the counter which helps the time fly!
The dealer closest to me is fairly new and was built with the cafe, several areas for "work" and for couch/TV. Buying a car there also gets your car washes and oil changes for life. Not a huge deal, but part of the shopping criteria for me. I probably have 3 dealers within 15 miles, and 5 or 6 within 40. It's just a matter of preference on service and amenities. The next closest dealer isn't high on my list. They wouldn't accept me bringing my own Honda parts when I needed a clutch on the S2K and thought it was reasonable to charge me OVER MSRP for parts. No thanks, you've lost my business.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:13 AM

Received 2,509 Likes on 1,513 Posts

That's what the $30 oil filter pays for!
Old 03-02-2019, 05:19 PM

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,107 Posts

I can't believe it. You finally found something at Honda you like. That hasn't happened since the S2000. A new day is coming!
Old 03-02-2019, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by ralper
I can't believe it. You finally found something at Honda you like. That hasn't happened since the S2000. A new day is coming!
ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha . . .

I may have posted this before but I talked to my wife about selling the car. Her answer, No Way I Like It To Much! I am done researching about the issue. What are my plans? Screw the stupid car’s computerized Maintenance reminder that tells you when to change oil. I will not allow it to go beyond 3,000 miles. Something I have done with nearly every car I’ve ever owned. MG 32yrs, F-150 22yrs, Maxima 18yrs, etc.... to me that is cheap insurance. I bought a 3rd party bumper-to-bumper warranty coverage for 5 yrs/60k. Had I known my wife was going to insist on this (hey, its her car) I would have research this more before she sprung it on me at the closing. For the same money I could have got 8yrs/120k from a dealer in RI. Actually I still can and the other company will give me back $1k (nearly 90%) but it goes against the car loan principal. So I am asking myself this weekend do I want spring for another $1k for the HondaCare warranty? Or, and this is the bigger question - - - will this direct injection engine survive 10 yrs (our usual turnover)? What do think Rob? Adam seemed to think it would?
Old 03-03-2019, 07:35 AM

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,107 Posts

ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha . . .

I may have posted this before but I talked to my wife about selling the car. Her answer, No Way I Like It To Much! I am done researching about the issue. What are my plans? Screw the stupid car’s computerized Maintenance reminder that tells you when to change oil. I will not allow it to go beyond 3,000 miles. Something I have done with nearly every car I’ve ever owned. MG 32yrs, F-150 22yrs, Maxima 18yrs, etc.... to me that is cheap insurance. I bought a 3rd party bumper-to-bumper warranty coverage for 5 yrs/60k. Had I known my wife was going to insist on this (hey, its her car) I would have research this more before she sprung it on me at the closing. For the same money I could have got 8yrs/120k from a dealer in RI. Actually I still can and the other company will give me back $1k (nearly 90%) but it goes against the car loan principal. So I am asking myself this weekend do I want spring for another $1k for the HondaCare warranty? Or, and this is the bigger question - - - will this direct injection engine survive 10 yrs (our usual turnover)? What do think Rob? Adam seemed to think it would?
I certainly hope it does. I have a DI engine in my Si. Adam feels that it will as does Honda. I too have confidence in it. I think if you give it the proper maintenance it should be good, if you don't it won't. No different than any other engine. I do know that Honda has tested it to a fault. Adam can't tell me any of the details, but he does tell me how Honda tests engines.

I completely understand and agree with Donna. We have an older CR-V, (2012 with 79,000 miles) and as much as I hate SUVs, I love it. I won't ever be without a CR-V. I did have a problem with it last year, I had to replace one headlight bulb, but other than that and the windshield wipers it's been absolutely bullet proof.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:49 AM

I've only driven it 4 times in 6 months and this past week was the first time on an interstate. I must say I love the cruise control feature that automatically slows the car down if you are approaching someone in the same lane too quickly. I had ours set at 79 and sometimes I would get pinched in in the right hand lane, it gently slowed me down and as soon as the cars past in the left lane I would pull out and it went right back to 79. All that without ever touching the brake or gas. That's not a feature that they were puting on trucks in 1997.

BTW Rob, did you happen to read the R&T thread; if not, I think you will get a kick out of my post.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:08 AM
tof

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,306 Posts

I thought intelligent cruise control was just a gimmick. Then I drove a rental with one from BWI to Delaware. I'm sold now. That and blind spot monitoring, especially with today's thicker B and C pillars to meet current roll-over requirements and extra air bags.

Quick Reply: A car problem that I need some help with