S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

A car problem that I need some help with

Old 02-21-2019, 05:30 PM
tof

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Originally Posted by noodels
Rob is the OP
= Kidding or sarcastic
Old 02-21-2019, 06:05 PM

Received 1,402 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
= Kidding or sarcastic
I choose tounge-in-cheek for $800, Alex!
Old 02-21-2019, 07:00 PM

Received 2,507 Likes on 1,512 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
From his initial post, "As you know I own a 2017 Civic Si. I have about 15,600 miles on it and I love the car. Unfortunately in the last two weeks a problem has developed that neither I nor Honda can figure out."
Jeez Patty, you expect me to read and retain?
Old 02-21-2019, 07:09 PM

Received 2,963 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooterboy

Jeez Patty, you expect me to read and retain?
No, I don't but you know Rob! He has data and he shares it. I just reread his first post and whallah, there it was!
Old 02-22-2019, 03:45 AM

Received 3,499 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Current sarcasm level is at 8.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:56 AM

Received 219 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
I just reread his first post and whallah, there it was!
Or as the French say, "voilà!" (yes, it sounds like whallah to 'murkins)
Old 02-23-2019, 06:42 AM
tof

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Originally Posted by SheDrivesIt
Or as the French say, "voilà!" (yes, it sounds like whallah to 'murkins)
Oh. I thought it was a big fiddle.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:29 AM

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,105 Posts

As mysteriously as the problem occurred it seems to have disappeared. For the last three mornings, the car started right up without a problem. Granted, the temperature has been a little more mild, but 3 days ago the temperature was 25*f and the car started. The morning before it was exactly the same 25*f and the starter wouldn't turn over.

I hope the problem is solved. I still don't have any idea what it was, nor does Joyce Honda, but if the problem is solved I'm happily in love with my Si again. Except for this problem I love my Si.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. If the problem reoccurs I'll post it. This spring, when it gets a little warmer I intend to get under the car to see if there is any corrosion or loose connections. I I can convince Adam to spend a weekend back home in New Jersey I'll have him under the car with me to examine it.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:14 AM

Received 784 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by aykalper3
Actually, all of the Civics basically share the same engine...1.5L Turbo, DI engine. The Type R is the only different one, with a 2.0 Turbo, also direct injection engine. The 1.5 is an "L" engine, sharing a lot of similarities with the Fit and CRZ of previous generations. In fact, it even takes some technology from the R18 engine found in older non Si Civics.

Before you nix the Civics for DI, you should know that the Fiat 500, Mini Cooper, both have DI engines. In fact, most engines now have DI...Honda, Hyundai, BMW, Audi, VW, Nissan, Mopar, Cadillac, Buick, Chevy. Yes, even the big Vortec and LS engines use DI.

To me, it sounds like this issue is with the starter motor. It starts sometimes, sometimes doesn't, which indicates a faulty starter solenoid (either frozen or corroded), or dirt/debris inside the windings of the starter. Did the starter "click" when you pushed the button? It should try to start for about 10 seconds before giving up, and, if it is a low battery issue, you'll see the dash flicker and hear an audible click (the relay contacting then losing power).
Adam, I beg to differ here.. https://automobiles.honda.com/civic-...specifications the LX and Sport have the 2L non-turbo with MPI, the EX, Touring and SI have the 1.5L Turbo with DI. (Even Honda's website shows the SI as slightly, very slightly different than the EX and Touring btw).

My comment about choices was about what's really left in the Coupe class with MT. There just isn't much, and as you say, most if not all are going the same direction with DI, so it becomes irrelevant as its almost constant across the class.

I am curious what a "short" trip is. It is going 4 driveways down the street? Is it a mile? Is it 5 miles? My drive to work is about 8 miles. The grocery store we like is 4 miles, sometimes at lunch, it's less than a mile, but in general, I'm driving 8-10 at minimum any time. I would also think the issue gets worse when the "short" trips are repeated, every day, multiple times, over months and years, not a few times a week? Just no standard for the term makes it tough. Is my normal drive enough time to warm the engine up?

It's also clear that cold weather seems to be a factor, but what's cold. Michigan on average would be colder than NJ. Does the 20's in February matter that much over the long haul? As Rob says, besides this issue, he hasn't had other issues.

This has been an interesting thread. Lots of info and lots of perspectives. Thanks all...

I'm still on the fence. No dealer near me has a 2019 Sport 6MT in stock. My registration and inspection is due this week for the Altima. Was hoping to not have to deal with it, but I think I do and a new car will wait until probably closer to the summer.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:18 AM

Received 4,929 Likes on 2,989 Posts

Originally Posted by Heyitsgary
I'm still on the fence. No dealer near me has a 2019 Sport 6MT in stock. My registration and inspection is due this week for the Altima. Was hoping to not have to deal with it, but I think I do and a new car will wait until probably closer to the summer.
You are smart to stick with the LX or Sport. Honda's latest tech bulletin, Feb 15, on the CR-V Turbo now advises replacing the plugs and inspecting camshaft when misfires happen. Honda technicians were originally diagnosing fuel injectors as the issue but after investigation they realized it was caused by fouled plugs and in extreme causes the camshaft could wear uneven due to inadequate oil lubrication. There has been a few reports of camshaft's breaking - imagine that on two year old cars. Not Good.

Quick Reply: A car problem that I need some help with