S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Car shows - the good, bad, and ugly

Old 07-25-2017, 08:28 PM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts
Default Car shows - the good, bad, and ugly

Anyone who knows me knows I could care less about awards - - unless they were for driving talent! Went to a car show in OH the week before last and didn't even show up at the actual car show until there was an hour left for judging and didn't put a card on the car. Still, I did enjoy checking out the other rides. Seems I never get tired of looking at classic cars and cars of my youth. I guess what got me to bring this up is we have the 39 Concours d'Elegance being held this weekend not to far away. I love the fact there will be 300 of the coolest cars in the world there but $25 parking and $35 per ticket admission, makes me hope I don't get hungry if I go.

I could get in free if I wanted to be judge and a couple of my buddy's will be doing that. I likely won't even go. Still debating that. My idea of a great car show, other than the free downtown ones, would be attending Goodwood in the UK. Watching the highlights of the road racing puts me on another cloud.

Your thoughts?
Old 07-26-2017, 04:05 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Life is short. Go, enjoy, and pack a lunch if you need to save a few $$$
Old 07-26-2017, 07:34 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Goodwood, Pebble Beach, and the auctions in Scottsdale are on my to-do list.

Dave, here is the page to buy a general admission ticket to Pebble Beach. Read this and then sign up to go to your local show:

General Admission Tickets For 2017 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance
Old 07-26-2017, 08:09 AM
tof

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,306 Posts

At the risk of coming off as a Mississippi redneck, may I recommend Cruisin' the Coast? I know I have posted about this on many occasions. But if you want a week long event that includes over 8000 registered cars with another couple thousand that just show up, is all free for spectators, and takes place in eight venues in eight towns along the Mississippi Gulf Coast then come down the first week of October. Tons of music, great food, some of the best shrimp in the world, and you can even run by New Orleans if you are so inclined. It's only an hour away. http://www.cruisinthecoast.com

And not just muscle cars and hot rods. There are always a number of pre-90 English and German sports cars, some antiques, and at least one 1979 Honda Accord

Fun fact: I am typing this post at the CTC office where I volunteer, while waiting for a staffer here to process another batch of registrations for me to enter.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:41 AM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Goodwood, Pebble Beach, and the auctions in Scottsdale are on my to-do list.

Dave, here is the page to buy a general admission ticket to Pebble Beach. Read this and then sign up to go to your local show:

General Admission Tickets For 2017 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance
Thats Nuts
Old 07-26-2017, 10:11 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
My idea of a great car show, other than the free downtown ones, would be attending Goodwood in the UK.

Your thoughts?
Goodwood is very high on my bucket list!

I'm not much of a car show fan. I'd rather see a vintage race than a show any day. That said, I'll be attending a small local show with the kit car this weekend. It is a charity event to raise money for organ donation in honor of a young man that passed away recently. I've known his father for a few years and promised I'd bring the car out.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:19 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I stopped going to car shows years ago. Row upon row of perfectly restored, trailered cars has lost its appeal. I really enjoyed going to the Fiat Freakouts when I had my X1/9. Sure, it was row after row of Fiats, but what I enjoyed was the fact that few of them were completely stock. The cars were being preserved/restored, but the owners knew they were never going to be worth a fortune, so they weren't obsessed with keeping them stock. Virtually every one had been modded to some degree to fit the owner's personal style or planned use. Few were trailer queens and most had patina from years of enjoyment. There was always a drive after the show, and many times an autocross. It was nice to see the cars being driven.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:29 PM
tof

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Hey, Mark. Cruisin' the Coast has cars in all conditions. Oh, and there is an auto-cross event. </pimping>
Old 07-26-2017, 05:19 PM

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Hey Dave, if you find yourself in New Jersey on a Tuesday night you can join the Northern New Jersey Street Rod Association and come to the Cruise Night with me. You won't see the quality of car that you'd see at the other shows, and your MGA, like my S2000 won't get much love, but the show is free to walk through and only $2 to show your car. And it all goes to charity.

How can you resist?
Old 07-26-2017, 06:43 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Thats Nuts
And you want to go to Goodwood??

Quick Reply: Car shows - the good, bad, and ugly