S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Chasing Classic Cars

Old 01-01-2013, 02:11 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Chasing Classic Cars

I enjoy Chasing Classic Cars and Wheeler Dealers on the Velocity channel. I can easily see myself doing something like this in retirement. Do any of you watch? I'm always impressed with the quality of the cars they find. Even though they all need some work, they seem to be in better shape than the cars I actually drove back in the 70s.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:26 PM

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,524 Posts

I love Wheeler Dealer but Wayne on Chasing is a little to intense for me.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
I enjoy Chasing Classic Cars and Wheeler Dealers on the Velocity channel. I can easily see myself doing something like this in retirement. Do any of you watch? I'm always impressed with the quality of the cars they find. Even though they all need some work, they seem to be in better shape than the cars I actually drove back in the 70s.

I watch both, but I, too, usually like Wheeler Dealers better than Chasing... Nice choice of cars to refurbish and recirculate. I like the banter, too. "Need to sort that out! The front bushes need to be replaced."

Wayne occasionally has a good find and auction, but then sometimes not!

The programs present two cultures that are very different, with two different kinds of customers and buyers.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:46 PM

Received 4,944 Likes on 2,998 Posts

Originally Posted by S1997
I watch both quite often. Nice choice of vehicles, and I like the banter, too!
I watch them both. I too am not a fan of Wayne. The 'cars' he has for the show determine how enjoyable it is for me. In fact, I really enjoy it when he can't sell his car at auction. I met him this past September at the Put-in-Bay vintage races. I still think he's a sleaze; whereas his mechanic is tops. That show I was told is to run sometime this month. The Wheeler Dealer pair are both good guys and they often are wrenching on cars a common man can relate to; plus they don't really try to screw someone over.

I look forward to watching your show Bill.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:53 PM

The shows target two different segments, no doubt. I like CCC for the variety of high end exotics and the insights into the auction world. WD is more like what I used to do when I was a kid. Some of the deals they get amaze me. It must be the British market. I see them buying cars for half the price they would bring here... Unless the pound is lot stronger than I think it is.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:03 PM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

There is your business model. Fly to England, buy cars you know and container them back here. Scrap them out for parts or sell them complete if it's profitable.

Then start your own TV show. Think of it, opening a new container every week.

fltsfshr
Old 01-01-2013, 04:20 PM

I was thinking I'd have a show where I meet the car owner and we figure out what he or she wants to do. Maybe restore and keep the car, maybe restore and sell, maybe sell as is...who knows, right? Then I line up the vendors to do the restoration work and then we figure out the best way to sell the car. At the end we tally up all the costs and see if we made any money, or else we have an unveil for the owner to see his or her newly restored car.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:31 PM

Maybe you can pretend to steal the car and surprise the owner.

I figure you could probably get 4 cars to a container. You need a hot tv show hostess that looks like Honey West to open the container doors and help you disassemble the cars with lots of parts talk.
You get tool and equipment sponsors.

You put all the parts on Ebay.

Think about it, sports cars, Honey West and free tools.

fltsfshr
Old 01-01-2013, 05:07 PM

Your show sounds like a lot of work.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:24 PM

Nevermind, I just sold the concept to James May.

fltsfshr

Quick Reply: Chasing Classic Cars