S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Chevy Volt price announced

Old 07-27-2010, 05:42 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by zzziippyyy,Jul 27 2010, 03:15 PM
Bill, Since you have the most interest in these I vote you buy one and give a first hand review.
Based on the government bail-out and my quarterly federal taxes, I already bought several of them. Please let me know when I can expect delivery.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=Legal Bill,Jul 27 2010, 08:42 PM] Based on the government bail-out and my quarterly federal taxes, I already bought several of them.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:30 AM
tof

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Originally Posted by Picturepro,Jul 27 2010, 06:35 PM
Volt has potential

(great pun)
Old 07-28-2010, 08:19 AM

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,513 Posts

I consider the price of the Volt to be shocking! It certainly a jolt to anyone that want to purchase one.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:26 AM
tof

I don't think the Volt will be produced in sufficient numbers to impact GM much one way or the other. I just hope most of the development costs have already been amortized (although I doubt it). It might pull some traffic into showrooms, though.

Too bad the volt has a total life carbon foot print bigger than a Humvee. Still, electrics have a roll to play in a more eco-friendly transportation mix. We just need to get on with producing more of our electricity with zero carbon emission technology. (Nuclear?)

I read something interesting yesterday in Car and Driver. CNG (compressed natural gas) produces lower levels carbon emission than gas, diesel, or ethanol, and is cheaper than any of them. It's cleaner and, of course, we have lots of it in North America. Problem is getting the auto makers to invest in developing CNG powered products and in getting an infrastructure up and running.

CNG loses most of its carbon emission advantage when the carbon cost of processing and transport is taken into account. But it still holds an edge in that regard and there is a lot of potential for development of more efficient processing methods. Transport is a correctable factor. Most CNG is imported due to lack of production facilities in the U.S.

LNG is also a way to convert fixed-source energy such as nuclear, wind, solar, etc, into low carbon transportable energy...i.e. automotive fuel, and further increasing LNG's carbon advantage over gas, diesel, and ethanol.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of the articles rate this as a Halo car for GM. It is not intended for mainstream. That is why the price is high and the lease is very reasonable.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:57 AM
tof

So you're saying the Volt is intended to jump-start dealer showroom traffic?
Old 07-28-2010, 09:05 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by tof,Jul 28 2010, 11:26 AM
I don't think the Volt will be produced in sufficient numbers to impact GM much one way or the other. I just hope most of the development costs have already been amortized (although I doubt it). It might pull some traffic into showrooms, though.

Too bad the volt has a total life carbon foot print bigger than a Humvee. Still, electrics have a roll to play in a more eco-friendly transportation mix. We just need to get on with producing more of our electricity with zero carbon emission technology. (Nuclear?)

I read something interesting yesterday in Car and Driver. CNG (compressed natural gas) produces lower levels carbon emission than gas, diesel, or ethanol, and is cheaper than any of them. It's cleaner and, of course, we have lots of it in North America. Problem is getting the auto makers to invest in developing CNG powered products and in getting an infrastructure up and running.

CNG loses most of its carbon emission advantage when the carbon cost of processing and transport is taken into account. But it still holds an edge in that regard and there is a lot of potential for development of more efficient processing methods. Transport is a correctable factor. Most CNG is imported due to lack of production facilities in the U.S.

LNG is also a way to convert fixed-source energy such as nuclear, wind, solar, etc, into low carbon transportable energy...i.e. automotive fuel, and further increasing LNG's carbon advantage over gas, diesel, and ethanol.
IIRC, natural gas offers less energy by volume (or some such measure of comparison) than the other fuels you mention. In other words, you need more of it to do the dame amount of work.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:56 AM
tof

That depends on how you measure natural gas. It is, after all, a gas and CNG is compressed. So in terms of volume it depends on how compressed the CNG is.

In terms of mass, one gallon gasoline equivalent (GGE) of CNG weighs 5.66 pounds. Gasoline weighs around 6.2 pounds per gallon.

One GGE of natural gas is 126.67 cubic feet (3.587 m3) at standard conditions. This volume of natural gas has the same energy content as one US gallon of gasoline (based on lower heating values: 900 BTU/cu ft of natural gas and 115,000 BTU/gal of gasoline). This represents application of a correction factor used in GGE calculations that reflects the relative efficiencies of the various systems that convert fuels to kenetic energy.

But in at least one sense you are correct, LB. One gallon of LIQUID natural gas contains slightly less caloric energy compared to a gallon of ethanol, and about 2/3rds the energy of a gallon of gas.

In the end, though, CNG is less expensive per unit of work than gasoline.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:46 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

That reminds me of another car greenlighted today. This too will be eligible for the $7,500 credit from The President.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/28/report-...for-production/

The 918 debuted as a concept at this year's Geneva Motor Show with a plug-in hybrid powertrain claimed to provide 78 miles per gallon.

The concept used a 500-horsepower V8 along with a pair of electric motors with 109 hp each and a lithium ion battery that can provide 16 miles of emissions-free driving from grid energy. The powertrain is not expected to be changed much for production and Porsche has not announced when 918 will be available. There has been speculation that the production model could cost up to €500,000 (about $650,000 USD), although if it comes to the States, it should be eligible for a federal tax credit. Even with up to $7,500 it still makes the Chevrolet Volt look downright cheap.

Quick Reply: Chevy Volt price announced