S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

College town USA

Old 10-30-2003, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default College town USA

Rather thank hijack a different thread, I thought I'd start this one for us that just have to talk collegiate. (We're allowed to whine, we paid for the privilege!)

I should add that Cornell has a player in the National Football league... aren't his parents glad they shelled out all that cash?! (No athletic scholarships in the Ivy league)

The thread's all yours ladies and gents...
Old 10-30-2003, 04:43 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

So what should we talk about... I was wondering, Drew, if the Hotel Management school was part of Cornell's state campuses, but I guess not.

I started college at the US Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, but didn't stay very long. I was fortunate that my decision to attend USAFA was a choice and not a financial necessity. I was desperate to be independent at a young age, though, and the free ride was a strong motivation for me.

I really wanted to be a pilot, but I found out that USAFA was all about training you to be an officer (i.e., a time-management machine).

I had a computer class that I loved and I spent one night programming a pocket calculator to do something cool. I went to see my teacher about it and he told me that I couldn't spend that much time on classwork... I was clearly neglecting other things. That incident was a deciding factor for me.

I lost a semester there, and started mid-year at Tufts University in Medford, MA. Given my life experiences gained from USAFA, I was perhaps the most motivated student of all time. My memories of my 3.5 years there are strong and wonderful. I'd still go back in a second if I could.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:02 PM

Unfortunately, the hotel school is one of the private colleges at Cornell. It has the odd distinction of being both a public and private institution. Several of the Cornell colleges are NY State public, and the others are private.

Did you ever learn to fly?
Old 10-30-2003, 05:08 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I took some lessons after college, Drew, but never followed up on it.
Old 10-31-2003, 07:03 AM

I have enough credits from the local J.C. to have about 3 degrees in bonehead. I have 2 A.A. degrees and on A.S. degree. A.A in Bilingual Bicultural Studies, A.A. in General Studies and an A.S. in Real Estate. I guess I could go for my Business degree but will it pay off? I don't know. I still don't know what to follow up on. I can't figure out something that will make it worth continuing as a Junior and getting that skin. Oh well. If I go back and get it, it would be more for a personal goal than anything. I need it to pay off. I majored in history and humanities. I can't think of anything besides teaching that would make it worth my while. Sure not going to teach. My own kids give me headaches.
Any suggestions for a field that is a 9-5, well paid, weekends and Holidays off, good benefits, lots of vacation time Etc? I need physical work too. Not a desk job. At least not all desk.
I am currently a meat cutter and that paid well from the get go. I can't find anything that pays as well or is as rewarding. I see myself going into management someday or I'll just be an old butcher. People have to eat so it's fairly recession proof. I just don't know how long I can stand the cold and wet conditions. Those old injuries flair up in the cold and wet.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:01 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by drewchie
Unfortunately, the hotel school is one of the private colleges at Cornell. It has the odd distinction of being both a public and private institution. Several of the Cornell colleges are NY State public, and the others are private.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:06 PM

Hey Jerry...

Passed on the message, but I haven't heard back yet. (She must still be trick or treating, right?)

Ithaca's a great college town, but I refuse to wear an "Ithaca is Gorges" t-shirt.

I'm thinking about taking the car on a cross-country track tour next year. (I'd always wanted to travel the country visiting all the baseball stadiums, but this would be better. I'd actually get out on the field of play!) Ithaca and Watkins Glen would definitely be on the cavalcade. I'll make sure to look up Skip.

Hey JRFblue... computer networking!!! Not too hard to learn and get certified, and it's a lot easier on the body. (Probably not as steady as the meat biz though... Us carnivores will always keep you in business)

How about hearing from the schools on the left coast? (Cal alums encouraged to reply... Stanford grads need not bother )
Old 10-31-2003, 09:44 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I graduated from the City University of New York back in 1972. My 4 years of college cost me a total of $400. In those days, it was New York's great hidden resource. A great education for cheap.

I know of one other graduate here in Vintage, Jim (Poks2k). Any others.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:22 PM

$400??!!

Textbooks for one class can cost that now.

I think good 'ol Cal might be the education bargain these days... A top rated school with what should be the number three team in the country... (We beat USC and they're number four... makes sense, no?) and all that for a measly few grand a year. Of course, you have to be a California resident, but it's really not so bad here. (Aside from the occasional fire, earthquaqe, mudslide, and El Nino)
Old 11-01-2003, 10:00 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ralper
I graduated from the City University of New York back in 1972.

Quick Reply: College town USA