S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Commericials that I don't understand.

Old 04-28-2019, 03:30 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts
Default Commericials that I don't understand.

Sometimes I see a commercial that I don't understand. Oftentimes they are nice commercials but I can't figure out what the commercial has to do with the product/service the company is selling.

One such commercial is the new FedEx commercial titled memories. A FedEx delivery comes to a man's door with a package. Upon opening the box the man is transported to an old Italian wedding. The narrator says at the end of the commercial "We deliver memories". I find it to be a very beautiful commercial, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what it has to do with FedEx. Can you?

Are there commercials that you don't understand or don't understand what it has to do with the product?
Old 04-28-2019, 04:44 PM

Received 921 Likes on 543 Posts

I haven't seen that ad. Maybe because I don't watch TV.

Here is an article about the series of ads, which might explain them.

FedEx Ads
Old 04-28-2019, 04:57 PM

Received 3,520 Likes on 2,381 Posts

Fedex is delivering a photo-album of his predecessors.
He is transported back in time through the pictures.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by buckeyesue
I haven't seen that ad. Maybe because I don't watch TV.

Here is an article about the series of ads, which might explain them.

FedEx Ads
Thanks Sue. I get the Corporate Image idea and I do think the other commercials accomplish that while still being related to FedEx's core business. I think the Italian wedding commercial is a very beautiful commercial, but I have trouble relating that to FedEx's business.

I especially like the Tortoise & The Hare commercial. I think that one accomplishes it all. It's emotional, creates a great image for FedEx and revolves around delivery. I think Opportunities is also a very good commericial. While not as emotional, it too says what I think FedEx was trying to say.

Don't get me wrong. I love the Italian Wedding but I don't think it says much about FedEx's core business.

Last edited by ralper; 04-28-2019 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:11 PM

Received 921 Likes on 543 Posts

I think Boltonblue explains it pretty well.

Here is another explanation.

Memories
Old 04-28-2019, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by buckeyesue
I think Boltonblue explains it pretty well.

Here is another explanation.

Memories
I understand all of that, I just think it's a bit too much of a stretch to relate it to FedEx's business the way the others relate to the core business.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:50 PM

Received 3,520 Likes on 2,381 Posts

Rob, I would argue it is an exceptional ad.
First it creates intrigue, you are confused at firs, it draws you in and you follow out of curiosity.
That makes it engaging, it gets inside your psyche past the everyday filters.
You can only smack someone over the head with a shipping ad until they simply don;t hear or see it anymore.
And more importantly, you remembered it, it make you think about it so it scored double.

There are a lot of ads that you think are amusing etc but you can't remember the product.
"that's a some a spicy meataaball" comes to mind.

on the flip side " please mother I'd rather do it myself" excedrin headache #374"
Old 04-28-2019, 06:06 PM

Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
Rob, I would argue it is an exceptional ad.
First it creates intrigue, you are confused at firs, it draws you in and you follow out of curiosity.
That makes it engaging, it gets inside your psyche past the everyday filters.
You can only smack someone over the head with a shipping ad until they simply don;t hear or see it anymore.
And more importantly, you remembered it, it make you think about it so it scored double.

There are a lot of ads that you think are amusing etc but you can't remember the product.
"that's a some a spicy meataaball" comes to mind.

on the flip side " please mother I'd rather do it myself" excedrin headache #374"
"Where's the beef" comes to mind! But I remember it was for Wendy's. However, I do agree with Rob that after watching some ads one is left wondering what they are advertising? In some cases the ads make me NOT want to buy the product.

Back in the late 1970's when I worked for the world's largest motorcycle dealership our ad agency came up with a radio ad the infuriated feminist (at that time). When ever it aired the phones would ring with complaints from females. The response from our ad agency was: "Love me or hate me, but don't ignore me". In other words: It got people's attention!
Old 04-28-2019, 07:20 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

The best ad for Fed Ex was Tom Hanks in Castaway!
Old 04-28-2019, 07:43 PM

Received 4,956 Likes on 3,004 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris
The best ad for Fed Ex was Tom Hanks in Castaway!
It was even better for Wilson!

Researchers say that ads we saw as children that had catchy songs and words still influence our buying habits 50 years later. If that's true I know where I would target my company's ads.

Last edited by dlq04; 04-28-2019 at 07:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Commericials that I don't understand.