S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Vintage Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/)
-   -   Cordless Impact Wrench (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/cordless-impact-wrench-1178200/)

Legal Bill 10-03-2017 11:48 AM

Cordless Impact Wrench

Hi everyone. If you own a 1/2 drive cordless impact wrench, please tell us if you like it and what brand and model you purchased. The old Harbor Freight all plastic version I bought back in 2003 for changing tires at the autocross seems to be junk now. I didn't use it that much, but then again, I didn't pay that much for it either. The new HF models seem to have metal or partial metal bodies. I also see they offer a higher end model for $250. I'm not sure that it is worth the price and if I'm going to spend that much shouldn't I buy a better brand name like Milwaukee? I may buy another HF, but I thought I'd see what others are using.

Emil St-Hilaire 10-03-2017 11:57 AM

Here.
5 Best Impact Wrenches - Oct. 2017 - BestReviews

engifineer 10-03-2017 12:07 PM

AVE (youtube channel) did a teardown of a new Earthquake XT from HF just the other day. Surprisingly well built inside .. very surprisingly well built. He had already tested the air version of it and was only mildly impressed and the Hercules they sell was built like a toy inside. But the XT cordless was impressive.

He then tested it by torquing a bolt as high as that bolt would withstand (about 500 ft lbs) with a test setup and then tried breaking it loose with the XT. It didnt even flinch, so it at least took a bolt off with that much tq holding it together. I was surprised as well.

I have a Rigid that does fine unless it is a very tight bolt. Good for regular stuff and wheels. I bought it because I already had the charger and two other tools. But I would not hesitate trying out the Earthquake based upon recent results.

Fokker 10-03-2017 12:29 PM

I got this one for speeding up tire swaps at events. Three settings, illuminated, and is pretty light weight. The battery holds a charge for a very long time; I haven't charged it in months and the battery is only down one bar (battery has a charge indicator). When my tires were mounted not too long ago, the shop used a pneumatic impact to put the wheels on. Needless to say, the lug nuts were on there tight and this tool popped them off instantly.

Ryobi 18-Volt ONE+ 3-Speed Lithium-Ion 1/2 in. Cordless Impact Wrench Kit-P1830 - The Home Depot

Legal Bill 10-03-2017 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by engifineer (Post 24362796)
AVE (youtube channel) did a teardown of a new Earthquake XT from HF just the other day. Surprisingly well built inside .. very surprisingly well built. He had already tested the air version of it and was only mildly impressed and the Hercules they sell was built like a toy inside. But the XT cordless was impressive.

He then tested it by torquing a bolt as high as that bolt would withstand (about 500 ft lbs) with a test setup and then tried breaking it loose with the XT. It didnt even flinch, so it at least took a bolt off with that much tq holding it together. I was surprised as well.

I have a Rigid that does fine unless it is a very tight bolt. Good for regular stuff and wheels. I bought it because I already had the charger and two other tools. But I would not hesitate trying out the Earthquake based upon recent results.

I missed that video. Thank you.

Legal Bill 10-03-2017 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Fokker (Post 24362805)
I got this one for speeding up tire swaps at events. Three settings, illuminated, and is pretty light weight. The battery holds a charge for a very long time; I haven't charged it in months and the battery is only down one bar (battery has a charge indicator). When my tires were mounted not too long ago, the shop used a pneumatic impact to put the wheels on. Needless to say, the lug nuts were on there tight and this tool popped them off instantly.

Ryobi 18-Volt ONE+ 3-Speed Lithium-Ion 1/2 in. Cordless Impact Wrench Kit-P1830 - The Home Depot

Good price point. Interesting that it is not sold in the stores.

Fokker 10-03-2017 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill (Post 24362824)
Good price point. Interesting that it is not sold in the stores.

Yeah, I don't get it either. The model that they keep on the shelves is really not the one to buy given that they are the same price and the one on the shelves doesn't have the speed control and produces 100 lb/ft less torque.

Legal Bill 10-03-2017 01:28 PM

Thanks for that information.

dwb993 10-03-2017 02:08 PM

Definitely thanks! I have the less powerful model, along with the wrench. But I also have 2 of the 4ah batteries and charger. I was able to track down this link if you only need the tool:

Ryobi 18-Volt ONE+ 1/2 in. Cordless 3-Speed Impact Wrench (Tool-Only)-P261 - The Home Depot

hecash 10-03-2017 02:57 PM

I have an old 18volt Milwaukee. It is 15 years old. One of the four batteries that I now have is an original. It has more than sufficient power to lift my car using the OEM scissor jack (I had a ½" drive socket welded onto the drive end.). I've used it hundreds of times to pull wheels for brake pad change and to lift the car at the race track. It is an ANIMAL!