S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Cordless Impact Wrench

Old 10-04-2017, 05:06 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
I've certainly had the hots for the snap-on impact wrench after your "brake service" event years ago.
One of the guys from NH brought his and I was smitten. Not quite enough to part with the cash but would love one.
and yes I know it's stupid expensive but I already said I didn't buy one.
Of course like Dave, I got this big ol' air tank and lots of hose. Hard to get that expense justification by the CFO.
HF says their Earthquake XT actually compares well against the Snap-on. Look at some of the videos. They were able to torque a trailer hitch nut to over 500 foot pounds.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:58 AM

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
HF says their Earthquake XT actually compares well against the Snap-on. Look at some of the videos. They were able to torque a trailer hitch nut to over 500 foot pounds.
Speaking of which... what is the recommend torque for OEM wheels?
Old 10-05-2017, 05:15 AM

Received 1,410 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by JoePhotographer
Speaking of which... what is the recommend torque for OEM wheels?
80 foot pounds.
The following users liked this post:
JoePhotographer (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 05:35 AM

These people sell reconditioned stuff, but the warranty is on the short side...

https://www.tylertool.com/factory-re...efault,pd.html
Old 10-05-2017, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the Milwaukee 1/2" impact wrench, and since doing so, I almost never break out the 1/2" air impact while working in the garage. If you'd like to borrow mine when you need it for for your boat, you're more than welcome to so you can give it a test run to determine whether it's something you'd like to invest in.

Last edited by elmmx5; 10-05-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:25 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

Snap on is great for longevity and warranty. For the home DIY guy though I have a hard time thinking the price is worth it. There are cheaper brands that can compete with the tq rating and still have warranties, and chances are they will hold up to what most of us will throw at them for the long haul. Hell, my cheapo CH impact that came free with a compressor has lasted 8 years so far with no issues. If I made a living with those tools, then I would likely buy up ... but still maybe no Snap On. There are very good brands that are still not as high priced as them. They make wonderful tools, but you really are paying a LOT for the name on the side.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:57 PM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
Snap on is great for longevity and warranty. For the home DIY guy though I have a hard time thinking the price is worth it.
So, true. If I had not been doing 25+ track days a year back when I bought mine just as the big Milwaukee was introduced, I would not have paid the $350 for it.

FWIW, all of the Harbor Freight tools that I've bought have met or exceeded the intended need. I even had one warranty exchange that went as smooth as silk.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote=Legal Bill]
Originally Posted by windhund116
Bought this one several years ago. Worth its weight in gold... and its heavy.

Battery is interchangeable with all other M18 Milwaukee tools.

/QUOTE]

That's the one to get, from everything I read.
Yes, the Milwaukee is a beast. I stick with my MG725 air gun, but a friend I used to work with had the Milwaukee and I used it at the shop quite often.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by elmmx5
I bought the Milwaukee 1/2" impact wrench, and since doing so, I almost never break out the 1/2" air impact while working in the garage. If you'd like to borrow mine when you need it for for your boat, you're more than welcome to so you can give it a test run to determine whether it's something you'd like to invest in.
Thanks Eric! I'll happily take you up on that offer!
Old 10-06-2017, 07:21 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I have a DeWalt 20v 1/2" battery powered wrench. Came with a pair of batteries. Main purpose these days is tire changes but the last time I used it for something else was for a squirrel nesting box I fixed to a tree with a long lag bolt.

This wrench would NOT loosen the lug nuts on my travel trailer last weekend when I fitted 5 new tires on wheels (including the spare). Had to crack the nuts with a good ole X-lug wrench and then power them off and then back on with the impact wrench.

Most of my "exotic" power tools are factory reconditioned at much lower than retail but I don't think this is.

-- Chuck
FWIW I have a Dewalt 18v I've had for a few years and was happy with it at first but now I'm sorely disappointed. Recently bought a new battery for it to see if that was the problem but sadly no....can't even get lug nuts off some times. Now eyeing the HF or reconditioned Milwaukee thanks to this thread.

Quick Reply: Cordless Impact Wrench