S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Crossover SUV Search

Old 10-02-2017, 05:30 PM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts
Default Crossover SUV Search

Today we started a serious search for a replacement vehicle for the Audi A6. We are hoping to find something that seats 4 adults, 2 kids, and luggage. That leads us to the here-to-fore totally unknown world of SUV’s or minivan. Crossover means its on a car platform rather than a straight SUV which is on a truck platform.

We have three special needs that really complicate the situation.

1) Due to previous ankle surgery I have to a throttle location that requires minimal movement. One located on the floor or very close is essential, preferably with room to the right of it.
2) Both the driver’s seat and passenger’s seat need good adjustments for my wife’s back issue.
3) The wife insists it be all wheel drive as this will be her daily driver.

I started out going to local dealerships – Toyota, etc. are an hour or more away.

We started off at Honda. I sat in the Honda Pilot and Odyssey and neither will work due their throttle and console locations. The HR-V and CR-V are both too small. So, no Honda.

Next was Ford. I sat in the Ford Edge and Explorer and neither will work for me. We road tested a Ford Flex as it has an adjustable throttle. We found the seats comfortable but critics did not; perhaps our test was too short. It’s more car like than SUV since it sits low; however the handling really wasn’t sharp. The final blow came when I looked at the reliability numbers that have its dated design in the red zone since in came out and the mileage was terrible. So, no Ford unless I could get a turbo V6 with AWD for a steal.

Next I sat in a Chevy Traverse but that didn’t work out.

Last today came the Kia Sorento test because it had the best ankle/knee set up for me. Sadly the seats were not comfortable even on the short test, it felt cramped, and would it require some real effort to meet our seat/luggage needs. The Kia had a great warranty, high reliability, mucho tech stuff, and I did know before the test does not hold resale value like competition (at least not yet). Had the seats been more to our liking and more room . . . but sorry, no Kia in my future either.

It’s very discouraging so far. Nissan, Lexus, and the Toyota Highlander are on the pending list. It use to be so easy when all I cared about was looks, performance, and handling.

Last edited by dlq04; 10-02-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:49 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I wish I could be of some assistance, Dave. There isn't much on your list that was on our list of SUV needs, other than my wife needing seats with a wide range of adjustments. And even in her brand new Lexus NX, she sits on a pillow.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:43 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

You can eliminate "real SUVs" as there are only a couple of real SUVs left. I see none mentioned in your original post. I just replaced my '07 Ford Expedition with a '17 model. Full frame. 9200 pound max towing capacity. Eight passengers. Certainly overkill for what you want/need. I only have it because of towing a travel trailer several times a year.

It's a shame the Subaru Outback only seats 5 as it fulfills every other requirement especially as a daily driver where there's some cold weather and snow. 3.6R engine Limited version is very nice.

How many times a year to you need all this seating capacity? Can rent a minivan for both those times.

-- Chuck
Old 10-03-2017, 04:31 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
You can eliminate "real SUVs" as there are only a couple of real SUVs left. I see none mentioned in your original post. I just replaced my '07 Ford Expedition with a '17 model. Full frame. 9200 pound max towing capacity. Eight passengers. Certainly overkill for what you want/need. I only have it because of towing a travel trailer several times a year.

It's a shame the Subaru Outback only seats 5 as it fulfills every other requirement especially as a daily driver where there's some cold weather and snow. 3.6R engine Limited version is very nice.

How many times a year to you need all this seating capacity? Can rent a minivan for both those times.

-- Chuck
Chuck may be on to something...how often do you need the extra seating? I see Jeep did not make the cut of vehicles you were looking at. Reliability reports? Not a fan of Chrysler/Jeep/Fiat? I've had no issues with mine. My Cherokee is likely too small, but a Grand Cherokee may fit some of your requirements? If not an SUV, I see a mini van in your future and that's just so sad for a car guy.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:33 AM

Different markets have different models but this just came out over the weekend. No idea if there's such thing as a Kia Carnival in North America.

https://autoexpert.com.au/buying-a-c...ival-beats-suv

-- Chuck
Old 10-03-2017, 06:03 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Dave,check out the Jaguar F Pace...it's British,you know...
Old 10-03-2017, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S

-- Chuck
Chuck, I think there are still a good number of the 'big boys' being built on truck platforms - - Suburban, Tahoe, Durango, Yukon, Amada, Sequoia, and Expedition. In fact, I've logged several hours in an Expedition as a passenger and a few as a driver since my daughter's family has one. They love it.

Your idea of renting a minivan when they fly up certainly makes more sense than driving year round with a large vehicle that gets poor mileage. Aside from the seating capacity, a key goal was finding a comfortable Captain's chair environment that would workout for my ankle/knee issues. I don't foresee any sedan meeting my needs since the Audi A6 no longer could.

Lainey, you nailed it. The year-in, year-out low reliability of the CJF group is a huge turnoff for me.

As for the Subie's, I hate driving the wife's underpowered and uncomfortable (for me) Outback. She however loves the fit and handling. It is now 9 years old with 100k, so I haven't ruled a new one yet. We will at least test drive one. The dealership is over an hour away. My son will be getting the one she has as his Nissan is on its last legs.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire
Dave,check out the Jaguar F Pace...it's British,you know...
A friend just purchased a Jag F type R. I have not seen it yet but it has to really kick butt.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:27 PM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

Both my wife and I have arthritis in our right hips. I bought a pair of 1½" thick gel pads for the front seats and they are nothing short of a miracle. I can now drive all day without any of the excruciating pain that made me stop every hour for a walk in past years.

My wife has bought another for the house. I'm sitting on one as I type this.

I'm not saying that it will work for you folks but it may be worth trying.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:02 AM

Your wife has a 3.6R Outback? The 4-cylinder has lackluster performance by comparison.

-- Chuck

Quick Reply: Crossover SUV Search