S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Crossover SUV Search

Old 09-05-2018, 05:12 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
I decided it was time to make the leap. This weekend we purchased a 2018 Honda CR-V in the EX trim model which offered the best combination of features and value – turbo 1.5L, heated front seats, moonroof, satellite radio, touch-screen infotainment system that works with Apple CarPlay for navigation from the iphone, plus a good number of driver assistance and advanced safety features. The first year bugs of this new 5th generation CR-V seemed to have been worked out with the 2017 model. The CR-V costs a bit more than some competitors but it gets class-leading cargo space and excellent fuel economy. I would have gladly forgone some fuel economy for a 2.0L engine but it was clear that was not happening. The next model redo is not expected until 2020 plus the new Acura RDX got the upgrade engine. The wife talked me into getting an extended warranty; probably not a bad idea with all the electronic sensors and idiot assistance features that could go wrong.

I really thought my days of buying a brand new car were over as clearly the best value is to buy a certified used car. Ironically the CR-V holds up its resale value so it doesn’t offer the savings of most others. The average savings for CR-V’s coming off a 3-year lease was just 30% of the original price, whereas most vehicles fall into the 40-50% range. I knew we wanted a 5th generation car so it made little sense to wait. So now the wife has a new barn car.

It's about time you bought the car. You'll love it. We have 74,000 trouble free miles on ours and really like it.

Donna looks good in it. I like the color. Ours is that ugly "Urban Titanium" but we bought ours certified preowned, and it was the best one that the dealer had. Our next one, in a few years, won't be the same color.

Of course it holds its value. It's a Honda. Would you expect any less? Besides, they have a few brilliant young engineers working for them.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:24 PM

Received 4,958 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
Besides, they have a few brilliant young engineers working for them.
Thanks Rob.

I hope they are working on the oil contamination issue that a small percentage of owners have been reporting and dealing with for over 6 months in both the US and around the globe. I have my that I won't be one of them.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:42 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Thanks Rob.

I hope they are working on the oil contamination issue that a small percentage of owners have been reporting and dealing with for over 6 months in both the US and around the globe. I have my that I won't be one of them.
I don't know, but I'd bet they're working on it. Neither Adam or his girlfriend tell us the details of what they're working on, but the way they test and improve engines, you can bet that they'll find a fix.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:37 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I decided it was time to make the leap. This weekend we purchased a 2018 Honda CR-V in the EX trim model which offered the best combination of features and value – turbo 1.5L, heated front seats, moonroof, satellite radio, touch-screen infotainment system that works with Apple CarPlay for navigation from the iphone, plus a good number of driver assistance and advanced safety features. The first year bugs of this new 5th generation CR-V seemed to have been worked out with the 2017 model. The CR-V costs a bit more than some competitors but it gets class-leading cargo space and excellent fuel economy. I would have gladly forgone some fuel economy for a 2.0L engine but it was clear that was not happening. The next model redo is not expected until 2020 plus the new Acura RDX got the upgrade engine. The wife talked me into getting an extended warranty; probably not a bad idea with all the electronic sensors and idiot assistance features that could go wrong.

I really thought my days of buying a brand new car were over as clearly the best value is to buy a certified used car. Ironically the CR-V holds up its resale value so it doesn’t offer the savings of most others. The average savings for CR-V’s coming off a 3-year lease was just 30% of the original price, whereas most vehicles fall into the 40-50% range. I knew we wanted a 5th generation car so it made little sense to wait. So now the wife has a new barn car.
I looked at them for Barbara and she really like it as well. We couldn't get a test drive the day we were at the dealers. The next car we saw was the Lexus NX. They promptly gave us a test drive and Barbara liked the interior and exterior a bit better and we bought it. Dealer experience is a part of the purchase decision.