S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Crossover SUV Search

Old 10-04-2017, 06:16 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

My wife loved both of her RXs as well. They just got too big for her.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:18 AM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

Since I dropped the more-than-4 seating requirement I plan to revisit Honda and see if their small SUVs might work. However, like Glenn, I am no fan of CVT even though some now have metal chains rather than rubber bands driving them.

Interesting stat that just came out - Through eight months this year, pickups, vans, SUVs and crossovers captured 63% of the U.S. market, up from 51% in 2007. Supports the thought that sedans are a dying breed.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:33 AM

Received 696 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Checked out Nissan today. Murano won't work for me. Road tested both a Pathfinder and a Roque; either might work with my pedal/console requirements. The Pathfinder was more truck like than my actual truck in its handling and ride; in short I didn't care for it. The Rogue was a surprise as it kinda worked for my needs. Its 2.5L engine clearly needs more power, although mileage of 25/32 was excellent and there are no engine upgrades. CVT trans, which I'm not keen on. Still Rogue is at the top of my list for a long term test unless something comes out of checking out the out-of-town dealers - seems I have little choice. I'm sure I won't be seeing Acura since the nearest dealership in now 100 miles away. Mazda is 50 miles. Lexus, Toyota, Subaru, VW, BMW are closer and all the same distance.

For grins I checked the X3 reliability record on the source I use. Sounds like you got a good one but on the whole they are generally just average - seems senor issues, software issues, and unwanted noise kinda head the list. Where as Lexus was at the top of the list for best. However, in the Luxury SUV ratings it beat Lexus. I don't really want a Luxury SUV unless I were to buy a one/two year old used one, since its going to become a "barn car" hauling saddles, etc. since the wife would be the daily driver but still it has to be something I can comfortably drive when need be.
My daughter traded in her Pathfinder as it had lots problems. She got a Hyundai Santa Fe and loves it.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:33 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Checked out Nissan today. Murano won't work for me. Road tested both a Pathfinder and a Roque; either might work with my pedal/console requirements. The Pathfinder was more truck like than my actual truck in its handling and ride; in short I didn't care for it. The Rogue was a surprise as it kinda worked for my needs. Its 2.5L engine clearly needs more power, although mileage of 25/32 was excellent and there are no engine upgrades. CVT trans, which I'm not keen on. Still Rogue is at the top of my list for a long term test unless something comes out of checking out the out-of-town dealers - seems I have little choice. I'm sure I won't be seeing Acura since the nearest dealership in now 100 miles away. Mazda is 50 miles. Lexus, Toyota, Subaru, VW, BMW are closer and all the same distance.

For grins I checked the X3 reliability record on the source I use. Sounds like you got a good one but on the whole they are generally just average - seems senor issues, software issues, and unwanted noise kinda head the list. Where as Lexus was at the top of the list for best. However, in the Luxury SUV ratings it beat Lexus. I don't really want a Luxury SUV unless I were to buy a one/two year old used one, since its going to become a "barn car" hauling saddles, etc. since the wife would be the daily driver but still it has to be something I can comfortably drive when need be.
There's an Acura dealer in Ann Arbor, over where Benz and BMW are, off Auto Mall Dr. Zeeb Rd exit, or Jackson Rd exit and u-turn off of 94.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by sam_spider
There's an Acura dealer in Ann Arbor, over where Benz and BMW are, off Auto Mall Dr. Zeeb Rd exit, or Jackson Rd exit and u-turn off of 94.
So its still there? That's odd, I even bought an Acura from them once but when I did a Acura dealer search a day or so ago, they did not turn up.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:06 PM

Road tested a Honda CR-V AWD turbo today. It just moved to the top of the list. I would need a much longer test and likely I would have a small mod made to the throttle but the wife liked it and that's more than half the battle. I found the steering a little heavy but the ride was good and comfortable and it handled fine for what it is.

During the road test a orange box suddenly appeared on the dash and the steering wheel shook violently - - I thought what the hell just happened!! It was one of those safety things for staying in your lane or whatever. ha, ha, ha, ha, ha Hope you can turn that off. And then there was some white thing in dash that said 0-40-80 that kept sloshing around like the gas in the tank. That's has to go too. The salesman was gone when we got back so I couldn't ask him about the rolling mattress in the dash. That whole digital dash thing would take some getting use to.

Last edited by dlq04; 10-05-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:20 PM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Road tested a Honda CR-V AWD turbo today. It just moved to the top of the list. I would need a much longer test and likely I would have a small mod made to the throttle but the wife liked it and that's more than half the battle. I found the steering a little heavy but the ride was good and comfortable and it handled fine for what it is.

During the road test a orange box suddenly appeared on the dash and the steering wheel shook violently - - I thought what the hell just happened!! It was one of those safety things for staying in your lane or whatever. ha, ha, ha, ha, ha Hope you can turn that off. And then there was some white thing in dash that said 0-40-80 that kept sloshing around like the gas in the tank. That's has to go too. The salesman was gone when we got back so I couldn't ask him about the rolling mattress in the dash. That whole digital dash thing would take some getting use to.
Well it's got a turbo! That's for you! There are probably settings that allow you to select what you want to see in the dash display as you drive. I found the fancy speedometer distracting. Since I also have the "regular" gauge type, I opted to leave vehicle information on display.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:16 AM

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Dave,

Two years ago, after I sold my Fiat, we bought a certified 2012 CR-V just to have around. It had 32,000 miles on it and we've put about 35,000 miles on it in the two years that we've owned it. It does everything that we want, starts every morning and gets us home every night. Liz, who never wanted to drive an SUV uses it all the time, her Acura sits in the garage. It's been to Virginia three times, Ohio twice and has become our weekend car. Its that good. I've heard that the new ones are even better. It probably would be a very good choice for you.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:03 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Last year we replaced our Pilot EXLN with a CR-V touring. After 18,000 miles we are happy to report it has been trouble free. Was apprehensive about the CVT transmission but it has been a non issue. Took awhile to get used to all the new safety features. Adaptive cruise control makes you want to keep an open lane in front of you. Auto braking has kicked in a few times with stop and go traffic or when some jag off cuts in front of you on the highway. I am sure the turbo on the 2017 model will add some oomph. Don’t think you can go wrong with the touring model. All the bells and whistles.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:57 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,903 Posts

So its still there? That's odd, I even bought an Acura from them once but when I did a Acura dealer search a day or so ago, they did not turn up.
Yes, still there, it changed names at some point, it's Fox Ann Arbor Acura now. It's in the same place as before, stuck at the back

Quick Reply: Crossover SUV Search