S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

DC Eaglecam 2019

Old 02-13-2019, 01:01 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Default DC Eaglecam 2019

It's that time again...Liberty laid her first egg yesterday. There is a bit of drama, however. Justice, the male, is nowhere to be seen. It appears he may have been usurped by another male named Aaron Burrd! The male is supposed to bring food and share in incubating the egg(s). Liberty has usually laid two eggs, so the watch is on for the second one. TBD which male ultimately wins out.

https://www.eaglecam.org/

No activity yet from the other pair (The President and First Lady). They returned to the nest in Oct. There are some issues with the camera on this site, so nothing to see at this time.

https://www.dceaglecam.org/
Old 02-13-2019, 04:10 AM

Received 2,766 Likes on 1,626 Posts

I've been told by people cleaning up the harbor, as well as some who do research on the harbor that our eagle population has increased over the years. A few of them have seen them while out doing their work. I've yet to see one fly by, though they have been seen at the nature areas I frequent. They supposedly nest over near our reservoir, and there is a nature trail there. That trial is next on our list.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:55 AM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Well, you know Aaron Burrd will win any dual.

Lots of eagles down here, including some bald.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:54 AM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
I've been told by people cleaning up the harbor, as well as some who do research on the harbor that our eagle population has increased over the years. A few of them have seen them while out doing their work. I've yet to see one fly by, though they have been seen at the nature areas I frequent. They supposedly nest over near our reservoir, and there is a nature trail there. That trial is next on our list.
There has been a significant return of the baldies. The Chesapeake has seen a very strong return, the Delaware Bay has seen an increase of about 30% of mating pairs on the NJ side in the past 10 years, and though I do not have numbers on the De side, I am pretty sure that they have done even better. The trend, from my understanding, is that the population explosion is moving the birds even further northward. Being near water as you are I would expect that you will see more of these guys. And if you don't come see us, we have three nesting pairs in West Deptford, and I am not sure where, but they fish off the Lower Twp./Cape May beaches on the bayside. Not that you will be joining the ranks of the blissfully unemployed.....I mean retired.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:15 PM

And here is the Pritchett cam that has been around in FL for a long time. These babies are getting big!! They have a nice description of activity and what they are eating. Also a 360 cam which is cool.

https://dickpritchettrealestate.com/eagle-feed.html
Old 02-17-2019, 12:31 AM

The saga continues...Liberty laid her second egg. It would seem that Justice is the father of both. However, now Liberty has to take care of everything and is getting tired. Justice is still not around. Aaron Burrd is around but is not the father and could destroy the eggs or kill the chicks when they hatch. Ugh...Justice does seem to be showing him the ropes. He has attempted to mate with her, so his interest is divided. And to add to the soap opera, a third male has appeared! For now, he is E2.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:57 AM

Received 4,951 Likes on 3,003 Posts

Wife's been watching the one in FL all along...
Old 02-22-2019, 01:32 PM

DC eagle soap opera continues...Liberty has abandoned the eggs she laid with Justice, who is still MIA. She really could not take care of them alone and left the nest for long periods. It appeared that Aaron Burrd (male who showed up after Justice disappeared, with marks on his claws indicating he might have fought with Justice) might replace him, but then a third male showed up and Liberty has paired off with him. Waiting to see if they return to the nest and she lays new eggs. He doesn't have a name yet, other than M2. To be cont'd...
Old 02-22-2019, 02:42 PM

Received 1,412 Likes on 766 Posts

Hope Justice finds a suitable mate to incubate with. A similar scenario was played out in Iowa, when the male abandoned (or died) the female, but another male took over the conjugal duties. They are bravely fighting the elements to incubate the eggs.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:51 AM

^ Liberty is the female. In the latest development, Justice has returned to the nest! Who knows what will happen next.

Quick Reply: DC Eaglecam 2019