S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Vintage Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/)
-   -   Dick Clark Looked Terrible Last Night (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/dick-clark-looked-terrible-last-night-348618/)

Palmateer 01-01-2006 03:41 AM

Dick Clark Looked Terrible Last Night

I'm amazed that Dick Clark insisted on showing up on ABC's New Years welcoming show. For years, we joked about how young the "world's oldest Rock 'N' Roller" looked.

Not anymore. He looked ten years older, right arm hanging uselessly at his side. His speech was slurred, and he complained that he was having to learn to speak all over again. Surely he will be doing better in another 12 months.

Do you think it was a mistake for him to appear?

Filthy Beast 01-01-2006 05:02 AM

I applaud him !

ralper 01-01-2006 05:06 AM

I didn't see him last night, but I thought that he should have stopped years ago.

MsPerky 01-01-2006 07:06 AM

Well, if you think back on Kirk Douglas, he made it OK to appear in public after a stroke. I didn't see Dick Clark last night, but I give him credit for showing that you can continue in spite of a debilitating condition. I say good for him!

robb 01-01-2006 07:11 AM

I don't think it was a mistake for him to appear, Dick Clark and New Years Eve go together.

valentine 01-01-2006 07:15 AM

I saw him last night and thought he looked pretty well considering he'd had a stroke. His speech was so bad it almost made me cry. The only thing that bugs me about seeing the icons of my youth age and become ill is that it reminds me of my own mortality. I'm glad he did the show and demonstrated such spunk. Giving up is deadly.

Chazmo 01-01-2006 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by MsPerky,Jan 1 2006, 11:06 AM
Well, if you think back on Kirk Douglas, he made it OK to appear in public after a stroke. I didn't see Dick Clark last night, but I give him credit for showing that you can continue in spite of a debilitating condition. I say good for him!

That is exactly what I was thinking, Deb.

It's hard to see folks get old. Just that simple. And frankly, I thought Dick Clark handled himself pretty well considering. I winced a little, but I still was happy he did it. I'm a little troubled that it might've been the networks that put him on because they wanted people to tune in just to see what he looked like.

Whatever the reason, I admire Dick for continuing to do what he loves to do. Life is what it is -- short, precious, and at times very painful.

Zippy 01-01-2006 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Chazmo,Jan 1 2006, 11:24 AM
Whatever the reason, I admire Dick for continuing to do what he loves to do.

:iagree:
As far as Dick on New Years Eve, it's kind of like Guy Lombardo, he just belongs there and I truly applaud his courage!

Matt_in_VA 01-01-2006 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Chazmo,Jan 1 2006, 12:24 PM
Whatever the reason, I admire Dick for continuing to do what he loves to do. Life is what it is -- short, precious, and at times very painful.

:iagree: Perhaps, people seeing this icon of youth perform after having a stroke will give some people encouragement to overcome what ever challenges they face. And perhaps more importantly, will encourage some people to take some health and life style measures to avoid their having a stroke in their own lives.

aznprydefloz 01-01-2006 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by robb,Jan 1 2006, 08:11 AM
I don't think it was a mistake for him to appear, Dick Clark and New Years Eve go together.

:iagree: