S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Did you always want a sports car?

Old 09-23-2016, 10:11 AM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Cars owned from my current memory:
That's some list of interesting cars Bill.

I won't bore anyone with my story again, as I think I posted it more than once.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:59 PM
tof

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,306 Posts

First car was a Triumph Spitfire, so yes, I always wanted a sports car and got one first chance. First NEW car was an Opel 1900 Manta. Great little two door 2+2 coupe. Wonderful to drive but not much more powerful than the Spit. NSX was probably the most powerful car I've ever owned, other than a 1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4. That thing was probably putting down well north of 300 HP, what with 25 lbs of boost and all. AWD meant it was a 0-60 beast. Actually the closest I've ever come to owning a muscle car.

I do like my friend's Hellcat a lot, though.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

In high school a soon-to-be friend moved down from Toledo to Alabama. He brought with him a wrecked Triumph Spitfire. A truck had ignored a stop sign. My friends dad was a mechanic and body man. He helped him rebuild the Spitfire with a 5.0 Mustang engine. It had a hole in the fire wall where you reached in to shift it in to drive. Hoosier slicks. Fuel cell in the trunk. It felt like it went from 0-50 in about 5 seconds and topped out at a differential-limited 55 mph. Had a lot of fun in that car and caught the bug. My friend still has a scar across his cheek from where the truck's bumper hit him.

Since then I've owned an '80 RX7, an '80 911, a '94 BMW 3 series, a '95 NSX, and an '03 S2000. But never a British or American sports car.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:49 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Still remembering. Adding to my list out of order.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ever since I was a little kid, I wanted a Porsche. One day I was out in front of my dad's house and a 911 drove by. You would never expected to see one where he lived. I said "Hey dad, there goes a Porsh." He stop, turned, and said "No son, that is a Porsche. There is no such thing as a Porsh. There is such a thing as a Vette, but there is no such thing as a Porsh." I knew right then that they were special. I always knew I would have one. It may not have been a new one and it may not be the nicest one, but I would have one. I have since owned 4.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:52 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I grew up in an interesting community that included a mixture of blue collar working people, professionals and white collar business folks, and 1%ers including folks such as Briggs Cunningham, Leonard Bernstein, and others of that ilk. As a kid and teenager I was exposed to every vehicle imaginable included muscle cars, hot rods, European sports cars and beautifully restored antique cars from the US and all around the world. There were several car collectors in my community. When I was a kid my Dad owned a GTO. He was a generous Dad and so I drove that car a lot. He even let me take it to college one semester.

I loved cars since childhood. I recall driving on the interstate with my family as a boy well before I had my license and playing a game of identifying by year make and model number every single car on the road. I knew them all - cold. I was about 12.

But, my heart was always owned by the European sports cars. I wanted one really bad. They were all around me. MG's, Austin Healeys, Triumphs, Porsche, Sunbeam, etc. etc. While the American muscle cars are cool for sure, I must say when compared to the experience of driving a little European roadster, the muscle cars just don't do it for me.

In my early 20s I bought a beat up old AH Sprite. I loved it but it was in bad shape. I owned it for a few years. It was rear ended at a stop light by a tractor trailer truck. That was the end of that.

Family and responsibility kicked in for a good 40 years and my yearning for a sports car was repressed by necessity.

This summer at age 65 I bought an 02 Honda s2k. I considered getting an older European sports car but I am still working - full tilt - and my time for turning wrenches is very limited. The Honda caught my eye when they first came out and when I test drove a few and learned more about them I was hooked. I love my s2k. It had 8500 miles on it when I bought it. I want to preserve it but no matter how hard I try I cannot seem to keep my hands off it.

When I retire I might buy an older European sports car to futz around with but I won't be selling this Honda. Its just too good.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:41 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by gomarlins3
Ever since I was a little kid, I wanted a Porsche. One day I was out in front of my dad's house and a 911 drove by. You would never expected to see one where he lived. I said "Hey dad, there goes a Porsh." He stop, turned, and said "No son, that is a Porsche. There is no such thing as a Porsh. There is such a thing as a Vette, but there is no such thing as a Porsh." I knew right then that they were special. I always knew I would have one. It may not have been a new one and it may not be the nicest one, but I would have one. I have since owned 4.
I still call them "Porsh"
Old 09-25-2016, 05:59 AM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
including folks such as Briggs Cunningham,
Now there's a name I don't recall seeing on this site before. As one who remembers him well I instantly think of the Cunningham C-4R that dominated road racing, and John Fitch, and Phil Walters a/k/a Ted Tappett (who's biggest fan growing up was Dan Gurney). Sports car racing legends all.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:29 AM

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,566 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
This summer at age 65 I bought an 02 Honda s2k. I considered getting an older European sports car but I am still working - full tilt - and my time for turning wrenches is very limited. The Honda caught my eye when they first came out and when I test drove a few and learned more about them I was hooked. I love my s2k. It had 8500 miles on it when I bought it. I want to preserve it but no matter how hard I try I cannot seem to keep my hands off it.

When I retire I might buy an older European sports car to futz around with but I won't be selling this Honda. Its just too good.
Wow...8500 miles on an 02?? That's really low. Good for you.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:36 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Wow...8500 miles on an 02?? That's really low. Good for you.
Yes it was a lucky find. The problem is I bought it in June and I already have it up to just shy of 15K. Still - it has low miles and it drives and looks like it. Up here in Vermont it isn't very practical to drive an S except for about 5 - 6 months a year so that is pretty much it for this year. It will go into storage in a month at the latest. It came with an OEM hardtop as well which I have not used except to drive it to Vermont from the seller's home. Its getting a bit chilly now so maybe in a week or two I'll put the hardtop on.

It was very well cared for and garage kept for about 15 years by the one previous owner, (a lovely eldery lady who received it as a gift from her now deceased husband), and I had to promise her that I would take good care of it. Not a hard promise to make. I did go through it pretty carefully given its age, all fluids changed, new tires, new battery, all rubber parts carefully inspected. I upgraded to ap3 v3 wheels and I changed the radio head unit to a modern Alpine with bluetooth. Other than that it is really just about perfect. The brakes are perfect. The transmission and rear diff are perfect.

The engine purrs - and sometimes growls.

I am very impressed with everything about this car - especially the motor. The other thing that really seals the deal is the reliability.

Quick Reply: Did you always want a sports car?