S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Did you always want a sports car?

Old 09-25-2016, 12:25 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I also have mentioned my story before, and yet to recap, I also grew up in an area where I was exposed to just about every car available, in the beatuiful Southern California area just north of Los Angeles. As a kid, my brother and I had motorized mini-bikes, and a go-cart, a neighbor raced a Corvette, a school mate's parents had a Mustang and more. We oftern went to car shows around LA, and saw just about every type of car out there. We gratuated to a motorcycle in high school, and learned to drive our parent's station wagon and standard shift import sedan. At age 12 or so, I read a book that caused me to fall in love with the MG TC and TD, and as I grew up, I leaned toward the '52 TD as a desired car, yet hesitated due to frequent break-down reports.

I didn't have the time while working and going to college to tinker on cars, and knowing that the British sports car nortoriously need frequent repairs, I opted for less the less maintenance versions of transportation. I drove company car sedans for about 15 years, then raised a family driving sedans and mini-vans. I fell in love with the Miata when it first came out, It was a fun sports car with an exhaust tuned to be reminiscent of the 1950 British sports cars, and unlike the Brit's this model was build to be reliable. The kids and family camping trips kept the sports car dream at bay until everyone was out of the house.

The S2K purschase was impulsive, yet planned. I had a set amount that I was willing to spend and lucky for me, the local Honda dealer had one on the lot the afternoon I stopped in. Two test drives and many hours later, the S came home with me. My dream of owning a sports car came true. Just by pure luck and timing, I ended up with one of the most reliable sports cars in history.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:44 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

First sports car I drove was a 1967 Porsche 911T, I helped restore with a friend. Summer between senior year in HS and College. One word: Addicting.

Old 09-25-2016, 03:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Originally Posted by gomarlins3' timestamp='1474683470' post='24068825
Ever since I was a little kid, I wanted a Porsche. One day I was out in front of my dad's house and a 911 drove by. You would never expected to see one where he lived. I said "Hey dad, there goes a Porsh." He stop, turned, and said "No son, that is a Porsche. There is no such thing as a Porsh. There is such a thing as a Vette, but there is no such thing as a Porsh." I knew right then that they were special. I always knew I would have one. It may not have been a new one and it may not be the nicest one, but I would have one. I have since owned 4.
I still call them "Porsh"
You need to stop. The man's name was Porsche. I have a shirt that says "Porsche, it's a two syllable word".
Old 09-25-2016, 05:54 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by gomarlins3
Originally Posted by Legal Bill' timestamp='1474807264' post='24069437
[quote name='gomarlins3' timestamp='1474683470' post='24068825']
Ever since I was a little kid, I wanted a Porsche. One day I was out in front of my dad's house and a 911 drove by. You would never expected to see one where he lived. I said "Hey dad, there goes a Porsh." He stop, turned, and said "No son, that is a Porsche. There is no such thing as a Porsh. There is such a thing as a Vette, but there is no such thing as a Porsh." I knew right then that they were special. I always knew I would have one. It may not have been a new one and it may not be the nicest one, but I would have one. I have since owned 4.
I still call them "Porsh"
You need to stop. The man's name was Porsche. I have a shirt that says "Porsche, it's a two syllable word".
[/quote]

Don't worry. I'll be fine.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know, but I can always try.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:17 PM

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,420 Posts

When I was a kid, I loved collecting Matchbox cars. When I was 16, I wanted a big American boat: Lincoln, Caddy. . . there were 2 Caddy Hearses for sale in my area, and I didn't buy either (my folks wouldn't allow it, and I was generally a good kid).

Then, in 2001, I got a ride in my friend's f355 Serie Fiorano. That was that. I had to have a sports car. After my Jetta died, bought my first S.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:03 PM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

Originally Posted by UnkieTrunkie
When I was a kid, I loved collecting Matchbox cars. When I was 16, I wanted a big American boat: Lincoln, Caddy. . . there were 2 Caddy Hearses for sale in my area, and I didn't buy either (my folks wouldn't allow it, and I was generally a good kid).

Then, in 2001, I got a ride in my friend's f355 Serie Fiorano. That was that. I had to have a sports car. After my Jetta died, bought my first S.
You should have got a hearse. Best friend in college drove one. OMG, what fun we with it but I'll never tell.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:20 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I saw one for sale at a flea market and came pretty close to pulling the trigger. It looked like it would be a hoot.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:45 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

Shades of "Harold and Maude".

In the movie, "Harold and Maude" Harold owned a super, modified sports hearse...
https://www.google.com.ua/search?q=H...&client=safari
Old 09-27-2016, 07:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Like many others the original F&F movie was responsible for my childhood interest in cars. It was in 2003 when I went with my dad to pick up his new Accord that I fell in love with the S2000. I was 15 and a bit of a goof off in school. A few years later, I was contemplating trade school instead of college but decided to give college a go anyway. I told myself that if I finished and got a good job, I would buy one. I got a job 4 months after graduating and spent the next three months shopping online before driving to Tulsa to pick up my 07.

Quick Reply: Did you always want a sports car?