S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Dilemma - First Oil Change

Old 10-20-2003, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dilemma - First Oil Change

Honda makes it clear that you should not make your first oil change before 12 months or 10,000 miles as they fill it with a special break-in oil from the factory.

My dilemma... I bought the car new about 10 weeks ago. The car was manufactured 11/02. I only have 2,000 miles on the car now. Do I change the oil next month, which will be 12 months from when built, or does the 12 months begin when the car is put into normal service?
Old 10-20-2003, 05:47 PM

where did you get the 10K from? Its 7.5K in my book.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:10 PM

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,105 Posts

I thought it was 7,500 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. I would change the oil. The oil will have been in the car for a year.

I think either the oil or the additives absorb moisture over time. xviper has written about this. Perhaps he will add to this thread.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by Whitestock03
Honda makes it clear that you should not make your first oil change before 12 months or 10,000 miles as they fill it with a special break-in oil from the factory.
I don't think this is right, go back and read your owner's manual and I think you'll find that ralper (7,500 or 6 months) is correct. I'd change it now. Lots of oil threads here, enough to confuse anyone, but the owner's manual spells it out, the way Honda thinks it oughta be anyway.

Gary
Old 10-20-2003, 06:36 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

10,000 kilometers?
Old 10-20-2003, 07:16 PM
dee

Just looked it up today in the owner's manual. Under normal driving conditions, the oil should be changed at one year or 7500 miles which ever occurs first.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:43 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

First and foremost comment I have to make: "Time is of the essence". If the "time" interval comes up first, mileage should be disregarded as long as the motor has been "put into service".
Secondly, you must be careful about classifying your usage as "normal" or "severe". Most vehicles owned in N. America would fall under "severe". Read the conditions carefully and I think you will find that your car most likely falls under "severe". If it even meets with a SINGLE criteria, it should be classified as "severe".
3rd, change the oil now with dino 10W30, including the filter. From the first time the car was driven, the oil got contamination that began the acidification process and every time you heat up acidified oil (or any compound) you begin to hydrolize and oxidize the additives within. The oil itself is probably fine but the "good stuff" in it may not be up to acceptable standards after an extended period of time.
Finally, some of us believe there is a "special" factory fill oil. Some of us, like myself do not. As has been seen, sometimes Honda's own techs have "faulty" information (or miscontrued information). My take on this whole "break in" oil is that ANY fill of engine oil after an assembly will have heavy concentrations of components of "assembly lube". What's the main constituent of assembly lube? MOLYBDENUM! Although many "as advertised on TV" oil additives may claim MOLY as a key ingredient, noone has been able to tell me specifically what precise concentration does it take for it to act as an anti-wear agent. The MOLY that is in assembly lube, when "gooped" onto the critical parts DOES act as an anti-wear agent upon initial start up, BUT, does it really do anything once it has been scraped off and diluted out in 5.5 qts. of oil? I'm going to say no until someone can tell me that it definately does.
There have been several examples of S2000 owners who have dumped their initial oil after a thousand miles or so and have even gone to synthetic at that time and has suffered no unusual circumstances later on down the road.
BTW, I am NOT professing that you go to synthetic this early. I only cite that as an example.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:48 AM

xviper, I'm the last one to argue your educated observations but the manual states very clearly that for the break in to be successful it is very important you keep the initial oil for 7.5K.

I'm sure your engine will not suffer unusual circumstances if you do it earlier, but why not just keep it for the duration?
BTW, the manual also states in capital letters to follow the severe conditions schedule only if you MAINLY drive under severe conditions. I interpret mainly as most of the time that the car is driven.
Why do we need to second guess the Honda engineers?
Please enlighten me.
Thanks
Old 10-21-2003, 03:35 AM

I think Xviper has the right idea, BUT only if the car is driven under "Severe" conditions. Those of us in the frozen northlands definitely qualify, but those of you in milder climates might have to work at it a little harder In the meantime here's what Honda calls "Severe Conditions:"

Follow the "severe" schedule only if you drive in one or more of these conditions most of the time:
Trips of less than 5 miles (less than 10 in freezing weather)
Extremely hot weather (over 90 degrees F)
Extensive idling or stop-and-go driving
Trailer towing, driving with a car-top carrier, or driving in the mountains
Muddy, dusty, or de-iced roads
Old 10-21-2003, 05:28 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm so tired of the "magic oil" discussion. If the factory fill is that important, why oh why isn't this magic oil available at dealerships to top off our engines during the first 7,500 miles or to change the oil if we reach one year before we hit 7,500 miles? Someone step up and answer this question. I have asked it 6 or 7 times on other threads.

I have yet to see a thread about engine failure due to defficient oil. Bad oil pump, yes. Low oil level, yes but problems caused by the oil itself?????

I love my S but I don't think I will have it for 200,000 miles which is about how long you would probably need to keep it to see if following special oil change policies throughout the life of the engine will make any difference.

Quick Reply: Dilemma - First Oil Change