S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Dilemma - First Oil Change

Old 10-21-2003, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Legal Bill
I'm so tired of the "magic oil" discussion.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:18 AM

Hmmm. Just walked out to the lot and grabbed my book. Page 157, for severe conditions, shows that at 3,750 miles, or 6 months, "Do items in A", which is "Replace engine oil and filter." On the opposite page, 156, it states under Replace engine oil and oil filter, "Replace every 3,750 miles (6,000 km) or 6 months. Where'd you guys get 7,500 miles for severe conditions?
Old 10-21-2003, 07:48 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fantaS2K
xviper, I'm the last one to argue your educated observations but the manual states very clearly that for the break in to be successful it is very important you keep the initial oil for 7.5K.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by fantaS2K
where did you get the 10K from? Its 7.5K in my book.
I'm sorry for causing confusion. The 10,000 mile figure came from my head... we bought a Civic at the same time as the S2000 and I had been looking at the Civic manual over the weekend.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:45 AM

I think I should have asked it this way:

1. 7,500 mile or 12 months from when? Since all the cars are run at least a few miles before they are shipped to dealer, does the 12 months start when the car is made?

2. Is there really special break-in oil in the car? The manual does not state this, the salesman did.

3. What is the special tool required to remove the filter? I thought the car had a normal spin on filter.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:08 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PWRMKR
Old 10-21-2003, 09:27 AM

Bill, that is really cool. You can change the oil as often as you see fit.
What bugs is that people don't pay attention to the advances made in engine developement in the last 30 years or so. A company like Honda spend milions of dollars on R&D to build a wonderful machine that requires an oil change every 7.5K miles. But we insist on keep changing the oil every 3k miles like our fathers and grandfatherds did.

xviper, I was at the dragon and I can't wait to spend time with you all at FC. I'm willing to wait 7.5K miles and let one of the board members do an oil analysis on the oil before I change.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:31 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fantaS2K
Bill, that is really cool. You can change the oil as often as you see fit.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by xviper
The only way to tell, is to do an oil analysis of 7500 miles oil.
I just hit 3,000 miles and will be changing my oil at 3,750. I purchased my car on December 6, 2002, so I'll be right around a year when I do my oil change. I'm going to send it off and have it analyzed to see if leaving it in there for about a year caused an acidification problem. Note that I have had to add almost 1 quart of oil up to this point. I first I thought that this would invalidate the results of the analysis in regard to the factory fill, but then after I thought about it I realized that some of the additives that have been depleted are probably being replaced to some extent by the replacement oil. So in this regard, having to add oil might actually be a good thing. At any rate, it will be a "real world" test. Since there is not any prior data from my car, I'm hoping that they have some data from the first oil changes of other S2000's.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:48 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

To address the following:

"Whitestock03":
1. Generally speaking, 12 months from the "in service" date. I wouldn't want to let on that anyone should be that anal retentive that they must go by the manufacture date. HOWEVER, on some poor selling cars where there were a surplus made and if that car has sat in the dealer compound for a very long time (like those what they just can't seem to get rid of and have a "year end blowout"), I'd seriously consider dumping that oil after 1000 - 2000 miles.
2. Although some salesmen know their stuff as they are car enthusiasts, on the most part, assume salesmen know nothing about the intricacies of any specialty automobile.
3. There is no "special" tool to remove the oil filter. They put that in there so they can sell a few filter wrenches out of their parts departments. I believe the stock filter has a hex shaped protrusion on the end where you can take it off with an appropriate sized socket or any standard small size filter wrench OR EVEN BETTER, one that you BUY from Honda.

"fantaS2K":
I too, look forward to meeting you. (Please don't punch me out when you see me? ) You are right, engine and oil technology has come a long way. We probably don't need to get so worked about oil changes. And you are also right in that many of us "vintage" guys come from a time when oil changes were a natural thing we did at home, following "old" ideas about when and how it needed to be done. For me, it's an easy thing to do and it gives me a chance to "bond" with my car. I just feel better about the car knowing that it has fresh oil and filter based on that old philosophy. Since Honda bothered to put a "severe" schedule that was different than for "normal", it just in my nature to assume the worse (even though I do live in Canada) and go with the more frequent schedule).

I'm going to step out on a limb here:
An oil analysis of 7500 miles oil will give results that would indicate the oil was closer to the end of its useful lifespan than an analysis of 3700 miles oil. I'd rather have that greater margin, but this is just me.

Quick Reply: Dilemma - First Oil Change