S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Disappointed in Sirius radio

Old 03-13-2019, 10:31 AM

Received 4,919 Likes on 2,983 Posts
Default Disappointed in Sirius radio

I bought Sirius stock a zillion years ago when it first came out. It never took off like I'd hoped. Sold it at a small loss.

But, the reason for my post is I love Doo Wop music from the 50s and I have been told so many times I've lost count that I need to subscribe to Sirius to play 50s & 60s music. I never bothered with the 3-mo free use when I bought my Audi because I didn't drive it enough to bother. But, my wife drives her CR-V daily with long enough drives to the two barns to enjoy ad-free music so she subscribed.

I have now logged several hours of x-way driving in her car and played the 50s enough to be very disappointed in the song selections. Golden Oldies on Comcast tv is ten times better; I listen to that when I am oil painting or working in the garage. Comcast plays all the top sellers without a lot of repeats. Sirius plays a lot of songs that were never good in the 50s by groups that were never good, or they played the flip side of some of the better sellers, and even tho I might go a week between driving her car, I hear the same repeats from a week earlier.

Does Sirius meet your expectations?
Old 03-13-2019, 10:52 AM

Received 2,735 Likes on 1,613 Posts

I am hooked on Sirius radio. I renew every year. Never at full price. I love radio without too much yapping. I'm no good at collecting music on my iphone or streaming. Sirius works for people like me who are lazy in this aspect. That said, you are correct. There are a lot of repeat plays. I like a "Pop" station, one that is more easy listening, the Beatles and a few other stations. All of them seem to repeat their songs quite often, and the same goes for their special "countdowns." I only listen to a small selection of stations, but I like the other options if I want to make a change.

Still, I plan on renewing it each year and we add it to the P car for six months as well.

Sorry you didn't get rich with your stock. I did pretty well with some Boeing stock, until lately....................wait that's probably too soon for that one. I sold half of what I had and did run away with a tidy profit. I'm still up on the balance....
Old 03-13-2019, 10:59 AM

Received 1,128 Likes on 991 Posts

Yeah Sirius meets my expectation which is simply continuous commercial free familiar music. It's solo road trip music for me and certainly not in the S2000 where I rarely remember there's a radio hidden behind the panel. With steering wheel control I can just go up and down thru 50's thru 80's music. Nope, never liked that one. Punch. Nope. Nope. etc. Minimal Doo Wop shows up in the 50's rotations as you note. And very little Doo Wop ever made it to the Billboard Hot 100 lists so wasn't heard on general radio stations in the first place. Single genre CD collection probably works better. And the big collections are full of unfamiliar music for me even growing up in Detroit.

-- Chuck
Old 03-13-2019, 12:47 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Don't listen to radio enough to ever pay for it. I think it came with my SL I purchased Halloween, a 3 month subscription which I never tried. I have gotten so much mail from them wanting me to "extend" my non-existant subscription, each one saying this was my last chance. Then they called my cell phone- a huge no no in my book. (the dealer must have shared my number, I don't give it out to anyone). I told the guy F*** No. Still getting mail, another letter just this week. Please leave me alone.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:59 PM

Received 1,396 Likes on 760 Posts

As for me, I love XM/Sirius. In fact, all 3 of my cars have a subscription. For my almost annual cross country drives, there is nothing like it. In addition to the music channels, I listen to NPR, sports, news, and politics. I have the radios on the family plan which gives me a slight price break. I have been a subscriber since 2004.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:10 PM
Site Moderator

Received 2,582 Likes on 1,900 Posts

I enjoy Sirius, it's not as good as it used to be though. Far better than the FM radio options around here, I drop the local station I like on the way to work, which is only 18 miles.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by jukngene
As for me, I love XM/Sirius. In fact, all 3 of my cars have a subscription. For my almost annual cross country drives, there is nothing like it. In addition to the music channels, I listen to NPR, sports, news, and politics. I have the radios on the family plan which gives me a slight price break. I have been a subscriber since 2004.
We have a local country music station that plays very few ads; that and NPR is what I listen to in my Old Truck. Of course, if needed I have a cassette collection and CD collection to fall back on. What more can a country boy need?

I'm sure Sirius is the way to go on cross country drives.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:13 PM

Received 1,551 Likes on 920 Posts

Well.........
I put in a new Crutchfield headhunt that fits, of course, with 45 watts of power. Along with the soundproofing I added, I was shocked how much improved the stock S2000 speakers were (are). Mine is a 2009. This headunit has bluetooth for mobile calling of course, and allows streaming from said mobile and iPads. $14 for a family plan with Pandora and Spotify for $10 (add Hulu to Spotify for $14 total!!) and you can doo wop to your hearts content.

The only issue, if it is one, is that sometimes we go off the grid on our drives (Sierra Nevada and Hwy 1in California, Death Valley, or upstate Idaho) and have to rely on "offline" modes of stored music. Plus we do have a CD player in the headunit. Practically speaking, how often are you really out of mobile (cell) phone coverage?

You can kiss Sirius goodbye.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:18 PM

I forgot about Pandora. Love it. We play it on a bluetooth speaker using the wife's iPhone when we are outside on the porch or at the campfire. We don't use it enough to have to pay anything,
Old 03-13-2019, 03:45 PM

Received 695 Likes on 471 Posts

We like Siius and don't play the same stations all the time. Rock, county, 60's 70's Oldies, Jazz, some classical. This way you don't get bored with one station and yes the repeats. We also have our favorite artists downloaded to both cars so there is never an issue with any selection we want to listen to. And I beat them down on the price.

Quick Reply: Disappointed in Sirius radio