S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Discussion and review of Good Movies

Old 10-07-2018, 09:37 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts
Default Discussion and review of Good Movies

Link to previous thread on discussing movies

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vi...movies-342152/
Old 11-14-2018, 04:56 PM

Received 2,496 Likes on 1,507 Posts

We went and saw Bohemian Rhapsody yesterday. I knew nothing of Queen and very little of Freddy Mercury before this. It was an enlightening movie and the music was great!

There looks like some other good ones coming like Green Book and The Mule (Clint Eastwood).

Last edited by Scooterboy; 11-14-2018 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:36 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Just attended the Napa Valley Film Festival and saw 12 films over 5 days. The absolute favorite was Green Book. At the festival they often have actors, producers and directors of the films do a Q & A session after the movie is shown. This film had the director and the screen writer on stage. The screenwriter is the son of the driver in the movie, and had some insights to share. The movie is factual with very little artistic license added. Great movie, go see it. Betting it gets several Oscars.

Also was a German movie with subtitles, and it was three hours long. But, the time flew by, it was great all the way through. It was called Never Look Away, try to see it, but not likely to be in major theaters.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:35 PM
tof

Received 1,909 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
We went and saw Bohemian Rhapsody yesterday. I knew nothing of Queen and very little of Freddy Mercury before this. It was an enlightening movie and the music was great!
(Clint Eastwood).
We also enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody. The acting was first rate, especially by Rami Malek. And the music was well chosen and fun to listen to over a theater sound system. I also like that the movie was about Queen, not just Freddy Mercury. But a few of the things you might have learned from this movie weren't exactly accurate. For example, Most of the plot surrounding their appearance at Live Aid was cooked up for dramatic effect (which worked,) Queen never went through the extended falling out portrayed in the movie and had completed a tour supporting their latest album just a few weeks before Live Aid. Also, Mercury did not learn he was HIV Positive until well after the Live Aid concert.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:04 AM

Received 2,576 Likes on 1,562 Posts

Finally got up the nerve to watch It. Not as scary as I expected. Pretty good!
Old 11-21-2018, 06:41 PM

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris
The absolute favorite was Green Book..,. The movie is factual with very little artistic license added. ...
Yeah, well maybe yes, maybe not so much. Some are more inclined to say that it's an exploration of black experience as told by a white guy (yet again).
https://the1a.org/shows/2018-11-21/t...ees-green-book
I'm still interested in seeing it but from some of the arguments I heard this morning in the discussion on 1A, maybe less than accurate and factual but then I didn't hear the entire program either. Link to the podcast is on that page.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:19 AM
tof

Received 1,909 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Originally Posted by SheDrivesIt
Yeah, well maybe yes, maybe not so much. Some are more inclined to say that it's an exploration of black experience as told by a white guy (yet again).
https://the1a.org/shows/2018-11-21/t...ees-green-book
I'm still interested in seeing it but from some of the arguments I heard this morning in the discussion on 1A, maybe less than accurate and factual but then I didn't hear the entire program either. Link to the podcast is on that page.
Most films choose drama over accuracy. Many are really excellent in spite of this, or often because of it.
Lots of examples are covered by this YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgg...BQHIiPmOxezeWA
Why expect more from "The Green Book".
Old 11-22-2018, 09:18 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

As I said, the screenwriter is the son of the driver and was also friends with the black pianist in the movie. He wrote the screenplay from notes and interviews with the two men, so I would give him the benefit of the doubt.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:03 PM

Received 2,947 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
I saw it today with my son and daughter-in-law. We all liked it too. I was in high school when I first heard of them from a friend and didn't like them at first but later had their records.

I left that theater in Longmont to drive to Loveland, CO and see A Star Is Born. I liked it. Once was enough, though.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:09 PM

Received 2,496 Likes on 1,507 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
I saw it today with my son and daughter-in-law. We all liked it too. I was in high school when I first heard of them from a friend and didn't like them at first but later had their records.

I left that theater in Longmont to drive to Loveland, CO and see A Star Is Born. I liked it. Once was enough, though.
A Star Was Born was good. We enjoyed it!

I think we will see Widows tomorrow. Green Book is nowhere nears us so it will have to wait.

Quick Reply: Discussion and review of Good Movies