S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Discussion and review of Good Movies

Old 01-07-2019, 05:22 PM

Received 2,947 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
A recent episode of S.W.A.T., which I consider a no-brainer-action series that I tape because its something to watch if bored, just did a show about high school shootings. It was so well done, it left a real impression with me.

https://www.tvguide.com/news/swat-se...-shooting-cbs/
Now, will you having trouble with bad dreams?
Old 01-07-2019, 08:40 PM

Received 4,919 Likes on 2,983 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
Now, will you having trouble with bad dreams?
I did. But keep in mind, I can't sleep thanks to a sinus issue.... so what the heck. The other one, lately that I can't shake that sicks in my mind is the story (movie, tv, ??) was the guy who I thought was going to kill his horses and tossed a bag over his head and shot himself. Did not see that coming and the image sticks with me.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:50 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
We finally saw The Green Book. It was absolutely great. I would recommend it to everyone.
We saw Green Book a couple nights ago and HIGHLY recommend it.

I traveled on family vacations from PA to Florida and back...this was in the 50s and 1962 (time frame for the movie). I could definitely relate to the story line....a hard road trip.

Oh, and there were lots of 1950/1960 American cars to ogle.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:32 PM

I watched this last night on a Netflix DVD and really enjoyed it. The link below has the trailer if you care to see it. Some people hated on it and said it was unrealistic having been involved in the real thing some how. I don't know any better.

Last Flag Flying

MOVIE INFO

In 2003, 30 years after they served together in the Vietnam War, former Navy Corps medic Richard "Doc" Shepherd (Steve Carell) re-unites with Former Marines Sal (Bryan Cranston) and Richard Mueller (Laurence Fishburne) on a different type of mission: to bury Doc's son, a young Marine killed in the Iraq War. Doc decides to forgo a burial at Arlington Cemetery and, with the help of his old buddies, takes the casket on a bittersweet trip up the East Coast to his home in suburban New Hampshire. Along the way, Doc, Sal and Mueller reminisce and come to terms with shared memories of the war that continues to shape their lives. Director Richard Linklater and author Darryl Ponicsan collaborated on the screenplay which follows the trio as they wrestle with the pangs of war both past and present.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:54 AM
tof

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Just finished watching the three episodes of The ABC Murders on Amazon Prime. This is a story about Agatha Christy's character, Hercule Piorot, late in his life, and also a bit of an origin story. Piorot, well played by John Malkovich, must solve a series of murders that are much more personal than those he famously took on in his younger, brasher, and more self-assured years. There is a fair amount of negative criticism bouncing around the Internet, mostly about how un-Christy-like the dark atmosphere of this story is and how much the Piorot character's brash personality is tamped down in this adaptation. There are also complaints about slow pacing and social criticism that is a bit heavy handed. The criticisms of pacing are probably deserved. It would have been just about right, edited down to a 110 minute feature, but contracts are contracts. In spite of its shortcomings I enjoyed the series very much. The ABC Murders is very atmospheric with first rate cinematography, featuring excellent performances by its entire cast and a plot with Christy-esque twists. Definitely worth a watch if you like a well acted mystery with a good plot and a satisfying ending, as long as you are not put off by the deliberate pace and humorless mood. Just don't expect a Piorot portrail like those of Peter Ustinov or David Suchet, or an Agatha Chrity story like Murder on the Orient Express or Death on the Nile.

Bonus: You get to see Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley from the Harry Potter franchise) all grown up and playing Inspector Crome. It is an excellent performance that is featured in all three episodes, good enough that I didn't recognize Grint until I saw the credits for episode 1.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:06 PM

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,105 Posts

On the other hand, there isn't an old movie I'd want to watch.
I love old movies. Some of my very favorite movies are those from the 20s, 30s and 40s.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by ralper
I love old movies. Some of my very favorite movies are those from the 20s, 30s and 40s.
I tend to look to the future. Am I correct that you tend to look to the past?
Old 02-24-2019, 05:47 PM

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,105 Posts

I tend to look to the future. Am I correct that you tend to look to the past?
No, not at all. I too look to the future, but I appreciate the past. I've always believed that you can't possibly know where you're going if you don't know where you've been. I learn from the past to try to understand the future.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by ralper
No, not at all. I too look to the future, but I appreciate the past. I've always believed that you can't possibly know where you're going if you don't know where you've been. I learn from the past to try to understand the future.
I agree 80% . I don't want to repeat my past mistakes but I can't really say I appreciate it. I learn from my own mistakes and those of my parents' but I'd rather not look at them.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:03 AM

Received 4,919 Likes on 2,983 Posts

I think what made many of the movies of the past great was not the movies themselves - it was the wonderful actors!

Check out this list of the top 25 male & female: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFI%27...rs...100_Stars

So much of today's movies are more like watching a video game then seeing a compelling actor.

Did you watch the Big Show last night? We did not. I get tired of all the Arn't I Wonderful BS. Donna taped it to look at the dresses.

Quick Reply: Discussion and review of Good Movies