S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Do you have a navi?

Old 09-25-2016, 06:48 PM

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,105 Posts
Default Do you have a navi?

Do you have a navi?

In my opinion, the navi is the greatest invention of the 1990s. Nothing else comes close. I have a built in navi in my BMW and my wife has one in her Acura. We have a Garmin that’s shared between my S2000 and our CR-V. We never go anywhere without a navi.

I tend to set my navi no matter where I’m going, even if I’m going somewhere I’ve been before. I like to know how many more miles I have left to go, what time I should expect to arrive, and all of the other feedback I get from the navi.

I mention all of this because for the last 3 days I’ve been driving a loaner while my car is in service. The loaner is a 2016 BMW 228i, a great little car, but it doesn’t have a navi. In the three days and lots of miles that I’ve driven it, I’ve discovered that I really miss the navi. Even though I haven’t gone anywhere with it that I haven’t been to before, I miss all of the feedback.

Now that I’m looking to replace my BMW, one of the features that I’m looking for in the next car is a built in navi.

I especially like built in navi’s. As I mentioned, I do have a Garmin that we use in two of our cars, but I don’t like having to take it off of it’s mounting and hiding it when we park, and I expecially don’t like having it stuck to the windshield with the wires dangling. I suppose there’s nothing wrong with the setup, but I just don’t like it. I’ve also found, over time, that the built in navi is more accurate, and doesn’t lose the satellites as quickly.

In another thread, Legal Bill mention Apple Play (I think that’s its name) which lets you use the screen on you dashboard to show a cell phone app like Waze. It sounds interesting, but it seems to me that it would very quickly use up your monthly data allotment. It could become very expensive. My feeling is that I’m already paying Verizon enough without having to pay for excess data usage. You probably feel the same way about your cell phone provider.

Anyway, if you have a navi, built in, portable or cell phone based, please share your experiences. What do you have, how do you like it, and would you do the same if you had it to do over?
Old 09-26-2016, 02:51 AM

Received 694 Likes on 470 Posts

I agree. We have them in both of our BMW's. I used a Tom Tom in my Jeep and it worked well. Very helpful in finding my detailing customers. With my sense of direction it is a must.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:33 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Have had at least one since about 2002 and haven't gotten lost since.

Gotta be the best invention since sliced bread with one or two or three possible exceptions....!!!

We have a built-in in our Nissan Murano and a portable Garmin for use in the S2000.

We never leave home for a drive without it.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:58 AM

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

We have Garmin for all the cars including the BRZ which has a built in one. Joanne hates it and uses her Garmin instead. The one for the Fiat/S2000 has a built in Dashcam as does the unit for the Sprite. We use them all the time as they come in handy for traffic holdups etc. I also have one for the motorcycle
Old 09-26-2016, 05:06 AM

Received 783 Likes on 433 Posts

Our Acura has one. Neither my Altima or S have one. However, I do have an iPad with AT&Ts original $29.99 unlimited data plan. I tend to have that when I'm in the car, so I don't need built in Navi, and don't care how much data it consumes.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:11 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Dealing with the specifics raised in Rob's post, let me just say that this forum may be the wrong audience to get up to the minute Intel on the state of GPS technology. Yes, GPS is wonderful and I'm sure most of us use it regularly. I'm also sure that many of us have it as a built in manufacturer's feature. But the trend is away from built in GPS to mirroring technology that displays your phone's screen on the car's in dash screen. This gives you access to the very best navigation systems that do not charge for upgrades, or even need upgrades as they happen on the provider's end. Waze and Google Earth are much better programs than the manufacturer's product. Waze allows for user updates to tell you about accidents and police speed traps in real time. Plus, with Apple CarPlay and the Android equivalent you can get many other features of your phone up on your dash and played on the cars sound system.

There are some draw backs. You need to plug your phone into the charger as GPS programs tend to drain the battery. Today the manufacturers tend to include a smaller screen if you don't buy their navi system. Rob asks about data usage. That has not been an issue for me, but I only use my phone as a GPS on about five percent of my trips.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:42 AM

Here is a link that may or may not be up to date with regards to availability of Apple CarPlay from the automobile manufacturers:

http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/available-models/

Here is a link to a discussion of the data issue:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi..._and_Gear.html

Not too helpful, but has some background that I didn't know:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/apple-ca...ews-18450.html

Here is what Apple says it can do:

http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/
Old 09-26-2016, 05:45 AM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Dealing with the specifics raised in Rob's post, let me just say that this forum may be the wrong audience to get up to the minute Intel on the state of GPS technology. Yes, GPS is wonderful and I'm sure most of us use it regularly. I'm also sure that many of us have it as a built in manufacturer's feature. But the trend is away from built in GPS to mirroring technology that displays your phone's screen on the car's in dash screen. This gives you access to the very best navigation systems that do not charge for upgrades, or even need upgrades as they happen on the provider's end. Waze and Google Earth are much better programs than the manufacturer's product. Waze allows for user updates to tell you about accidents and police speed traps in real time. Plus, with Apple CarPlay and the Android equivalent you can get many other features of your phone up on your dash and played on the cars sound system.

There are some draw backs. You need to plug your phone into the charger as GPS programs tend to drain the battery. Today the manufacturers tend to include a smaller screen if you don't buy their navi system. Rob asks about data usage. That has not been an issue for me, but I only use my phone as a GPS on about five percent of my trips.
What Bill says!

I have navi in my TL and RDX and have had factory gps in other vehicles, as well as a number of standalone units. WAZE is the single best app/tech available at this time (it works in conjunction with Google maps, as they share info). Even though the screen is smaller (phone) the voice commands come through my audio system and it works fine for me.

Even in the vehicles that have oem gps, we use WAZE or G-maps. The only way I would buy oem gps again, is if I have no other option to get the features that I want.

I have found data usage to be insignificant.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Zippy
Originally Posted by Legal Bill' timestamp='1474895492' post='24069991

What Bill says!

I have navi in my TL and RDX and have had factory gps in other vehicles, as well as a number of standalone units. WAZE is the single best app/tech available at this time (it works in conjunction with Google maps, as they share info). Even though the screen is smaller (phone) the voice commands come through my audio system and it works fine for me.

Even in the vehicles that have oem gps, we use WAZE or G-maps. The only way I would buy oem gps again, is if I have no other option to get the features that I want.

I have found data usage to be insignificant.

History has shown that when Ken and I agree on something you can take it to the bank!
Old 09-26-2016, 05:53 AM

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Not sure recommending a smaller screen(phone) on the "Vintage"!forum is a good idea !!

Quick Reply: Do you have a navi?