S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Do you think the manual transmission will survive?

Old 02-15-2013, 05:18 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts
Default Do you think the manual transmission will survive?

I insist on a manual transmission in any car that I buy. I enjoy driving it and I find that I get bored of any car with an automatic transmission very quickly. I'm sure many people feel the way I do, yet its getting harder and harder to find cars with manual transmissions.

About 7 months ago I bought a BMW 328i. I wanted the sport edition, a navi and a manual. You'd think a manual would be a natural in any car sold as a "Sport Edition" but there wasn't one in the entire country configured the way I wanted. My BMW had to be built special for me. Had I been willing to take it with an automatic, I could have had it the afternoon I made the deal. As I walked through the showroom, I was sure that I'd see some of the M series cars with manuals. Wrong again. Of all Ms that the dealer had, only one or two had manual transmissions.

About a year ago I read that only 9% of the cars being made were being made with manual transmissions. Just recently I read that the number was down to 6%.

I don't know if it's because people just don't want manual transmissions, no longer learn to drive them, or if it's just that the manufacturers want to simplify (and cheapen) their production and just produce cars one way. Whatever the case, it's getting harder and harder to find cars with manual transmissions.

My question is this, do you think manual transmissions will survive the decade? Will we be able to buy cars with manual transmissions in the year 2020? What do you think, and why?
Old 02-15-2013, 05:44 PM

Received 3,513 Likes on 2,377 Posts

I can't think of two reasons to have a manual.
1) one enjoys the interaction of gear selection and control.
2) "direct drive-line" i.e. no slush box but a tightly coupled drive-line to be able to feather the throttle through corners.

so in this category we have DCG's SMGs etc.
These take the second category away from the physical shift lever and replace it with paddles.
still sort of a manual selection, of sorts...
but rowing through the box with a gear lever?, 5, maybe 10 years tops.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:55 PM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts

I can't say. I think manual transmissions will be around in the "true sports cars", or I hope so anyway. Personally, the only manual I really enjoy driving is the S.

I had the WRX today. While it is a fun car, love the pick up, I find a manual transmission a real PIA around town, doing errands, getting stuck in traffic. We're looking into getting rid of the WRX in the near future. The replacement (not sure what yet) won't be a manual.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:31 PM

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

one of the reasons we got rid of the Evo X was it had flappy paddle gearbox Got a 6 speed BRZ and kept the WRX no autos in this house until it is absolutely necessary
Old 02-15-2013, 06:44 PM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGGIEMAE
one of the reasons we got rid of the Evo X was it had flappy paddle gearbox Got a 6 speed BRZ and kept the WRX no autos in this house until it is absolutely necessary
At least ONE auto auto isn't a bad thing. Take it from people who have had five shoulder surgeries between us.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:25 AM

Received 158 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Originally Posted by MAGGIEMAE' timestamp='1360985468' post='22341301
At least ONE auto auto isn't a bad thing. Take it from people who have had five shoulder surgeries between us.
Or when you break the foot, or roll your toes under your foot..... (ME!).... then having a automatic in the household is nice!

Cars with manual trannys used to be quicker 0-60, get better gas mileage.... but now some brands have automatics that bean the manual tranny's in these two areas.

I would hope that at least one manufacturer would keep a manual tranny in their line, as they would probably get most of that 6% of cars sold that have manuals.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:26 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Not sure...but I do love driving one. I'm like you - I get bored with an automatic. I remember years ago having a front-wheel drive Honda Accord (when the Accord model was new) that did so well in the snow. It passed a lot of other stranded cars!
Old 02-16-2013, 02:26 AM

Received 158 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Originally Posted by MAGGIEMAE' timestamp='1360985468' post='22341301
What the heck are you two doing that you have had 5 shoulder surgeries?

On second thought, maybe we don't want to know!
Old 02-16-2013, 02:30 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

We feel the same as you Rob, have only have had sticks since we got married way back in '77. Currently thinking of replacing Karla's red 07 Si with a 2013 white one. Just have to find one.
Levi
Old 02-16-2013, 02:33 AM

Received 709 Likes on 434 Posts

I love a manual transmission in a sports car and so does Jim. I'd rather have an auto transmission in heavy traffic or just driving about town. I think they will become less and less available except in sports cars. Most younger people do not know how to operate a manual, I'm sad to say.

Quick Reply: Do you think the manual transmission will survive?