S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Vintage Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/)
-   -   Don't take anything for granted... (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/dont-take-anything-granted-320343/)

MsPerky 09-09-2005 03:57 PM

Don't take anything for granted...

Spokane's thread about this friend who was killed on 9/11 inspired me to post this:

A man I worked with for many years died a couple of nights ago after a valiant battle with pancreatic cancer. I'll be attending his funeral next week. I have been a bit teary eyed about that today, because I recalled something that happened not long ago. He continued to come to work almost to the last, but it was difficult. He was increasingly weak. I always wanted to help him, but of course there was nothing I could really do. But one day he was walking slowly down the hall. I asked him if he was OK. He wasn't really, and told me his shoes were untied. I guess he had forgotten to tie them that morning. He couldn't tie them himself, so he sat down on a box in the hallway and I tied them for him. Something so small, but so personal. It really showed me how important it is to not take even the little things for granted.

Hold your friends and loved ones close to you for as long as you can. :cry:

Lainey 09-09-2005 04:38 PM

Sorry to hear of your loss, Deb. Our friend's Dad died of the same illness. I clearly remember the last time we saw him and how we probably all knew it was the last time.

canberra 09-09-2005 06:41 PM

How right you are, Deb. Thanks for the reminder. Amazing how relevant those "little things" really are.

Sorry for your sadness.

God bless your friend.... and you too.

ralper 09-09-2005 08:20 PM

Deb,

Oftentimes the little things, the insignificant things, are really the important things. And you are right, no one should ever take anything for granted.

It is sad when you lose a friend. It is especially sad when you watch helplessly as cancer does its damage. It is a horrible disease.

My condolences.

Matt_in_VA 09-09-2005 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by MsPerky,Sep 9 2005, 07:57 PM
Spokane's thread about this friend who was killed on 9/11 inspired me to post this:

A man I worked with for many years died a couple of nights ago after a valiant battle with pancreatic cancer. I'll be attending his funeral next week. I have been a bit teary eyed about that today, because I recalled something that happened not long ago. He continued to come to work almost to the last, but it was difficult. He was increasingly weak. I always wanted to help him, but of course there was nothing I could really do. But one day he was walking slowly down the hall. I asked him if he was OK. He wasn't really, and told me his shoes were untied. I guess he had forgotten to tie them that morning. He couldn't tie them himself, so he sat down on a box in the hallway and I tied them for him. Something so small, but so personal. It really showed me how important it is to not take even the little things for granted.

Hold your friends and loved ones close to you for as long as you can. :cry:

As I remember by friend Kimi that died of cancer at the age of forty-six. She taugth me that life is not fair only death is, as it takes us all in the end.

My condolences to you as well as his family. (sorry that I forgot the first time)

spt-s2k 09-10-2005 04:05 AM

Deb, so sorry to hear of your loss. You are right, it is the small things that count. As I had posted in another thread of my sister's fight with cancer, she has made a temporary comeback. But it is temporary, and now we just want to spend as much time with her as possible.

MsPerky 09-10-2005 04:20 AM

^ Yes, spend as much time as you can while you can, Sam...I've learned that with Auntie and my parents, too. It's difficult to watch your loved ones suffer, but I think it's still worth it for that quality time together. And it gives you an opportunity to resolve old issues if there are any. Take care...

Thanks, Everyone, for your heartfelt comments.

paS2K 09-10-2005 05:35 AM

Deb-

It was nice that you helped with small things while your friend was alive.....much more meaningful than sending flowers 'after the fact' :(

At my 7 am Mens Grp meeting this morning, one of the group dropped the bomb that his fairly new wife had asked him to move out of the house (married less than a year). There are 8 and 12 year old kids involved (his). There's little that we could do except 'listen' and offer a few words of encouragement. At the end of the meeting, I stood up and gave Kevin a hug....which initiated the other 4-5 men doing the same. Otherwise, this probably would not have happened :buddies:

The message is: Do It Now.....Tomorrow May Be Too Late!

valentine 09-10-2005 06:03 AM

:cry: So sorry to hear of the loss of your friend, MsP. And, Sam, sad to hear your sister has relapsed. My best to you both.

Kyras 09-10-2005 07:45 AM

:(