Go Back  S2KI Honda S2000 Forums > Special Interest > S2000 Vintage Owners
Reload this Page >

Don't take anything for granted...

S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Don't take anything for granted...

 
Old 03-07-2019, 05:14 AM
  #21  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Worthington, Ohio
Posts: 1,570
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Yes, very sad news.

(My mother passed away on January 1, 1999, from pancreatic cancer, just 6 weeks after she was diagnosed.)
buckeyesue is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 05:32 AM
  #22  
Thread Starter
 
MsPerky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 36,246
Likes: 0
Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default

^ That is hard, Sue. Only six weeks. Wow...a year is the average. Very hard to diagnose pancreatic cancer until it is pretty much stage 4 (metastasized). I think there are some strides being made, but not fast enough for many. My friend died six years after your mother, and now here it is 14 years later.
MsPerky is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 05:36 AM
  #23  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Worthington, Ohio
Posts: 1,570
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MsPerky View Post
^ That is hard, Sue. Only six weeks. Wow...a year is the average. Very hard to diagnose pancreatic cancer until it is pretty much stage 4 (metastasized). I think there are some strides being made, but not fast enough for many. My friend died six years after your mother, and now here it is 14 years later.
Thanks, Deb.

Yes, it was hard, but she was able to continue almost all of the activities that she had been doing almost right up to the end of her life.

She did not suffer much, so in that sense it was a blessing.
buckeyesue is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 05:59 AM
  #24  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lewes, DE
Posts: 5,879
Likes: 0
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

It is the worst cancer to survive. A business customer who worked at IBM for 40 years, retired, and was diagnosed with this cancer 6 months later. He did not last long. Very sad indeed.
S2KRAY is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 06:06 AM
  #25  
tof
 
tof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Long Beach, MS
Posts: 8,901
Likes: 0
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default

And now Alex Trebek.
tof is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 06:28 AM
  #26  
 
Zippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: West Deptford NJ
Posts: 9,111
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default

Don't count him out yet. And yes, I do understand the prognosis. That said advances are made everyday, and I do believe that Alex Trebek, like nearly all who have currently, or have beaten cancer will fight, and perhaps he will win. Positivity and good medicine are equally important, IMHO.
Zippy is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 09:14 AM
  #27  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Bondville
Posts: 10,029
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

Boy this thread really hits home. I had posted a little while back that my Mom found out she had pancreatic cancer at the end of October last year. She unfortunately passed away January 7th of this year. She was in hospice at home and I had gone back and forth to see her and the hospice nurse had said she would let me know when Mom was at the end. The nurse told my Dad that my Mom had about 2 weeks left so I got time off from work and was going to spend the remaining time my Mom had left with her but unfortunately literally as I was heading out in the morning to leave my house my sister called to tell me Mom had just passed. I guess life isn’t always like it is in the movies and on t.v.
robb is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 09:40 AM
  #28  
Thread Starter
 
MsPerky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 36,246
Likes: 0
Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default

So sad that you could not see her at the end, but I know you are thankful you did have time with her after her diagnosis. That is so important.
MsPerky is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 10:17 AM
  #29  
 
Lainey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Smalltown
Posts: 55,513
Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by robb View Post
Boy this thread really hits home. I had posted a little while back that my Mom found out she had pancreatic cancer at the end of October last year. She unfortunately passed away January 7th of this year. She was in hospice at home and I had gone back and forth to see her and the hospice nurse had said she would let me know when Mom was at the end. The nurse told my Dad that my Mom had about 2 weeks left so I got time off from work and was going to spend the remaining time my Mom had left with her but unfortunately literally as I was heading out in the morning to leave my house my sister called to tell me Mom had just passed. I guess life isn’t always like it is in the movies and on t.v.
I'm so sorry for your loss, Rob. Losing one's mom is not easy. I hope your Dad is doing as well as can be expected.
Lainey is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 10:33 AM
  #30  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Bondville
Posts: 10,029
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
I'm so sorry for your loss, Rob. Losing one's mom is not easy. I hope your Dad is doing as well as can be expected.
Thank you. Dad is doing o.k. he always told me if my Mom passed before him he would be heading to Florida which is what he is doing. I’m sure it is tough for him they were married for 55 years. My sister is living with him also and is going to stay in his house in Rhode Island after he heads to Florida.
robb is offline  

Quick Reply: Don't take anything for granted...


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands