S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Vintage Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/)
-   -   Drive a lot? Every tried a audio book? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/drive-lot-every-tried-audio-book-1194849/)

dlq04 06-12-2019 02:55 PM

Drive a lot? Every tried a audio book?

If I did drive a lot I would order this a minute. I read the original book when it first came out and was hooked. I think hearing it would really be a treat.

Burt Levy's "The Last Open Road" Audiobook to Debut at Road America July 18-21, as Cult-Classic Book Celebrates its 25th Anniversary

CHICAGO (June 11, 2019) - "The Last Open Road," the first book in author/racer Burt Levy's acclaimed six-novel series, will debut as a radio-play audiobook with sales and signings during the WeatherTech International Challenge with Brian Redman, at Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wis., July 18-21.

David Hobbs and Redman, both of whom voice supporting roles in the audiobook, will join Levy in the Road America Paddock Shop to sign copies of their own books, "Hobbo: Motor Racer, Motor Mouth" and "Brian Redman: Daring Drivers, Deadly Tracks," as well as copies of the new audiobook and a commemorative Audiobook Premiere poster.

"The W.I.C. debut is an excellent fit, since the original book debuted at the same event exactly 25 years ago," said Levy. "And Brian is one of many famous racing personalities (along with Hobbs, Ray Evernham, Tommy Kendall, Patrick Long, Skip Barber, Spencer Pumpelly, John Morton, Mark Greene, Marino Franchitti, Bill Warner and several others) to play supporting character roles in the new audiobook."

"The Last Open Road" is a humorous and historically accurate tale of 19-year-old New Jersey gas-station mechanic Buddy Palumbo's adventures as he's swept up in the glamorous, dangerous, upper-crust and occasionally decadent world of open-road sports car racing during the Eisenhower '50s.

Originally self-published after being turned down by major fiction publishers, it is currently in its 10th hardcover printing and has emerged as a cult classic on the motorsports and collector-car scenes.

The audiobook is presented in the style of a 1950s radio play, including professional voice actor Greg Beastrom as narrator, sound effects, period music, authentic engine noises and celebrity guest voices in smaller character roles.

"I'm thrilled that 'The Last Open Road' audiobook is finally finished - it's taken three years of effort - and that so many famous motoring personalities wanted to be a part of it," Levy added.

The new audiobook runs nearly 22 hours in length, and will be available as MP3 files on a USB flash drive (at $55), and as a 22-disc CD set (at $65). Both will include a bonus video file or DVD disc of "Ride with Burt" videos, features and interviews. Pre-orders are now being taken at www.lastopenroad.com.

Individual, club, team and group sponsorships, which include mention in the audiobook credits, an audiobook copy and a listing, plus a copy of the exclusive, numbered, suede-bound 25th Anniversary Collectors' Edition of "The Last Open Road," are also available at $250.

Corporate chapter sponsorships are available at $3000. Contact thinkfast@mindspring.com for additional details.

Excerpts from the new audiobook may be heard on www.lastopenroad.com or on YouTube at

To request review chapters or schedule an interview, contact the Think Fast Ink office at thinkfast@mindspring.com or call (708) 383-7203.

About the Author:
Dubbed "The World's Fastest Novelist," Burt Levy has been racing and writing about the sport for almost 50 years. He's an accomplished amateur and vintage racing driver with nearly 100 race wins and eight season championships to his credit, and regularly serves as a driving instructor for car clubs and race-sanctioning bodies. Some of the cars he's raced may be viewed at
. "Ride With Burt" videos may be viewed at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC69..._as=subscriber.
He's also an award-winning motorsports journalist, a sought-after car-club banquet
speaker and an occasional race track color announcer. There are currently six novels in "The Last Open Road" series (plus a seventh on the way) along with his short-story anthology, "A Potside Companion." He and wife Carol were married 45 years ago on Valentine's Day, 1974 (also her birthday), work together and are avid bicyclists and fitness enthusiasts.

tof 06-12-2019 03:33 PM

Finding something to your taste here might be a challenge, but you can rent an audio book on CD at any Cracker Barrel and return it to any other Cracker Barrel. Pretty good variety, too.

Kyras 06-12-2019 04:19 PM

I did use audio books a time or two. The first one was when Andy (ex-husband), our two kids and me drove to Kennedy Meadows, CA. It was only 2.5 miles hours from home in Acton, CA but it helped keep us all engaged. It was Bill Bryson's , which is kinda like the Pacific Crest Trail, that goes through Kennedy Meadows right where my 20 acres and 5th wheel still are. It was a funny book/listen but got a bit dragged down when Bill Bryson got on his soap box. Since then, I've listened to another book on CD that was interesting but it's been years. It was on a similar vein of it being an adventure in the wilderness.

windhund116 06-12-2019 05:04 PM

2.5 hours from Acton, right? Or were you use using a time-compressor machine?

:)

Scooterboy 06-12-2019 05:06 PM

The problem with books on CD is that most new cars don't have CD players!

windhund116 06-12-2019 05:08 PM

Bluetooth off your phone. That's a lot of folks do with music, these days.

Kyras 06-12-2019 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by windhund116 (Post 24611883)

:ponder:. Acton, California to Kennedy Meadows, California in Inyokern.

buckeyesue 06-12-2019 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Kyras (Post 24611896)
:ponder:. Acton, California to Kennedy Meadows, California in Inyokern.

Patty, your original message said 2.5 miles from Acton to Kennedy Meadows.

Windhund is asking whether that should be 2.5 hours, rather than 2.5 miles.

Scooterboy 06-12-2019 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by windhund116 (Post 24611886)
Bluetooth off your phone. That's a lot of folks do with music, these days.

WOW! I just may forget about using my eight track player and try that! :tipwink:

Kyras 06-13-2019 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116 (Post 24611883)

Originally Posted by buckeyesue (Post 24611908)
Patty, your original message said 2.5 miles from Acton to Kennedy Meadows.

Windhund is asking whether that should be 2.5 hours, rather than 2.5 miles.

Ah, yes. Hours, not miles.