S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Dying Shopping Malls

Old 05-05-2019, 06:04 AM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

If they close our malls, where will we old folks walk during bad weather?
Old 05-05-2019, 08:09 AM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

Back when I was in the shopping center development business we looked at the conversion possibilities of a 900,000 sf enclosed mall. The two most viable options were conversion to a penal facility or a medical center. The medical center was a very distant second. Housing essentially required that the mall be demolished and new construction of purpose-built apartments or condos. Conversion of the peripheral land into free standing restaurant and lodging sites was also very viable.

As to retail, the disposable income of the average American is shrinking every year. It's not over yet.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:49 AM

Received 4,956 Likes on 3,004 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
If they close our malls, where will we old folks walk during bad weather?
So make them into Senior Centers, there are going to lots of them! We walk daily in ours - rain or shine - because the footings is so much better than the potholed streets in our sub. This mall was made for walking........

Old 05-05-2019, 12:49 PM

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
So make them into Senior Centers, there are going to lots of them! We walk daily in ours - rain or shine - because the footings is so much better than the potholed streets in our sub. This mall was made for walking........

But who will pay the taxes?

I went to our local mall this afternoon. Rick needed new belts. I was also thinking of looking for some new clothing so you all don't see me in the same clothing I wore last year at SF. Started at JC Penney. They were having a "Black Friday in May" sale. They were busy. Found a couple leather belts by Levi, buy one get one 50% off. AND I saw signs telling me if I spent $25.00 I'd get a $10.00 coupon; but wait, that doesn't apply to Levi's mdse. OK, whatever. Bought them, we'll see how long they last. I looked around at gym clothing, other clothing, jewelry, (always like new earrings) but lost interest quickly. I found a small wallet that is supposed to provide protection for my credit cards from scanning. OK I'll bite. About $60.00 spent, done at JC Penney.

Went to Macy's lost interest quickly, petite clothing again looked like old lady clothing. Went to Bath and Body, sniffed a few lotions, tried a couple, but I've got a bunch of that stuff already, left there no $ spent. In and out of Old Navy and a shoe store, no $ spent.

The mall was relatively busy, Sears and Payless won't be there much longer, but I didn't notice any empty store fronts. That is good. There were lines at JC Penney and Annie's Pretzels and people were walking around with shopping bags, and of course, some people just walk around with their faces in their phones, I wanted to accidentally run into one of them. Our mall is much smaller than than the two others in the area that are either closed or in foreclosure.

I got a bit of exercise by walking up and down the length a couple of times. The mall had a previous life as a golf course so it's not totally flat. You can get a little extra exercise anyway.

I'm done with mall shopping for a while. I guess I still prefer a quick stop at a free standing store, or a small strip mall, and much prefer online shopping. I'd rather buy, try at home and return, if needed.

So Dave, now that your MG has been repaired on the roadside, come on over to MA, you can walk in our mall. I'll buy you a pretzel, you bring the
Old 05-05-2019, 02:02 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

They tend to do okay as government offices, fitness centres, and call centres.

I can't say I feel sorry to see them go after they killed the mom and pop stores and main streets decades ago. I wish those kinds of retail areas would come back to life. I can't remember the last time I went to a shopping centre, they are just a magnet for criminals/gangs or people that just seem to hang around doing nothing.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:08 PM

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
They tend to do okay as government offices, fitness centres, and call centres.

I can't say I feel sorry for them after they killed the mom and pope stores and main streets decades ago, I wish those kinds of retail areas would come back to life. I can't remember the last time I went to a shopping centre, they are just a magnet for criminals/gangs or people that just seem to hang around doing nothing.
You painted shopping centers with a pretty broad brush here. While I'm not a fan of some stores, and SOME of the patrons might be a bit I don't find what you described to be the case in our area. What area are you speaking of?
Old 05-05-2019, 03:14 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
You painted shopping centers with a pretty broad brush here. While I'm not a fan of some stores, and SOME of the patrons might be a bit I don't find what you described to be the case in our area. What area are you speaking of?
Joey,is speaking of Ontario,Canada.

Last edited by Emil St-Hilaire; 05-05-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:45 PM

Received 4,956 Likes on 3,004 Posts

But who will pay the taxes? Since the taxes are not going into street repair, might as well be towards a senior's mall.

So Dave, now that your MG has been repaired on the roadside, come on over to MA, you can walk in our mall. I'll buy you a pretzel, you bring the - - Thanks for the offer but it needs more repairs than tin foil. Changing all the coolant now since its been 4 years and it makes changing the control valve a little easier. Hoping to replace both front shocks this week, as one started leaking (its British).
As for malls, we have no gangs, if fact they tell kids at the one I go to they can't wear their hoodies up when in the mall. About 50% of it is empty but what stores are there are quite busy (Best Buy, Kohls, Target, Bed & Bath). I hate shopping only because nothing ever fits me right, so I always shop locally. I can't recall ever buying any clothes over the internet that ever fit. They say between 25 and 40 percent of all returns come from internet shopping.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:10 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

you are correct I did paint shopping malls with a broad brush, something I should not do. The malls I referred to are ones I've visited in Toronto Canada, and I just don't care to return to them any time soon. They weren't my fancy, shootings have occurred there, cars get stolen all the time, Ive seen license plates get stolen in front of my eye, just not for me to be honest The malls in my hometown are safe but they just don't have anything that attracts me.

I do appreciate them as employment generators and valuable tax base for municipalities. I don't do on-line shopping either, so I'm not one of these people who would rather shop on-line vs the shopping mall. My preference is to shop at strip malls or big box stores (Walmart excluded) , where I can drive up the store I want to visit , get what I need and then leave. Parking is usually easy, there are fewer crowds to deal with , less walking time , just an easier and faster shopping experience.