S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The Economy

Old 12-03-2014, 01:02 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
Originally Posted by paS2K' timestamp='1417547590' post='23424546
Noted that no one else has yet been interested in your comments
Jerry,

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. I'd be willing to bet you that everyone in this thread read the comments. And I'd be willing to bet everyone in this thread is charitable. Some give their time, some give their money and some give both.

Charity and charitable giving for me is a very personal thing. I don't need to tell anyone about my charitable giving nor do I need for anyone to acknowledge my giving. For me it is enough just to know that I've given. My satisfaction comes from my own knowledge that I've helped, not from anyone else patting me on the back or telling me how good I am.

I think many people feel that way, and that is why there were no comments, not because nobody was interested.
Here's one who does.

The DC area has been generally great for jobs, but even here there has been some cutback. Spending is driven by whether someone thinks s/he is going to be employed or not. And the stock market is driven largely by perception, not fact.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:00 AM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts

On the subject of giving to charity. It seems everywhere you go, stores are collection for various charities. I generally will agree to a donation. The other day Rick and I were shopping. I guess I was feeling like a big spender. I added $5.00 to my total for the charity. The cashier calls over to another clerk to advise "We just got a $5.00 donation." The next thing I know, over the PA comes an announcement that (paraphrasing) "Attention shoppers. We just received a $5.00 donation, thank you for donating, please continue to give, yada, yada." They weren't pointing fingers at us or shining a spotlight, however I found it a little embarrassing. Maybe deep inside I was secretly hoping with all the fanfare for a $5.00 donation, balloons would have been released from above.

Still lots of folks hurting financially out there.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:26 AM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

Some of you know I was involved with food banks for several years. It was some of the most satisfying and productive volunteer work I've ever done.

When I went out speaking, one of the issues I'd address is Holiday Giving.

Many people are charitable in the Holiday season but for most charities, the need is year round.

So when you consider giving, do it on calendar basis not just a seasonal one.

fltsfshr
Old 12-03-2014, 06:40 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
On the subject of giving to charity. It seems everywhere you go, stores are collection for various charities. I generally will agree to a donation. The other day Rick and I were shopping. I guess I was feeling like a big spender. I added $5.00 to my total for the charity. The cashier calls over to another clerk to advise "We just got a $5.00 donation." The next thing I know, over the PA comes an announcement that (paraphrasing) "Attention shoppers. We just received a $5.00 donation, thank you for donating, please continue to give, yada, yada." They weren't pointing fingers at us or shining a spotlight, however I found it a little embarrassing. Maybe deep inside I was secretly hoping with all the fanfare for a $5.00 donation, balloons would have been released from above.

Where can you get that kind of attention for $5.00!!
Old 12-03-2014, 06:49 AM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Originally Posted by Lainey' timestamp='1417615235' post='23425366

Where can you get that kind of attention for $5.00!!
Your favorite place, Bill. Ocean State Job Lot!!! Fame and fortune awaits you too, for a $5.00 donation!
Old 12-03-2014, 09:14 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by fltsfshr
Some of you know I was involved with food banks for several years. It was some of the most satisfying and productive volunteer work I've ever done.

When I went out speaking, one of the issues I'd address is Holiday Giving.

Many people are charitable in the Holiday season but for most charities, the need is year round.

So when you consider giving, do it on calendar basis not just a seasonal one.

fltsfshr
Great point, Grant, and thanks for sharing it!
Old 12-03-2014, 09:22 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
Originally Posted by RMurphy' timestamp='1417554669' post='23424686
[quote name='paS2K' timestamp='1417547590' post='23424546']
[quote name='S2KRAY' timestamp='1417451694' post='23423007']
I plan to increase my charitable donations this year. So many people, especially children who have no where to live, not much to eat and a dim future. We are fortunate but don't take our good fortune for granted. I plan to cut down on gift giving this year to channel more contributions to those who really need it. Isn't that what Christmas spirit is all about.
Noted that no one else has yet been interested in your comments
I'm pretty sure he's not doing it for the pat on the back or the kudos of anyone else.

Thanks for the attempt at laying the guilt-trip on though, Jerry.
[/quote]Not looking for a pat on the back or any other atta boy's. Just saying that this year I will do more to try to help the less fortunate among us. You don't have to be religious to help your fellow man or woman but a little compassion goes a long way.
[/quote]

No atta boy's but I do give you credit for giving a slightly different twist to this thread.

I know that Rob likes to encourage a wide-ranging discussion on the threads that he initiates.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:46 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
My bottom line is simply this. If you ask a bunch of middle-aged/senior citizens who mostly have their own homes, good jobs, good retirement nest eggs and a sports car or two how the economy is doing, you are probably going to hear that it is doing well. But I wouldn't bank on it.
Couldn’t have spelled it out better myself.

Our own city/town isnt a proper representation of the country as a whole. Just talking to my friends over dinner, it becomes apparent to me often that the personal viewpoints they have in general about life, is based on the conditions of their more immediate environment and daily routine. I find that obnoxious at times when those opinions are so set firm, I cant help feel the need to remind them that they are living in a nice round bubble, which has little reflection of what reality really is. If you don’t care to understand and except the all encompassing reality which you aren’t a part of at the moment, that’s fine for you, but don’t fool yourself and others into thinking you’re not making that decision to put the blinders on.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:57 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Here's a real stretch... maybe some people have gotten the message that having lots of stuff isn't really all it's cracked up to be and maybe having experiences is more in vogue than having stuff.
Bingo. Not everyone has arrived here yet, but we should. If people could just turn off the TV’s long enough to alleviate their minds from the constant inundation of BS consumerism messages. Simply put, you just stated the claim between a booming economy and a sick/dying planet. Which is it going to be? Americans at 4% of the world population consume a quarter of the world’s resources and growing with population. This is our legacy? Not consuming means growth/economy suffers. It also means we balance preserve our resources to sustain more people.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:05 AM

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

Some say the glass is half full.
Some say the glass is half empty.
Some are just happy to have a glass at all.

And then there are some who look at it and contemplate the benefits of ice.

Quick Reply: The Economy