S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The economy in your neck of the woods

Old 12-03-2009, 08:00 AM

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,566 Posts

Kinda hard for me to tell, except for the commercial building in my area, which has been on hold. Lots of re/development postponed when financing went down the tubes. But the DC area is still about the strongest for jobs, which fuel the local economy. Home sales are doing OK, but certainly not at the same price level they were two/three years ago.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:10 AM

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,620 Posts

I did go out on Black Friday, (not at the crazy hours) and didn't have to fight any crowds. We don't go out to eat as often, when we do, it's mostly weekends, and the restaurants still seem busy, not so sure it's the same during the week. Lots of restaurants, local and chain are doing the two for one deals, or two meals for $20.00, trying to get the folks in.

We still have postponed any major purchases, and I guess others are still doing the same.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pittsburgh seemed to miss the brunt of the recession. Unemployment is lower than national and home sales are strong. Values on homes is still increasing, not as fast but at least not falling. Our entertainment business took a hit because of corporate cutbacks but our lighting business did great. All in all we ended about 6% higher than last year. If anyone is interested I was interviewed on the radio yesterday. You can hear it at www.kdkaradio.com. Click on my name in the right hand column.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jumpy Guy,Dec 3 2009, 01:08 PM
P. Our entertainment business took a hit because of corporate cutbacks but our lighting business did great. All in all we ended about 6% higher than last year. If anyone is interested I was interviewed on the radio yesterday. You can hear it at www.kdkaradio.com. Click on my name in the right hand column.
Maury.
on the donated decorating for those families.

Can you install our annual display?

Old 12-03-2009, 11:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

business is picking up a bit

we are getting our 401k match back and there are rumors of raises this year -
Old 12-03-2009, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Bass,Dec 3 2009, 03:04 PM
business is picking up a bit

we are getting our 401k match back and there are rumors of raises this year -
$$##%%.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Statewide in Ohio, the official unemployment rate is over 10%. Since Columbus is the state capital (bureaucrats, lobbyists, politicians, etc.) the unemployment rate in Central Ohio is lower.

My employer didn't cut anyone's hours, although people who wanted to volunteer for reduced hours were generally accommodated. The CEO has stated that they're trying to preserve a small budget for raises next year (2% average), but nothing is set in stone yet. They didn't take anything of importance away: we still get the 401(k) match, etc. They don't buy lunch for team meetings, and some other inconsequential things, but we largely dodged the bullet.

However, I have lunch regularly with an independent IT contractor who worked at the company for a couple of years; he just returned to work there after 6 months without a job. Capital project work went way down, and so did the number of contract employees.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:30 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

The unemployment rate in Kentucky is around 11%. I've noticed a drop in the number of people in the stores and hear that the majority of people are buying necessities and paying cash. My daughter's boyfriend said that he has to inform 20 of the people who work for him that they no longer have jobs in early 2010.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:21 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Just received a phone call from a friend of mind in Connecticut, whom I known for over 30 years. He received his layoff notice this morning. He had 36 years with the company and just purchased a new home 2 years ago, the value has dropped > $100K . He is married to a much younger woman and has two youngsters still in school. Obviously, he doesn't have a clue what to do next. He does have his pension, health insurance, and a severance package that will take him through next year, but he is in his 60's and his prospects for gainful employment are slim.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The illegal immigrants in SoCal are complaining because laid-off, white collar workers are taking their jobs.

I have noticed quite a few "non-immigrant" looking people using leaf blowers and lawn mowers these days.

Quick Reply: The economy in your neck of the woods