S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Energy saving light blubs

Old 03-11-2008, 08:37 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

CFL lights DO NOT like moist areas of the home, bathroom for instance.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lainey8484
So I won't glow from playing with mercury as a child. Dare I ask what I might expect?
Well, I'm not that kind of doctor, nor have I ever played one (although I tried when I was a kid, but she wasn't having any of that...).

Anyway, I've heard that it makes you short...

HPH
Old 03-11-2008, 09:06 AM

Received 2,531 Likes on 1,526 Posts

I have switch every lamp I could over and love it. The amount of mercury is extremely small. I played with more as a child and it didn't affect me. didn't affect me. didn't affect me. didn't affect me.

I have had no problems with them in the bathroom. In fact I have one directly over the shower.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:22 AM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

I have them everywhere that I don't I track lighting (which is a good bit of my house.)

I have three bulbs in my hall which have been up without any failures for ~13 years. I also do have them for my our entrance lights and in my bathrooms. In fact when I remodeled the master bath the fan light combo with is in the show uses CFLs (supplied by Panasonic-the manufacturer). In the case of the fan, the bulb is not a "screw-in" type.

I bought a number of "cases" of them ~5 years back. The local utility was subsidizing the cost. I bought them for ~1.50 each.

The rest of my house is lit by a combination of line voltage and low voltage halogens.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by martha,Mar 11 2008, 08:07 AM
We have them, but I've had the opposite results. They seem to burn out much faster -- and for some reason the ones that are "guaranteed" 5 yr or 7 yr or whatever seem to really burn out quickly. Maybe we're just jinxed. The worst however are the little halogen ones for the kitchen pendants. Those things burn out incredibly fast!
The small quartz or halogen high intensity bulbs get very hot and they are sensitive to contaminents on the envelope. Even the oil in your skin can cause them to fail sooner than normal. I use tissue or a paper towel to handle them. Light, clean cotten gloves would work too.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:48 AM

Received 3,514 Likes on 2,378 Posts

as the get a little older they will take a lot longer to turn on.
so stairways etc are not a good location for them.

there are three things to think about:
power or wattage, this is just how much electricity they use and how much heat they will dissipate. it is not an indication of how much light they actually produce.

lumens of output: this is the measure of how much light they actually produce, ie how bright they are.

lastly is color.
the color spectrum is the old roygbiv. red orange yellow etc.
lights have a mix of light. incandescents ( the old fashioned light bulbs) tend towards the yellow side of the range. the fluorescents tend towards the blue side of the spectrum, but they all have a mix. the really low power ones a very dull and blue. ( i hate 'em)
Old 03-11-2008, 10:23 AM

Received 2,766 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Originally Posted by DrCloud,Mar 11 2008, 12:52 PM

Anyway, I've heard that it makes you short...

HPH
That explains a lot!

I'm 5', my sister is 5', two of my sisters are 5'2" and one is almost 5'6". I guess she was the smart one who didn't play with the mercury.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:56 AM

I use them where I can. They don't sub for quite a few halogens we have nor numerous can lights on dimmer circuits. The one out by the garage has been in there for over 4 years.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:05 AM

We pay 25-cents per 18W bulb, subsidized by our local electric company. How much do the rest of you pay?

On another note, I've been told that one should not turn CFLs (or just florescent lights in general) OFF unless it has been ON for 15-minutes or longer. I have noticed that the florescent light in my closet, which I turn ON/OFF in a minute or two, does not last very long. Maybe I should change back to an incandescent bulb for the closet. Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 03-11-2008, 11:55 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

We have plenty of them, I've found that I've replaced some of the old 60's with 100's for more light.
Levi

Quick Reply: Energy saving light blubs