S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Equifax Security Breach

Old 09-10-2017, 12:27 PM

Received 151 Likes on 136 Posts

Since their website shows that I may have had my info spread around....

Tried to pull a credit report....

They want me to fill out a form, and send it via mail, along with a copy of my drivers license....

When I tried to request if thru one of the other majors... they declined to send it to me.

WTF??? (pardon my French!)
Old 09-10-2017, 03:47 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Recently had my CC compromised. When the bank sent the new one they also provided me, in another mailing, a passcode. They told me that online shopping sites and possibly other stores may request this passcode in order to make a purchase. Sounds like a good idea to me.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:51 AM

Received 1,402 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000
Since their website shows that I may have had my info spread around....

Tried to pull a credit report....

They want me to fill out a form, and send it via mail, along with a copy of my drivers license....

When I tried to request if thru one of the other majors... they declined to send it to me.

WTF??? (pardon my French!)
Did you go through this site? https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action You are entitled to 3 free credit reports per year by federal law.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:55 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jukngene
Did you go through this site? https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action You are entitled to 3 free credit reports per year by federal law.
I did that yesterday and two of the three want me to mail in a request. Must be something new with the recent breach. I've always been able to check all three online.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:11 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Conedodger
I did that yesterday and two of the three want me to mail in a request. Must be something new with the recent breach. I've always been able to check all three online.
I was able to download my credit report from Equifax yesterday morning [using the AnnualCreditReport website route] with no problems.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by trapper
I was able to download my credit report from Equifax yesterday morning [using the AnnualCreditReport website route] with no problems.
Did you check to see if you were one of the "affected" by the breach?
Old 09-11-2017, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by jukngene
Originally Posted by Conedodger
Yeppers, went thru that website .....
Must be something due to the breach.....
Old 09-11-2017, 06:36 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

I'd prolly keep an eye out on any unauthorized activity in bank accounts, for a good while --- like months.

A few years ago, I had my W2 Form stolen from USPS. Nothing seemed to happen, for quite some time (6 months). No false attempts to get my income tax refunds, no new credit cards, nothing big.

Then, in one weekend in July... 15 credit cards were started using my info. Over $15,000 overcharged to me, by new credit cards. All the charges seemed to be done online. Overseas. In Europe, Asia, Australia, etc. It took a month to clear all the mess up --- and ultimately, I owed no money or penalties, for overcharges --- but this one took the longest to finally clear. Looking 6 month back at every transaction... I found a couple that were odd. A few $$$, charged by some dubious retailers.

The ironic thing was, I had to file a report with local police. I asked the detective that took my report, how often does this happen? He told me, that HIS account was hacked, just a month before. And just like me, the guys were cleaver. One or two oddball charges. He said this is how they test whether the hack works and if you are watching your account. Then, in a very short time (esp on weekends) --- they will wring all they can with false credit cards and/or stolen real account information.

The cops found out, one employee at the Post Office was stealing W2 forms. USC has gone to online W2 info, since.

There are "Dark Websites" that post personal information. For $50 or $100, someone can get this information and use it. Once you've been hacked, this information can never be fully recovered and made safe.

Take home lesson... watch your bank statements for any oddball or unaccountable transactions.

Last edited by windhund116; 09-11-2017 at 06:43 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boltonblue
I think the ethics lawyer at Equifax should be drawn out and quartered.
A deliberately deceptive act like this might actually not stand up in court.
Bill could weigh in better.

This popped into my head...

Old 09-11-2017, 07:35 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by trapper
Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000
Did you check to see if you were one of the "affected" by the breach?
Yes.... I checked on Friday when Gene first started this thread. Their website said: "Maybe" so I signed up to enroll in their "free" service which I could do-and did do this morning.
I've also updated the fraud alerts available for our 3 credit cards and also the identity theft protection service which is available from Norton [Symantic] to which we subscribe.
I'm also considering paying the small fee and putting a freeze on our accounts at the three credit reporting services.

Quick Reply: Equifax Security Breach