S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Family History

Old 09-02-2005, 06:47 AM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts

I don't have much actual history. My family has some originations in Canada, mostly French Canadians.

Both my father and mother had grandparents who came here from Canada.

First pic is my father's family in 1946. Brothers, sisters and in-laws. My grandfather is in the middle. He had passed away the year I was born. My mother is the second row of ladies, in the left corner. Most of these people are now gone. My Mom, my two cousins on my grandfather's lap, and my aunt and uncle lower right are I think the only ones still with us.

The next pic is one of all my sibilings and me( 4 sisters and one brother) as well as all of my cousins (on my father's side). Only two were missing. One had passed away, the other couldn't be there.

The next is of Rick's parents in 1948 a few years after they married. She was also of Canadian ancestry, spent time living both there and here in her young days. Not sure of my father in law.

Old 09-02-2005, 07:26 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Glad you bumped this one up, Rob! I reread everything...lately I've been focusing on the +1's (Vito's) family history. His grandparents (on his father's side) came from Naples, Italy to Ellis Island. Not sure about his mother's side yet. I met lots of the family members last July in NJ, where they ended up after they moved out West (about 10 miles - ). I love looking at old pictures, too.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:12 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky,Sep 2 2005, 10:26 AM
.....I love looking at old pictures, too.
The frustrating thing is....old pictures that you know had some significance, but.....no living person can tell you who they are

I have all of the old family pics on my side of the family, and about 1/2 fall into this category....
Old 09-02-2005, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by paS2K,Sep 2 2005, 01:12 PM
The frustrating thing is....old pictures that you know had some significance, but.....no living person can tell you who they are

I have all of the old family pics on my side of the family, and about 1/2 fall into this category....
My Dad was always one to identify the folks in pics. He had things labeled, in albums etc.

I do the same. I still print up pics and write on the back who they are, where taken, etc..

They aren't old pics yet, but will be some day.

I even have a lovely photo album of places we've gone and people we've met in our travels with our S2K. Jerry, you're in there too!
Old 09-02-2005, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grandparents lived in Minsk Russia. In about 1901, due to the pogroms going on, my grandfather felt it was time to leave. He left his family in Minsk and walked about 1000 miles to Rotterdam took the Valtuna to Ellis Island in NY. Started up a wet laundry business. A few years later he sent for my grandmother, father, uncles and aunt. They all took the same route. (I could not imagine taking a family on that kind of trek when the oldest was about 6 and the youngest was still in diapers).
They did change our last name from the Russian to a more English pronunciation. As a result everyone with our last name is related. It may be tough to find the connection but we have always been able to find some common relative.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:52 AM

I'm resurrecting this one, because I found one of the +1's probable relatives today and it's an interesting story. I won't post the last name for privacy reasons, but last night, he was online looking up his last name to see what popped up. Well, the name of a microbiologist popped up in a scientific article, and he said it was interesting that this guy had the microbiology connection (the +1 got his undergrad degree in microbiology). He wasn't going to do anything about it, but I decided to.

This morning, I figured out what this guy's email might be from another author's name on the article. So I tried it and it worked! I was not sure he was at this company (in CA), because he also has an affiliation with the University of Rosario, in Argentina. (The Rosario connection is interesting, also - my ex has a niece and nephew there. He grew up in Argentina. Strange, huh...) Anywho, about an hour after I sent the email, the guy responded! Turns out he was born in Rosario, and his great grandparents went to Argentina in 1901 from Naples, the same city where the +1's grandparents came from (to Ellis Island) about 1910. He got his PhD in microbiology there and moved to the States three years ago. He is traveling back to Argentina in December and plans to ask his father for the names of all his relatives. Pretty ...the power of the Internet is amazing. I sent this guy's email to the +1 and he was VERY surprised!!
Old 10-26-2006, 09:00 AM

Neat work, Deb!
Old 10-26-2006, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky,Oct 26 2006, 09:52 AM
but last night, he was online looking up his last name to see what popped up.
It must be nice to have a name that is distinctive enough to do a search. Googling my last name gets 234,000,000 hits.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:34 AM

Yes, there are advantages to having a distinctive last name. We are finding out other strange coincidences about this connection. The +1's niece is married and living in CA. Her hubby shares the same first name as the guy I contacted. And her hubby's parents are from Argentina. It's like one giant circle. Really, really interesting...
Old 10-26-2006, 11:45 AM

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I have traced my paternal tree about 9 generations and I am still working on it. For now,I'll share a few pictures.

This is a picture of my grandparents with my grandfather holding my dad and my grandmother holding his younger brother. The picture was taken around 1914.

Next is a family picture of my grandmothers family My grandmother is the second from the right. My grandfather is seated. I always wondered why grandmothers sister was gettin chummy with grandad. That picture was taken around 1905.

Me and my dad about a year before he passed.

More to come.

Quick Reply: Family History