S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

A favor to ask.

Old 03-16-2018, 06:29 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Mike, I'll sign it but it seems you need local signatures and support. If you don't know him already, you should talk with Mitch Roffer. I've met him at fishing shows and I'm a friend of his on Facebook. He posts about Indian River and its condition all the time, He is a Ph.D, still teaches at the Florida Institute of Technology and owns Roff's fishing forecast services. I'm sure he can give you a lot more help and guidance on this than we can with signatures on a petition. Forgive me if you are already involved with him.

https://www.roffs.com/

https://twitter.com/mitchroffer?lang=en

https://www.linkedin.com/in/mitchell-roffer-37987a1/
Old 03-16-2018, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Bill, I got both my FL Senate and House representatives involved, and they got the water management district to agree to delay the sale if the County Commission will send them a letter agreeing to put it on the agenda for the County to take over the property. The county is leery because the guy who has spent the past 6 years trying to get control of this property is an enormous pain in the ass and also quite wealthy.
One of the Commissioners agreed yesterday to draft the necessary letter. So I am waiting on it to get sent today.
More signatures are still helpful, as I will have to convince the full Commission in April to agree to take over the property.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:06 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainMike
Thanks Bill, I got both my FL Senate and House representatives involved, and they got the water management district to agree to delay the sale if the County Commission will send them a letter agreeing to put it on the agenda for the County to take over the property. The county is leery because the guy who has spent the past 6 years trying to get control of this property is an enormous pain in the ass and also quite wealthy.
One of the Commissioners agreed yesterday to draft the necessary letter. So I am waiting on it to get sent today.
More signatures are still helpful, as I will have to convince the full Commission in April to agree to take over the property.
Looks like you are moving on many fronts and have the situation well in hand. I notified Mitch about this. Maybe he will share this with his group of contacts as well. I have to believe that the local politicians will take more notice of local signatures and support.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:17 PM

Thanks Bill, and everyone who signed, we are on the agenda for the next County Commission on Tuesday. If anyone else feels like signing I'll be entering the Petition into the minutes on Tuesday.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:24 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I signed, if it will be of any help. I agree, more local signatures would probably carry more weight.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:37 PM

We went before the Brevard County Commission today. The St Johns River Water Management District had agreed to delay the sale until after the County meeting. We had 13 speakers recommend the county take the property for FREE. No speakers argued against the county taking the property.

The county commission refused and voted 5-0 against the public.

The last public access to the St Sebastian River is no more, it is now private property belonging to the wealthy jerk at the end of the street.

It certainly looked like the decision had been made before the first speaker ever took the podium.

Sincere Thanks to everyone who wrote or signed my petition.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:43 PM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

Mike, sorry for the ending. I've been through a similar local fight and was told (on the side by one on the board) I made the best presentation the board had ever seen but I didn't stand a chance from the get-go. As always (or most of the time) money and power win over the folks who have neither.