S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

favorite coffee beans

 
Old 05-06-2019, 03:31 AM
  #21  
 
jukngene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Delawhere???
Posts: 11,675
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by skunkworks View Post
For me, my wife, and several of our guests it's "Peet's Major Dickason's Blend" finished with a medium grind.
Gary, we used to get shipments of Major Dickason's direct from Peets until I discovered their House Blend at Sam's Club. The taste is similar, but the savings are substantial! I'll take the cash.
jukngene is offline  
Old 05-06-2019, 07:23 AM
  #22  
 
Zippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: West Deptford NJ
Posts: 9,113
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default

We, too, are espresso folks. We have two Gaggia Platinums (long discontinued). We have a local roaster that produces great beans and our favorite. Breakneck Espresso 1/2 lb - Crescent Moon Coffee and Tea
Zippy is offline  
Old 05-06-2019, 07:46 AM
  #23  
 
zeroptzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Out There
Posts: 14,947
Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by reversible View Post
Oh that's fantastic, classic lever machines are a pleasure even if just to look at! I'm thinking about picking up the new school manual lever Flair for the occasional espresso fix.

Ah that could be annoying. Where are you located? I'm sure there's a local roaster with something comparable where you are.
very cool machine on the Flair lever.

The best beans in our area come from the Toronto region, about 2 hours from me, I live a in a smaller city and I am not fond of the local roasters, so I am always looking for different beans to test out. Freshness is key for expresso machines, you need it roasted and shipped fast.
zeroptzero is offline  
Old 05-06-2019, 07:49 AM
  #24  
 
zeroptzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Out There
Posts: 14,947
Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
We, too, are espresso folks. We have two Gaggia Platinums (long discontinued). We have a local roaster that produces great beans and our favorite. Breakneck Espresso 1/2 lb - Crescent Moon Coffee and Tea
Of the super automatic machines the platinums are very nice, great setup to have at home, and two is always better than one, lol.
zeroptzero is offline  
Old 05-07-2019, 05:00 AM
  #25  
 
Zippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: West Deptford NJ
Posts: 9,113
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by zeroptzero View Post
Of the super automatic machines the platinums are very nice, great setup to have at home, and two is always better than one, lol.
I do love my Gaggia's. We have a beach house for the second, which was the first once....
Zippy is offline  
Old 05-07-2019, 03:35 PM
  #26  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 53
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
We, too, are espresso folks. We have two Gaggia Platinums (long discontinued). We have a local roaster that produces great beans and our favorite. Breakneck Espresso 1/2 lb - Crescent Moon Coffee and Tea
Two! That's fantastic
Originally Posted by zeroptzero View Post
The best beans in our area come from the Toronto region, about 2 hours from me, I live a in a smaller city and I am not fond of the local roasters, so I am always looking for different beans to test out. Freshness is key for expresso machines, you need it roasted and shipped fast.
Ah I see - I hear The Library is likely the best in Toronto, and Boxcar Social is a nice multiroaster with multiple locations. I used to think Pilot was pretty good but apparently they're slipping. I'll probably stop by The Library next time I'm up there to see if it's that good.

I was under the impression that darker roasts had a longer shelf life, but I'd also heard the oils from a darker roast also make them go rancid faster. How long do yours last? I feel like my light roasts lose their luster after about two months.
reversible is offline  
Old 05-07-2019, 03:52 PM
  #27  
 
NNY S2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Plattsburgh, NY
Posts: 23,346
Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts
Default

I'm not pickey, I usually just get Folgers, Maxwell House or Members Mark from Sams when I'm low. Like others I only have it first thing in the morning.
Levi
NNY S2k is online now  
Old 05-07-2019, 04:10 PM
  #28  
 
Emil St-Hilaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: St-Redempteur,Qc.
Posts: 17,112
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by NNY S2k View Post
I'm not pickey, I usually just get Folgers, Maxwell House or Members Mark from Sams when I'm low. Like others I only have it first thing in the morning.
Levi
Levi,you should try it,with Cognac,and wiped cream...
Emil St-Hilaire is online now  
Old 05-07-2019, 04:25 PM
  #29  
 
NNY S2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Plattsburgh, NY
Posts: 23,346
Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts
Default

If I did that Emil I'd have to go back to bed!
Levi
NNY S2k is online now  
Old 05-07-2019, 04:39 PM
  #30  
 
zeroptzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Out There
Posts: 14,947
Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by reversible View Post
Two! That's fantastic

Ah I see - I hear The Library is likely the best in Toronto, and Boxcar Social is a nice multiroaster with multiple locations. I used to think Pilot was pretty good but apparently they're slipping. I'll probably stop by The Library next time I'm up there to see if it's that good.

I was under the impression that darker roasts had a longer shelf life, but I'd also heard the oils from a darker roast also make them go rancid faster. How long do yours last? I feel like my light roasts lose their luster after about two months.
Hey I will look those up next time I am there, thanks for the tip. Toronto has many choices for sure. Our friends live in Liberty Village so we tend to grab beans from Balzacs which is close by, there was a cool place in the Kensington market but it closed down/got sold.

Freshness is paramount with espresso machines for the production of crema, so I buy beans in one pound packs, and I keep them in air tight containers once I get home. I almost never have them in my house for more than a month , usually 2-3 weeks. I have never frozen beans though I heard it might help preserve freshness, but you have to deal with condensation when moved to room temperature and you don't want watery beans. I think oily beans can develop a bad taste if kept too long. I don't use light roasts either, I find a medium roast is best for me, as the oil is kept in the bean and comes out during extraction, too light of a roast might not develop enough useable oil.
zeroptzero is offline  

Quick Reply: favorite coffee beans


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands