S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

favorite coffee beans

Old 05-06-2019, 03:31 AM

Received 1,412 Likes on 766 Posts

Originally Posted by skunkworks
For me, my wife, and several of our guests it's "Peet's Major Dickason's Blend" finished with a medium grind.
Gary, we used to get shipments of Major Dickason's direct from Peets until I discovered their House Blend at Sam's Club. The taste is similar, but the savings are substantial! I'll take the cash.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:23 AM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

We, too, are espresso folks. We have two Gaggia Platinums (long discontinued). We have a local roaster that produces great beans and our favorite. Breakneck Espresso 1/2 lb - Crescent Moon Coffee and Tea
Old 05-06-2019, 07:46 AM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Originally Posted by reversible
Oh that's fantastic, classic lever machines are a pleasure even if just to look at! I'm thinking about picking up the new school manual lever Flair for the occasional espresso fix.

Ah that could be annoying. Where are you located? I'm sure there's a local roaster with something comparable where you are.
very cool machine on the Flair lever.

The best beans in our area come from the Toronto region, about 2 hours from me, I live a in a smaller city and I am not fond of the local roasters, so I am always looking for different beans to test out. Freshness is key for expresso machines, you need it roasted and shipped fast.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Zippy
We, too, are espresso folks. We have two Gaggia Platinums (long discontinued). We have a local roaster that produces great beans and our favorite. Breakneck Espresso 1/2 lb - Crescent Moon Coffee and Tea
Of the super automatic machines the platinums are very nice, great setup to have at home, and two is always better than one, lol.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:00 AM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Of the super automatic machines the platinums are very nice, great setup to have at home, and two is always better than one, lol.
I do love my Gaggia's. We have a beach house for the second, which was the first once....
Old 05-07-2019, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zippy
Two! That's fantastic
Originally Posted by zeroptzero
The best beans in our area come from the Toronto region, about 2 hours from me, I live a in a smaller city and I am not fond of the local roasters, so I am always looking for different beans to test out. Freshness is key for expresso machines, you need it roasted and shipped fast.
Ah I see - I hear The Library is likely the best in Toronto, and Boxcar Social is a nice multiroaster with multiple locations. I used to think Pilot was pretty good but apparently they're slipping. I'll probably stop by The Library next time I'm up there to see if it's that good.

I was under the impression that darker roasts had a longer shelf life, but I'd also heard the oils from a darker roast also make them go rancid faster. How long do yours last? I feel like my light roasts lose their luster after about two months.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:52 PM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

I'm not pickey, I usually just get Folgers, Maxwell House or Members Mark from Sams when I'm low. Like others I only have it first thing in the morning.
Levi
Old 05-07-2019, 04:10 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
I'm not pickey, I usually just get Folgers, Maxwell House or Members Mark from Sams when I'm low. Like others I only have it first thing in the morning.
Levi
Levi,you should try it,with Cognac,and wiped cream...
Old 05-07-2019, 04:25 PM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

If I did that Emil I'd have to go back to bed!
Levi
Old 05-07-2019, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by reversible
Two! That's fantastic

Ah I see - I hear The Library is likely the best in Toronto, and Boxcar Social is a nice multiroaster with multiple locations. I used to think Pilot was pretty good but apparently they're slipping. I'll probably stop by The Library next time I'm up there to see if it's that good.

I was under the impression that darker roasts had a longer shelf life, but I'd also heard the oils from a darker roast also make them go rancid faster. How long do yours last? I feel like my light roasts lose their luster after about two months.
Hey I will look those up next time I am there, thanks for the tip. Toronto has many choices for sure. Our friends live in Liberty Village so we tend to grab beans from Balzacs which is close by, there was a cool place in the Kensington market but it closed down/got sold.

Freshness is paramount with espresso machines for the production of crema, so I buy beans in one pound packs, and I keep them in air tight containers once I get home. I almost never have them in my house for more than a month , usually 2-3 weeks. I have never frozen beans though I heard it might help preserve freshness, but you have to deal with condensation when moved to room temperature and you don't want watery beans. I think oily beans can develop a bad taste if kept too long. I don't use light roasts either, I find a medium roast is best for me, as the oil is kept in the bean and comes out during extraction, too light of a roast might not develop enough useable oil.

Quick Reply: favorite coffee beans