S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Feeding the Birds

Old 11-24-2016, 09:02 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice pic's, Lainey! You have a lot more diversity than what I have. What is the bottom left bird?

How does one shrink the size and make collages of the pic's posted?

Gary
Old 11-24-2016, 09:13 AM

Received 2,746 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Bottom left is a plump tufted titmouse.
Here's a shot of him at the feeder today.
This pics are displaying very large! Not sure how to have the pics here display smaller.... I made the collage in Google Picasa.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:31 AM

Received 912 Likes on 539 Posts

Lainey, I love your collage!

And, this picture of the plump tufted titmouse, with the big seed in his mouth.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:05 AM

Thanks, Sue. I have a feeder right near a neighbor's tree and the birds were VERY active this AM. It's hard to get a decent shot, you aim, and just when you are ready to push that shutter button, they fly away.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:59 AM

A neighbor spoke to me yesterday about the number of squirrels and crows that I’ve attracted into the area. The neighbor claimed some damage has occurred to their home due to squirrel activities and also being annoyed by the harsh cawing sounds throughout the day…I agreed to discourage their presence. Did this by emptying and leaf-blowing out my feeders and covering them with trash bags. Also and drained the bird bath and no more early A.M. peanut distributions to discourage the squirrel’s habitat.

From my viewings today it’s sad to see the number of smaller birds diverting their flight when they realize the feeders and water are no longer available, but along with my neighbor I won’t miss the destructive squirrels and the consistent cawing. My squirrels have the ability jump 10 feet from a tree and land upon the feeders — post mounted squirrel guards have been ineffective.

Gary
Old 12-04-2016, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by skunkworks
A neighbor spoke to me yesterday about the number of squirrels and crows that I’ve attracted into the area. The neighbor claimed some damage has occurred to their home due to squirrel activities and also being annoyed by the harsh cawing sounds throughout the day…I agreed to discourage their presence. Did this by emptying and leaf-blowing out my feeders and covering them with trash bags. Also and drained the bird bath and no more early A.M. peanut distributions to discourage the squirrel’s habitat.

From my viewings today it’s sad to see the number of smaller birds diverting their flight when they realize the feeders and water are no longer available, but along with my neighbor I won’t miss the destructive squirrels and the consistent cawing. My squirrels have the ability jump 10 feet from a tree and land upon the feeders — post mounted squirrel guards have been ineffective.

Gary
Well that's lousy. My spring loaded feeders do keep the squirrels out. I don't have an issue with crows though they are in the woods across the street. I wonder if there is something in particular you can do to discourage them. Maybe once the squirrels realize the peanuts aren't coming, you could try a small feeder for the birds.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:01 PM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

The neighbor claimed some damage has occurred to their home due to squirrel activities
I would like to hear what the damage is; we have had dozens of squirrel's in our yard for 33 years and I have never seen them damage a single thing!

............ and also being annoyed by the harsh cawing sounds throughout the day…I agreed to discourage their presence.
We have crows too - every day but they don't make any noise; they just eat.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:04 AM

My neighbor is probably much closer in proximity than yours, Dave, which may be the problem. Anyway, my neighbor stated that the squirrels had eaten a portion of their decorative attic vent in order to gain access. I didn't look at the damage, but if it's anything like the damage they do to my feeders it may be true.

Wanna hear crows caw? Come to my house near sunrise when they are expecting their food to be delivered and to inform their kin of what's happening. I believe it's more of the crow's cawing in the early morning hours rather than a day-long noise that's the source of the irritation. Outside of the morning hours they make no noise.

It hurts to see the birds go without, and I may open up the feeders during and following tomorrows anticipated snow fall.

Gary
Old 12-05-2016, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by skunkworks
My neighbor is probably much closer in proximity than yours, Dave, which may be the problem. Anyway, my neighbor stated that the squirrels had eaten a portion of their decorative attic vent in order to gain access. I didn't look at the damage, but if it's anything like the damage they do to my feeders it may be true.

Wanna hear crows caw? Come to my house near sunrise when they are expecting their food to be delivered and to inform their kin of what's happening. I believe it's more of the crow's cawing in the early morning hours rather than a day-long noise that's the source of the irritation. Outside of the morning hours they make no noise.

It hurts to see the birds go without, and I may open up the feeders during and following tomorrows anticipated snow fall.

Gary
If you skip putting out the peanuts for the squirrels and try the squirrel proof feeder maybe that would help. Found this on line too:: To get rid of them, (Crows) supply food they won't eat. To feed finches, fill hanging tube feeders with only nyjer seed (thistle). For cardinals, chickadees and nuthatches, provide safflower seed in hopper or tray feeders. If you do this, grackles, crows and blackbirds generally will look elsewhere for the foods they like.

I also don't toss any bread out on the grass....

Your birds need you, Gary!
Old 12-05-2016, 01:06 PM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

I am still puzzled by the squirrels unless they are red squirrels. We have grays, blacks, and reds. I know red's can do damage but ours never have. As for crows, although they show up every day we don't hear them. Perhaps its because their nests are at least 50 yards away and really high up.

Quick Reply: Feeding the Birds