S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Feeding the birds

Old 03-29-2011, 05:35 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts
Default Feeding the birds

Now that we have an indoor kitty vs an indoor/outdoor kitty, Rick wants to feed the birds. Previously we didn't feel it was right to invite birds into our yard with a cat lurking about.

We bought a bird feeder, some feed, some suet and a little suet cage, and another type of seed that goes in a little mesh bag. Thistle?

We don't have trees in the yard, but we have shrubs that surround the yard and birds make their nests in there. This morning there were already birds at the feeders.

Mostly these (wrens I think)

The official bird of MA is the black capped chickadee. Not sure if we've ever seen one in the yard

We also get cardinals and sometimes a yellow finch. The feed we bought is supposed to be for the finches, cardinals and other birds. I know we should also give the birds a source of water/bird bath.

I ordered a book on the birds of MA so we might know what we are seeing at the feeders, but wondered if any of you who feed the birds have any helpful tips for us.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:24 AM

Received 705 Likes on 432 Posts

The seed that goes in the sock type feeder is Niger seed and it may take a little while, but you'll really enjoy the bright yellow American Goldfinches that LOVE that stuff. They hang upside down and dozens will be hanging off it at one time. They migrate north from the south and most of them have left this area, so I assume they'll be on their way up to you anytime now. The black capped chickadee is one of my all-time favorites. They'll sit within a foot or two of your face waiting for you to fill the feeder. They become remarkably tame and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE blackoil sunflower seed. I love the little wrens and chickadees more than just about any birds I have. If you get starlings or grackles, just switch over to the Niger seed or the blackoil sunflower seed and they'll leave. Happy birding. It is a hobby that brings me hours of pleasure. I love waking up in the morning to the sound of birdsong. You will not be able to attract many birds as long as any cats lurk nearby. I am sad to say as much as I would like to be friendly with the beautiful cats around here I have to admire them from afar.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:51 AM

Received 151 Likes on 136 Posts

Along with the sunflower seeds, thistle seed, suet cakes we also put out unsalted peanuts in the shell. Blue Jays and squirrels love them!

If we don't put the peanuts out bright and early, the Blue Jays make so much racket its crazy!

We also have a good sized Coopers Hawk that likes to dine in our yard! We lure the birds in to eat, and he stops by and haves lunch!

Also get a couple of Downy, Red Headed and Red Bellied Woodpeckers, and occasionally a Flicker will stop by!

Its always funny to watch the birds take a bath in the birdbath also!

Yes, we love our birds!
Old 03-29-2011, 06:51 AM

Thanks, Val. I hoped you would chime in, as you have mentioned doing some bird watching at your home.

We still have a couple neighborhood cats, but they aren't around as often, now that we no longer have an outside cat.

We have fewer trees in our neighborhood than in years gone by. Our neighbor just had two taken down due to disease, but I'm hoping the birds have other places (like our shrubs) to nest, so that they will visit our yard. Hopefully, we'll have many guests at the feeders, and keep the starlings and grackles away. They aren't cute enough to watch.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:53 AM

Love to drive, what area do you live in?
Old 03-29-2011, 07:09 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Do yourself a favor and get a caged suet feeder. Keeps the big birds out, so it lasts longer. The woodpeckers and chickadees will love you for it.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:11 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

We get Baltimore Orioles. They love fresh fruit and Hummingbird necter. I'll put half an orange on a stick and feed it into the chain links of my pool fence. They sit on the top rail of the fence and eat the orange.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey
Love to drive, what area do you live in?
Just outside of Cincinnati, Oh....
Old 03-29-2011, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Conedodger
Do yourself a favor and get a caged suet feeder. Keeps the big birds out, so it lasts longer. The woodpeckers and chickadees will love you for it.
We actually just have a cheap wire mesh one.... but instead of it hanging vertically, I wired it up so it lays horizontal. then I leave the suet cake in the plastic tray and face the plastic up. This prevents almost all birds but the woodpeckers from getting to it!
Old 03-29-2011, 07:27 AM

Thanks for the tip on the suet too!

We get hummingbirds but I'm not sure if the Orioles stop in Red Sox country.

Appreciate the posts. I think dlq/Dave feeds the birds too. If I remember correctly he had pics of a blue bird last year.

Quick Reply: Feeding the birds