S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Vintage Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/)
-   -   Finally got my S back! (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/finally-got-my-s-back-326738/)

S1997 10-04-2005 05:14 PM

Finally got my S back!

:hello: I am so happy. Honda just fixed my car -- It's a 2000 and has about 43,000 miles on the tach -- no extended warranty. It had been running/idling roughly and dying on occasion when the air conditioner was on. I had tried the usual remedies with no successs, and finally Russell Smith Honda of Houston replaced the idle control system for about five hundred dollars. But the problem never really went away, and driving the car was no longer as pleasant as before.
Working with Honda on the phone, the mechanic finally discovered that the problem involved eight bent valves. Since there was no history or evidence of abuse, Honda decided to foot most of the bill for fixing the motor (almost $2000). The dealer even refunded the money I had paid for the idling unit that the car apparently didn't need. After about two or three weeks I finally got the car back today.
This leads me to be even happier with Honda than before. Not only do we have a very sweeet engine, but the company stands behind them. Maybe not in all cases, but I thought you might like to know about this one.
:thumbup:

Legal Bill 10-04-2005 05:21 PM

Just curious, were the bent valves all intake, all exhaust, or some combination?

S1997 10-04-2005 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Oct 4 2005, 07:21 PM
Just curious, were the bent valves all intake, all exhaust, or some combination?

Four of each, Bill. I didn't get to speak to the rep when I picked it up, so I didn't get all of the details. Not sure how the damage happened. The car has been on the track several times, but not over-reved. I sometimes think the only over-reving that happens to many of these cars is by the service guys who take them out for a checkup drive at servicing. :)

Legal Bill 10-04-2005 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by S1997,Oct 4 2005, 09:26 PM
Four of each, Bill. I didn't get to speak to the rep when I picked it up, so I didn't get all of the details. Not sure how the damage happened. The car has been on the track several times, but not over-reved. I sometimes think the only over-reving that happens to many of these cars is by the service guys who take them out for a checkup drive at servicing. :)

I've heard this story so many times with this engine that it does concern me. Usually Honda just claims it was overreved and denies the claim. Here, they seem to have gone out of their way to cover it. I wish I knew why there is such difference in the treatment of customers for the same problem.

Anyway, I'm very happy for you. Congrats and welcome back to the road.

ralper 10-04-2005 05:46 PM

I am very glad to hear that Honda stood behind the car without any arguments. Too many times I've read about these problems (in S2000Talk and elsewhere) and have heard that Honda refused to acknowledge responsibility.

I'm glad you got the car back.

MsPerky 10-04-2005 06:06 PM

Yes, congrats...I had a very good experience with my short-block replacement, but others weren't so lucky. :thumbup:

Filthy Beast 10-04-2005 06:17 PM

It all depends on the dealership and the service manager.

valentine 10-05-2005 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by FILTHY BEAST,Oct 4 2005, 10:17 PM
It all depends on the dealership and the service manager.

:iagree: Glad you're up and running :)

Dex9 10-05-2005 07:49 AM

Big question is how were you able to convince them that there was no abuse? (Especially if the car has been tracked).

Lainey 10-05-2005 10:17 AM

Jim,

Glad it worked out for you.

Hope you are feeling well and manage plenty of time behind the wheel.