S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Foods you love to cook and/or eat

Old 12-29-2012, 06:33 PM

Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

The Plant Pixie used to make "killer" Kung Pao Chicken, but lately I have not convinced her to get the wok out of the closet for quite a while. Although, lately she has been making some good "four burner" turkey chili. The last batch was right at the threshold of being too hot for my taste.

I enjoy cooking and eating omelets. But, one of our favorites is smoked salmon, with cream cheese, capers on bagels. I am referring to good New York style bagels unlike the bread like ones that Costco pawns off as bagels (IMHO). Of course living in Northern Virginia true New York style bagels are fairly hard to come by.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:48 AM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,565 Posts

Well, the chicken soup was a major success. Batting 1000 so far. Navy bean is up next. Leaning toward chicken tetrazzini with the leftover chicken. Yum...today is the Eastern NC coleslaw day. Looking forward to that! It's been sitting in the fridge getting better overnight.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:57 AM

Received 705 Likes on 432 Posts

Sounds great, MsP. Sounds like you're honing your skills.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:13 AM

PS. I'm thinking that sometime soon I'll try that coleslaw recipe you posted. I LOOOOOVVVVE good coleslaw!
Old 12-30-2012, 04:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by valentine
I'm fixing roasted salmon with peach chutney and crumbled pecans along with green peas and a spinach salad topped with goat cheese and raspberry dressing. I'm hungry.

Do you make your own chutney?
Old 12-30-2012, 04:40 AM

^^ I have made, PP, but here we have so many more food shops that offer the old fashioned style chutney so I buy it. Kudzu Bakery has the best mango chutney and peach chutney I've ever eaten! I can get Major Grey's at Fresh Market, so I just keep a jar of each on hand. I use a couple of tblspoons of Major Grey's mango chutney when I make meatloaf. It certainly vanquishes the bland flavor or overwhelming tomato flavor from the meatloaf. Instead of tomato sauce or catsup in my meatloaf I use chili sauce for a little added oomph.

I just get very sick and tired of the same ole food! We tend to end up eating the same stuff day after day and I would love to kick it up a notch. I'm particularly sick of breakfast food. Sometimes I'd rather have spaghetti or pizza or something like that and if I happen to have leftovers, I'll eat one of those for breakfast. I cannot seem to find a cereal I particularly enjoy. I'm sick of oatmeal, irish oatmeal, regular oatmeal, flavored oatmeals, cream of wheat, pancakes, waffles, blech. I don't want to make omelets every single freaking day and I'm just weary of breakfast foods.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:09 AM

Received 3,499 Likes on 2,366 Posts

So speaking of food, has anyone tried ponzu sauce?
Old 12-30-2012, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like baking different breads but I have to be in the mood and lately I haven't been. Grilling and smoking are really my better skills. For New Year's in addition to the usual dry rubbed pork I'm smoking a bacon wrapped pork loin with a honey mustard basil marinade. It's sitting in the fridge and will stay there until Tuesday morning.

I hope it's as tasty as I think it's going to be.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:55 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

My Mom taught me to cook, learned by watching and helping. The +1 is better at it, but I can follow a recipe and make most things. My Uncle made a cookbook out of his favorite recipes and gave it to me, and I like to discover different foods he liked. Last week we had friends over and I made crab dip. One lady was amazed that I had made it. Her husband must not come into the kitchen except to eat.

Later today I'm going to make some hot cheese dip to snack on while I watch the 49er game. Yum.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:29 AM

I made some potato salad last night and we had a little of that with paninis that consisted of turkey, swiss and a little cranberry chutney. Very good. I'd just about forgotten about my little griddler until MsP mentioned using hers. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Foods you love to cook and/or eat