S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Ford kills sedans

Old 04-27-2018, 06:41 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

Congrats! Great choice! I hope you are enjoying it.
The following users liked this post:
sam_spider (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 07:22 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,598 Likes on 1,908 Posts

Thanks, I am very much so. I got the normal Ti AWD one, but 280hp is just fine for me.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:18 AM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

We were discussing the lack of sales for the Accord, the lack of sales for all sedans is the real issue. CUVs, SUVs, and "lifestyle" pickups are new sedans.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:19 AM

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Here in the Detroit area we've known for a long time that was coming. When total US car sales are dropping at a rate of something like 1.5M per year as people move to trucks/suv's, it was just a matter of time. The same major swing has begun in Europe as well. When Honda can not sell the best Honda Accord ever - its clearly evident that people want something else. I know not everyone wants a beefy pickup or SUV with interior room comparable to a New York studio apartment, but the biggest car benefit - fuel economy - has been lost as they are now very comparable. And people now place greater value on space and utility.

You only have to ask yourself, when was the last time you got excited about a new car - - that wasn't a sports car?
Last thing first: I get excited about nearly every car. I still find cars, car culture, and the ability to put a thing together with that many parts interesting, if not fascinating. I'm not a standard Norman Rockwell American guy by most means, but I still get excited about road trips, and still view my car or my mini-Ute as my tool to seemingly unending adventure across this continent: I still have that American Romantic notion of The Open Road.

I say all of that, because I know that there are people my age and younger that definitely DO NOT hold that view. Why go anywhere, when it's all in your phone? A car is an appliance to get you to a job because public transit might not get you there. A car is an appliance to get your stuff to that adventure sport location you enjoy. A car is also a responsibility and an expense; so why on earth would I shell out money to own something I don't use 24/7? At the very least, why would I invest in an appliance that eats dead dinosaur product, when I just need the electric appliance for my day-to-day transportation?

Fordism is driving itself to a ledge, and The Ford Motor Company sees that. I applaud them for ripping the Band-Aid, and eating the poop sandwich to right-size the company for what's next.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:37 AM

Received 4,953 Likes on 3,004 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
Thanks, I am very much so. I got the normal Ti AWD one, but 280hp is just fine for me.
Does the handling live up to the hype? I listened to a Company employee - I don't recall his area (engineering, design, sales, whatever) but he kept saying over and over people had to drive it to appreciate it. Is yours a manual?
Old 04-27-2018, 09:46 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,598 Likes on 1,908 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Does the handling live up to the hype? I listened to a Company employee - I don't recall his area (engineering, design, sales, whatever) but he kept saying over and over people had to drive it to appreciate it. Is yours a manual?
It truly lives up to the hype. I've owned a lot of cars, and although the Giulia is not the most powerful, it definitely handles better than all of them. It is a car you have to drive to appreciate.

They only offer it in auto here in the States, but as it's a daily I'm okay with that, plus it shifts fairly rapid and the paddles keep you involved. I still have the S when I need my manual fix.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:09 PM

Received 4,953 Likes on 3,004 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
It truly lives up to the hype. I've owned a lot of cars, and although the Giulia is not the most powerful, it definitely handles better than all of them. It is a car you have to drive to appreciate.

They only offer it in auto here in the States, but as it's a daily I'm okay with that, plus it shifts fairly rapid and the paddles keep you involved. I still have the S when I need my manual fix.
Good to hear. I'm sure paddles will never be in MY future... thanks to arthritis; hell, I have issues with Krylon spray paint cans - - I can't get the damn caps off.

Last edited by dlq04; 04-27-2018 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:23 AM

Received 705 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire

Cougars...??? Those were Mercury...not Ford ???
Old 04-28-2018, 05:26 AM

Received 705 Likes on 477 Posts

Having never owned a Ford I could care less. Although i did like the Taurus SHO and my Dads Torino.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:39 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm too lazy to research all of this, but I wonder what they are doing in Europe. I have to imagine the small Fords will continue in those markets, and if so, it should not be too hard to reintroduce them to the US if preferences change.

Quick Reply: Ford kills sedans