S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Fought my speeding ticket. What would you have done?

Old 10-27-2003, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fought my speeding ticket. What would you have done?

Last June I was stopped and given my first speeding ticket in the S2000 in the 3 1/2 years I've owned it. In fact it's the first time I've been stopped in over 14 years. The officer said he clocked me at 52 in a 35 with his laser gun. Rural street with almost no traffic. I remembered seeing the cruiser and looking down at my speedometer and it said 43. I know I couldn't prove it, but following advice of many on this board, I asked for a hearing.

Well today was the hearing. Mr. Officer gave his account first, including calibration of the laser gun before and after his shift and all the little details that go along. Then he said he targetted my front license plate to get the reading. I didn't have my front plate on at the time. So I'm thinking, should I dispute his account and maybe the judge would throw it out? Or maybe the judge would still give me the fine and add on a no front plate fine?

I didn't mention the plate, gave my weak 43 mpg reason and she found for the court. What would you have done? I'm glad it's over, but I'm still not sure if I did the right thing.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:43 AM

Hmmm, would you have been fined less if you had been doing 43? It would still be exceeding the speed limit.

I have never been ticketed for speeding in this or any other car, so like you, I'm not sure what I would do. What was the penalty for one ticket @ 52 in a 35? Not too bad, I would imagine.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:47 AM

Actually, it was $122 fine and 3 points on my record. The points were what I was most concerned about. The high penalty was for greater than 15 mph over the limit. 43 would have been within 10 of the limit and I would guess it would have been only 1 point. I still believe fighting the ticket was the right move. I just don't know if I should have called the officer on the front plate comment.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:03 AM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I suppose it was worth a try to contest. Usually, down here, you get a reduced fine/penalty when you contest, but I don't know if that's still true.

I can't really offer an opinion about what I would've done in your shoes, revs... Tough call. I guess it all depends on what you really feel about it.

I imagine cops have a pretty rote response to all this stuff (as he recounted to you at the hearing) when challenged in court.

At this point, I'd just shake it off and not think too much about it, revs. Getting bagged is just one way uncle sam makes us all into scofflaws. Don't sweat it.

Good luck.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:07 AM

Wow, 3 points is a lot more than I imagined for only 17 mph over the speed limit. People do that all the time around here, and the cops do not care at all. Of course, you were only doing 43, which makes it even more frustrating. Sorry to hear about that.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:41 AM

Would have gone for the no front plate issue. Assuming that the fine for no front plate is less than speeding. Also I would not have referanced my speed as the no front plate would have invalidated the ticket. Just my $.02
Old 10-27-2003, 10:04 AM

I'm not really stressing over it too much. It's the first time I've ever contested a ticket. I've heard stories of reducing fines when you contest. I think Vermont doesn't follow that model. They're pretty tough here. And I know in So. Cal., you have to be really doing something stupid to get a ticket, most of the time. Some of the Irvine S2000 drives were good examples.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:25 AM

You're word against the cop's, the cop will always win. I went to court over a 83 in a 65, and I had 4 passengers as witnesses that I was doing 70 all day. Guilty!, but only paid the fine for a 70 in a 65. Just me and the wife with the judge and the cop in "chambers." I brought up the fact that I was a military officer and was not impressed with the cop's attitude during the "stop." I think the judge must've been an enlisted man, cause that raised his hackles. Not a pleasant experience. Bad part is, when I accounted for the time I took off from work, the two-hour drive back to the county "of criminal act," charge for speedometer test, etc., it would've been cheaper to pay the ticket as accused.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:50 AM

qphox4,

That was the other reason I didn't bring up the front plate. And it doesn't take much to cost more than the fine. It's more of a principle thing, I guess. I was also hoping for a reduction in the fine and points just because I made the effort to go to court.

Hopefully my new Passport will prevent future "incidents".
Old 10-28-2003, 07:56 AM

Personally, I would not have contested the ticket. My feeling is that if I am guilty of doing some wrong, I myself know it, I myself pay for it, as is. I have had good luck with this in the past. I don

Quick Reply: Fought my speeding ticket. What would you have done?