S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Fought my speeding ticket. What would you have done?

Old 11-03-2003, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by REVS29K
In my case, there was no pre-trial hearing.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:12 AM

If you lived in Florida, you never would have gone to court. You would have taken your ticket down to the Traffic Justice System (a bunch of lawyers that have figured out how to beat the system and make money), handed them your ticket along with a check for $80.00 and bingo, your ticket disappears, no points, no traffic school and no insurance penalty...just a smile on your face!
Old 11-05-2003, 12:32 PM

Well guys I went to court today and fought the ticket I spoke earlier about. I was advised from a friend to call ahead and speak to the prosecutor, like Bret wrote about but guess what.... there isn't one in Small Town USA. The clerk almost laughed at me when I asked, she said "honey we don't have one for traffic court".

First off, the judge was 40 minutes LATE which really pissed me off. My time is just as valuable as his and I got up at 5:00 AM to be there by 8:30, 5 hours round trip to sit and wait on this guy. I was the first case called and the trooper got to say his 2 cents worth and that was all the judge wanted to hear. He asked me how I wanted to plead and I said "not guilty". I was sworn in and never got to tell my side of the story. It was really odd. He asked me if I had my speedometer calibrated and I replied "No because I wasn't going 70 mph". (probably a little bit of a smart ass answer but actually was the truth).

He asked the trooper how my driving record was and the trooper shuffled through his pile of papers and said "I don't have her record". Well.. Mr. Trooper - BLAM BLAM - I stepped up and said "I have a copy your honor and with a 25 year unblemished record I would like to have these points removed to keep it clean". He said "Take an 8 hour driving course, and NOT one on the internet, mail me your certificate by Jan 7, 2004 and it's wiped from your record".

Paid the clerk and left. I think having that copy of my driving record impressed him. Because it was in writing and in his hands.

The original ticket was 129.00, they reduced that to 54.00 court cost and the driving school will cost 75.00 so... I'm even except for the excessive time I have wasted doing this - and I get my +5 points back again.

I dressed up, in a nice conservative skirt, looking like a school teacher, someone who would NEVER drive fast in a sports car like an S2000.... and I was the ONLY person (except for the lawyers) who even took the time to look presentable. But I believe it does make a difference.
Old 11-05-2003, 03:52 PM

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,107 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by klassyblue
Well guys I went to court today and fought the ticket I spoke earlier about.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

REVS29K - I can't believe they didn't reduce the ticket considering your driving record. I don't spend a lot of time in traffic court these days, but 30 years ago I did. And at least in MD just showing up in court almost guaranteed a reduced fine/sentence, as long as you didn't blow it by presenting the wrong attitude. With a clean record they always reduced the charges.

Now that those younger days have passed I usually keep it within 6-8 mph of the speed limit (except for entrance/exit ramps ), which where I drive means 75% of the traffic is passing me and the police don't even blink.

The one time in the last 15 years I've been caught doing something stupid (really stupid - like proving top speed was higher than the other 2 cars on the road) I got nabbed by a trooper who claimed he got us on radar doing 99 in a 70. He obviously didn't have us on radar, but knew we wouldn't argue with the numbers. I got charged with speeding and reckless driving. This was in 'nowhere' TN.

It was a mandatory court appearance but the officer didn't show, so the prosecutor (a substitute) suggested that in lieu of making a second court date he would drop the reckless and just fine me for speeding. He told me the fine was $20. Did I argue? No.

When I went to pay it at the cashier's station she told me the fine was wrong, but since the prosecutor set it in court she couldn't change it. I asked what the fine normally was and she replied "$8". I told you it was nowhere's-ville TN.

Anyway, I assume it never showed up on my GA record because my insurance never went up. That was over 3 years ago so I guess I'm out of the woods . Am I lucky or what?

Old 11-06-2003, 07:43 AM

Congratulations klassyblue!

I've talked to a couple of other people in this area who have gone to traffic court. Apparently until a couple of years ago, they did have a pre-trial hearing and one of my co-workers was successful twice, of asking for a reduction and getting it in lieu of going to court. The same guy, though told his wife to try the same process. Only now they've gotten rid of the pre-trial process, she did the same thing I did and had the same result.

I would have loved to have called the cop on the front license plate deal, but it would have been my word against his and I'm not sure I would have won.

It is really interesting to hear how things have worked in other states.